NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,261 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking a Trading System Live

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Very Interesting, thanks for doing that.

A couple of questions:

1. From your experience, is there a cutoff for the number of trades before you find it better to try a fitted model? You mention using discrete with mine is OK with 600+ trades, but if I had only 50 trades it would not be.

2. Note that due to my stop loss, my distribution of trades has a spike at (edit: -$885) or so. How do you account for this when doing a fitted model? A fitted model would likely take a way this spike, and that would be bad, since it is present (and so large) specifically because of the stop loss. Would making 2 distributions make any sense?

Your work to this point is definitely appreciated!

Kevin

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 swz168 
Nuremberg, Germany

Experience: None
Platform: MultiCharts
Trading: Fx
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 59

Quoting 
1. From your experience, is there a cutoff for the number of trades before you find it better to try a fitted model? You mention using discrete with mine is OK with 600+ trades, but if I had only 50 trades it would not be.

That's tough to answer. It was a visual feeling. When you draw 50 trades from your data set and assume you don't have the whole data set, just the 50 trades. If you then plot for these 50 trades only the discrete distribution, then you can see that too much information is missing to do a reliable simulation. That's why I feel the need to make assumptions about the missing part of the distribution.

Now, for example if you are trading NGEC for several years, and you have then done let's say 2000 trades and plot them, then you'll will see, that the distribution chart of the 2000 trades won't differ much from that of 614 trades. It is just smoother, the shape is pretty much the same.

Currently I cannot provide a number that says you must have at least x trades, if not do a simulation with a fitted distribution model. Still have to do many tests on my side. I also think, much will depend on the strategy itself.

Quoting 
2. Note that due to my stop loss, my distribution of trades has a spike at -$450 or so. How do you account for this when doing a fitted model? A fitted model would likely take a way this spike, and that would be bad, since it is present (and so large) specifically because of the stop loss. Would making 2 distributions make any sense?

I see in your Data set, that 885 is your biggest lost, so I assume that trade consists of 2 contracts. You can see that lost in the chart below. It is at the most left of the blue distribution.

As you can see, fitting the data to Logistic distribution (red line), the spike is not removed. Indeed it can occure again, and even greater lost than that. Somehow this also reflects the reality, because there are events like black swans or other reasons, that you will exceed your loss despite your stopp loss. But the probaility exceeding lost of 1000 USD is very small, as you can see in the chart.

If you feel that this approach is not right, you can use other distribution models, where maximum and minimum profit or loss of each trade is limited. Actually, there is no limit to distribution models, you can build your own taking every details of your strategy into account. (For example there are only two outcomes: either 10$ lost or 15$ win)

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks for correcting my error : I said $425 max loss, but it should be $885.

That is good to know that you can tailor the distributions beyond a simple curve. I would bet that increases the accuracy a great deal, since it provides a better fit.

Good stuff!

swz168 
Nuremberg, Germany

swz168 View Post

Above you already know, it is a discrete simulation.

To Complete: Here are the results using a fitted logistic distribution for 100 Trades (with 10.000 Iterations)

Minimum: -2.359
Maximum: 32.038
25%. Perc.: 12.420
50%. Perc.: 15.265
75%. Perc.: 18.173

5% Perc.: 8.279
1% Perc.: 5.126

VaR-DD (95%): 45,9% (Standardtest)
VaR-DD (99%): 66,5% (Stresstest)

How to interprete these values and how to compare them with results from different methods, it is up to you, because you know the specific of your strategy.

With a fitted distribution described by mathematical functions, the simulations is quite fast. Above calculation took less than 30 seconds (first generation of i7-CPU). With discrete distribution it took about 3-5 minutes (maybe it is my fault due to inefficient implementation).

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

swz168 View Post
Above you already know, it is a discrete simulation.

To Complete: Here are the results using a fitted logistic distribution for 100 Trades (with 10.000 Iterations)

Minimum: -2.359
Maximum: 32.038
25%. Perc.: 12.420
50%. Perc.: 15.265
75%. Perc.: 18.173

5% Perc.: 8.279
1% Perc.: 5.126

VaR-DD (95%): 45,9% (Standardtest)
VaR-DD (99%): 66,5% (Stresstest)

How to interprete these values and how to compare them with results from different methods, it is up to you, because you know the specific of your strategy.

With a fitted distribution described by mathematical functions, the simulations is quite fast. Above calculation took less than 30 seconds (first generation of i7-CPU). With discrete distribution it took about 3-5 minutes (maybe it is my fault due to inefficient implementation).

Just so I am clear, is your 614 trades case (column 2) have $10K start equity, and then consists of 10,000 simulations of 614 trades each? Also, do you have a "quit" point - if the equity falls below $X, trading ceases?

Thanks!

swz168 
Nuremberg, Germany

kevinkdog View Post
Just so I am clear, is your 614 trades case (column 2) have $10K start equity, and then consists of 10,000 simulations of 614 trades each? Also, do you have a "quit" point - if the equity falls below $X, trading ceases?

Thanks!

Correct. I don't have build in any constraints. As for Monte-Carlo-Simulation, I wouldn't want to build in a quit point., because then you say for yourself stop trading if you loose for example 5000USD. That means you limit your risk. But I want to see the the real theoretical risk of the strategy. With limits, you don't see it. It is biased to better results or less risk due to "interferring". If the simulation shows that the risk exceeds in many cases your "quit point risk" then you know, that you either have set your limit too low or the strategy doesn't fit your risk appetite. With limits you won't see this.

Edit: Of course in real trading, you should limit your risk. But it should be in "harmony" with your strategies characteristik.

swz168 
Nuremberg, Germany

@kevinkdog

You are using WFO. In real trading, in which intervall (monthly, half yearly, yearly etc.) do you change and optimize your input variables for real trading? How do you determine the intervalls?

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

swz168 View Post
@kevinkdog

You are using WFO. In real trading, in which intervall (monthly, half yearly, yearly etc.) do you change and optimize your input variables for real trading? How do you determine the intervalls?

One thing I have noticed with WFO is that a lot of times ANY combination of IN/OUT periods will work. Most times, though, I tend to like to keep them to simple intervals (ie 4 years in, 1 year out). I'll use a varoety of tools to determine my IN/OUT (it is generally different for different strategies).

I generally like 3 months and up for re-optimizations, because reopting every month is a chore. Some people I know reopt every day (I don't know how successful they are).

For those of you confused by my terminology:

IN = your optimization period

OUT = the amount of time you keep parameters, before reoptimizing

For example:

IN/OUT = 252/63 = you optimize over the last 252 days of data, and you re-optimize every 63 days.

One caution: don't optimize IN/OUT periods without checking it on an out of sample period. IN/OUT parameters can be optimized like anything else, with the same bad consequences.

Thanked by:

record100 
Toronto, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: IB
Trading: YM, ES
Thanks Given: 34
Thanks Received: 44

I am still looking how to incorporate results of Monte Carlo simulation in my trading. To me simplest way forecasting risk is to calculate average trade and standard deviation of the trade. Using these results for one of my strategy I have compared Monte Carlo Simulation with Normal Distribution Simulation(based on mean and stddev) and boundaries ( mean, mean+stddev,mean-stddev). They look very similar, predicted risk almost the same.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict1.png
Views:	210
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	122663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict2.png
Views:	188
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	122664  
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

record100 View Post
I am still looking how to incorporate results of Monte Carlo simulation in my trading. To me simplest way forecasting risk is to calculate average trade and standard deviation of the trade. Using these results for one of my strategy I have compared Monte Carlo Simulation with Normal Distribution Simulation(based on mean and stddev) and boundaries ( mean, mean+stddev,mean-stddev). They look very similar, predicted risk almost the same.

Can you explain your chart a bit more? I don't quite understand:

1. why your average line is zero (edit: OK, it is not, it is just small)

2. what the Total Monte Carlo line represents

3. your SimTrade are your actual simulated results, correct?

4. For the std dev lines, I believe it is not a linear function (mean + X * stdev) where X is the number of trades. It should be square root of X. Unless your calculating something else.

Thanks for sharing!

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts