NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,261 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking a Trading System Live

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

deaddog View Post
I do not see the trade where you lost $550. Are you reporting by trade or by the day?

It occurred on 10/16. Later in the day I had a profitable trade, so the net for the day was only about -$350. Note the difference that day between "perfect" strategy performance and actual real money performance.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

MWinfrey 
Lubbock TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Stage 5 Trading
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 1,450
Thanks Received: 3,335

The situation that you describe with the limit order that didn't get cancelled is what I call an orphaned order/position. There are several reasons why this can happen and it really doesn't matter what the reason is. Bottom line is that it would be nice if NT would allow the account orders/positions to be managed the same way that you can manage strategy orders/positions. I mention this here because I have worked on this for a while and haven't found a solution mainly because NT does not support it. Let's say for example that for whatever reason you have an orphaned order/position and want your strategy to adopt that order/position so it can be managed by the strategy. Currently, any attempt to manage that account position will close your strategy and I can't find any way around this. So, if you find a solution, please post it here.

i am asking NT to support this.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Week 10 is in the books, and it was a profitable week. Still looking for a big trade from my day strategy, just haven;t gotten it yet. Still hovering around breakeven. Nothing to be proud of, but not losing significantly either.

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

kevinkdog View Post
Week 10 is in the books, and it was a profitable week. Still looking for a big trade from my day strategy, just haven;t gotten it yet. Still hovering around breakeven. Nothing to be proud of, but not losing significantly either.

Interesting. Could you adopt a simple fixed MAE e.g. $-100/-200 or whatever?, as your losses seems less frequent than winners but much larger when they occur. I know sweet f.a. about automation as yet but planning for next year so am taking a greater interest.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

ratfink View Post
Interesting. Could you adopt a simple fixed MAE e.g. $-100/-200 or whatever?, as your losses seems less frequent than winners but much larger when they occur. I know sweet f.a. about automation as yet but planning for next year so am taking a greater interest.

MAE isn't something I normally do walkforward optimization with, but yes - I could have used that as my optimization criteria. It might have made things better, but maybe not. With the night system, losses are bigger than the winners, but a lot less frequent. With the day system, winners are a lot bigger than losers, but win percentage is below 50%

At this point, though, it is too late to go back and try to improve the system. I'd probably easily find something that backtested better, but it would not mean it would work any better going forward. If I really did not like the performance, I'd be better off just starting from scratch with something else.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

kevinkdog View Post
Week 10 is in the books, and it was a profitable week.

For the record, and for the "drama" or whatever --- if this were my strategy and what not, I would quit right now -- under the grounds that the strategy is not performing as intended // as it did under tested scenarios.

We can see how that turns out for me later if you decide to continue

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Big Mike View Post
For the record, and for the "drama" or whatever --- if this were my strategy and what not, I would quit right now -- under the grounds that the strategy is not performing as intended // as it did under tested scenarios.

We can see how that turns out for me later if you decide to continue

Mike

I can certainly understand that point of view. In my case, I plan on sticking to the original plan.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

kevinkdog View Post
I can certainly understand that point of view. In my case, I plan on sticking to the original plan.

At what point do you give up?
Isnt this a bit like staying with a bad trade? You can see it's not doing what you thought it would but some thing keeps you in the trade.

rk142 
Atlanta, GA

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: N/A
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 328

Guys,

1) Kevin defined his quit point at the optimal time: before he turned on the system. So his stop is already in place. It is outside of his system's noise, and the amount of his total capital at risk on this system is clearly well within his risk tolerance.

2) Forget about fancy math. Look back at the equity curve from this post:

Are the past 10 weeks that out of character?

3) We also know that the system relies on occasional big winners. It's possible that this is a major problem with the system, but Kevin knew this before he turned it on. He was comfortable with that weakness then - he should be now.

4) None of us know what is going to happen next in the markets, or with our systems. Kevin could have turned his system on just before the system disintegrates. But his process is clear, his quit point is well defined, and he's following his plan.

Based on his posts so far on this forum I'm pretty confident that he will, as he should, soldier on. It's to his credit that he can do so publicly.

I probably couldn't.

-RK

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

deaddog View Post
At what point do you give up?
Isnt this a bit like staying with a bad trade? You can see it's not doing what you thought it would but some thing keeps you in the trade.

@rk142 describes the situation well (with my quitting point, etc.), in the post just above this one.

Is this really a "bad trade" at this point? I don't see the performance as good, by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see it as being bad, either. It is just kind of "blah." But my perception may be different from other people.

Looking at the overall walkforward and live equity curve ( ), I see probably 7 or so similar periods of performance in the past (flat to slight down for an extended period.

I think the real key is that I have a well defined quitting/stopping point in place, and it hasn't hit that yet. If and when it does, I'll quit as planned.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts