NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,352 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking a Trading System Live

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Luger View Post
As to the reasons, I believe that @Fat Tails could give us a math lesson that would prove that longer time frames should be more profitable. He posted it in another thread or threads because the timeframe topic is usually addressed as a sub-topic to something else. Though I believe it gets down to the points you made about noise and costs.

Technically, there is a sweet spot between smaller timeframe trading (scalping) and larger timeframe trading (investing). The exact location of that sweet spot depends on variable costs such as slippage and commissions. We have already discussed this subject in the thread on "Risk of Ruin".

The question was asked by @Big Mike in this post:

and I had tried to give a simplified answer here:

The main idea was to compare risk-adjusted returns. Usually the shorter timeframe system (intraday trading) comes out winner compared to the longer timeframe system (swing trading), so I am not entirely with you.
The reason is that if you trade a longer timeframe the variance of returns is much larger compared to the variance of returns of the system that trades faster. In the example discussed in the thread on "Risk of Ruin", the higher timeframe system has a risk of ruin about 1,350 times higher than the smaller timeframe system.

As the fast trading system has a lower variance of returns and thus a lower risk of ruin, you may increase leverage and trade a larger number of contracts.

However, intraday trading also has its downsides. Commissions and slippage are much higher in relation to the average return per trade. Also intraday trading takes a higher toll on the health of the trader, unless the trades are fully automated.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Excellent conversation, guys!

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Big Mike View Post
Years ago I did exclusively intraday type strategies. I also believe automation should leverage its strengths of speed (more trades, faster reaction times).

However, over the years I've drifted to portfolio strategies that trade a basket of stocks or futures. This gives me the increased frequency I demand and creates some intraday trades as a group.

I find this to literally be the holy grail and cannot encourage it enough over the traditional one strategy one instrument system.

Portfolio trading is the best way to manage risk IMO. After you do that, profits are the easy part.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

Mike -

When you develop a portfolio strategy for a basket of futures, are you using the exact same strategy for each futures instrument? If so, are you using the same parameters for each instrument, or do you "tune" for each?

What do you think makes it the Holy Grail? The diversification aspect?

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

kevinkdog View Post
Mike -

When you develop a portfolio strategy for a basket of futures, are you using the exact same strategy for each futures instrument? If so, are you using the same parameters for each instrument, or do you "tune" for each?

What do you think makes it the Holy Grail? The diversification aspect?

I have tried all kinds of options.

Presently spending my time on a single strategy with two parameters, a moving average length and an oscillator length. These same parameters have been tested against dozens and dozens of uncorrelated instruments and have produced good results in the portfolio so far.

In this case, I do use NT to optimize the entire basket/group at one time, for the best parameter across say 20 stocks over say 10 years of data.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Big Mike View Post
I have tried all kinds of options.

Presently spending my time on a single strategy with two parameters, a moving average length and an oscillator length. These same parameters have been tested against dozens and dozens of uncorrelated instruments and have produced good results in the portfolio so far.

In this case, I do use NT to optimize the entire basket/group at one time, for the best parameter across say 20 stocks over say 10 years of data.

Mike

Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much of your performance is attributable to entries and exits being of high quality, as opposed to so-so entries and exits, but with superior diversification. I personally have found that diversification plays a major role in overall success.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

kevinkdog View Post
Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much of your performance is attributable to entries and exits being of high quality, as opposed to so-so entries and exits, but with superior diversification. I personally have found that diversification plays a major role in overall success.

It's all about diversification. Any one strategy on one instrument is nothing special, but put a dozen of them in a basket and the equity curve and drawdowns can become magical.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

kevinkdog View Post

So, usually when I start development, I select short timeframe bars (1 minute to 5 minute), throw in the "set exit on close" statement to exit at the end of the day, and jump into development.

Nine times out of ten, though, the strategy fails.

I've heard FT71, on multiple occasion, talk about how it's almost totally about the exit, and that one can make money with a random entry method; and that he can prove it.

What would you say about that statement?

I think THAT would be an excellent webinar..... and thusly, shatter the academic world, and have Eugene Fama running for the hills.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

indextrader7 View Post
I've heard FT71, on multiple occasion, talk about how it's almost totally about the exit, and that one can make money with a random entry method; and that he can prove it.

What would you say about that statement?

I think THAT would be an excellent webinar..... and thusly, shatter the academic world, and have Eugene Fama running for the hills.

I would agree in principle with that assertion. Van Tharp and hedge fund manager Tom Basso did the same thing a bunch of years ago. I wrote a few articles for Active Trader Magazine a few years back looking into that - random entries, and random exits.

I think it is timeframe dependent though. A scalping strategy will probably never work with random entries. A long term swing strategy very well might.

Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I read an academic study once in college that showed how there was more skew and kurtosis in longer timeframes than shorter ones (in forex). This could also be another reason to add to the thorough ones you listed previously.

ehlaban 
Netherlands

Platform: Ensign, Multicharts
Trading: SP500
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 57

kevinkdog View Post
.... looking into that - random entries, and random exits....

Isn't it about that you can have a winning system with random entries but with non random exits.
The exit counts so it shouldn't be random.

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts