NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking a Trading System Live

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 260 posts (717 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 61 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 deaddog with 25 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swz168 with 20 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two swz168 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rk142 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 96,261 views
    2. thumb_up 1,131 thanks given
    3. group 99 followers
    1. forum 529 posts
    2. attach_file 189 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking a Trading System Live

Nicolas11 
near Paris, France

Experience: Beginner
Platform: -
Trading: -
Thanks Given: 2,232
Thanks Received: 1,769

Hi @artemiso Which kind of tools do you have in mind?

Sorry for this intrusion, @kevinkdog , and congratulations for the quality of your journal!

Nicolas

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Nicolas11 View Post
Hi @artemiso Which kind of tools do you have in mind?

Sorry for this intrusion, @kevinkdog , and congratulations for the quality of your journal!

Nicolas

Thanks. @artemiso is right. I know CTAs and hedge funds that use Tradestation, as do many retail people. But there are tons of other products much better, depending on your needs. Same goes for Excel.

For automation and backtesting specifically, I only do things I know my software can do correctly. Does that limit my systems, or make things more difficult for me? - Undoubtedly yes.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Jura   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,352
Thanks Received: 690

Hi Kevin,

Interesting thread you got here. One question:

kevinkdog View Post
For automation and backtesting specifically, I only do things I know my software can do correctly. Does that limit my systems, or make things more difficult for me? - Undoubtedly yes.

If I may ask: why don't you expand your software and/or skill set? Do you believe it won't give much benefit or do you believe in 'don't change a winning team'? Or do you have more practical objections (i.e. no spare time)?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Jura View Post
Hi Kevin,

Interesting thread you got here. One question:

If I may ask: why don't you expand your software and/or skill set? Do you believe it won't give much benefit or do you believe in 'don't change a winning team'? Or do you have more practical objections (i.e. no spare time)?

Good questions. It is probably a combination of things. Extra time is a big factor. Also, I've been able to solve my programming/strategy issues with software I have and know, although sometimes I know I am doing things the hard way (try trading exchange supported spreads with Tradestation. Oh, that's right, you can't with their main platform. So testing spread strats becomes a real chore.)

Some of it is just exposure to the "other side" - most of the people I talk to are retail, or have retail foundation (and have now moved on to CTAs, hedge funds), etc. I'm sure my tools would be different had I started in this by working at a hedge fund or bank.

I don't see myself running out of ideas to test and implement with the tools I have, but I think I know when that time might be. And if need be I'll do it.

I hope this answers your questions. It is a good topic to discuss.

Thanked by:
 artemiso 
New York, NY

Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

In this position, I'd definitely spend some time with a typical programming language (Java, C#, C++, Python, MATLAB, R). I have my personal preferences among these languages, and others in mind, but any of them would suffice.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

artemiso View Post
But I personally see profit as a nonlinear reward for the value that you add: if you're using Tradestation, then you're consuming what little value that it provides.

Does that mean you believe going to higher value tools beyond Tradestation/NT can open the door to much higher reward (ie trading profits)?

artemiso 
New York, NY

Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

kevinkdog View Post
Does that mean you believe going to higher value tools beyond Tradestation/NT can open the door to much higher reward (ie trading profits)?

Tradestation/NT remind me of Notepad in this picture of learning curves:

swz168 
Nuremberg, Germany

Experience: None
Platform: MultiCharts
Trading: Fx
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 59

artemiso View Post
Yes. My answer sounds rather philosophical but anyway: Yes in that better tools allow you to create more value, and more efficiently. Tradestation really abstracts away all of the interesting work that you can create so the little value that you're creating is just in the strategy layer.

Thanks for your post. Now I'm really curious what tools there are which costs more than NT and what value they have. Would be glad to have more details.

I agree that tools can create more value/efficiency. But in general I wouldn't agree that the more expensive the better. Maybe I just missed out some great trading software which retail traders just don't know or even can't afford.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

artemiso View Post
Whose idea was it that you must always:

1. Write strategies
2. Backtest.
3. If not promising, return to step 1.
4. Optimize/WFO etc.
5. Paper trade.

Great post! There is a lot to think about in it. My biggest gripe with retail software is that, in an attempt to make is super easy and user friendly, the software encourages and nutures a lot of bad habits, as well as creating pitfalls most people don't see until they lose money because of it (again, myself included).

Regarding the part of your post I quoted, I know that is how a lot of traders (at least retail) traders approach (myself included).

I'm curious, since you aren't from the retail world, how does your process differ, if you can share?

Thanked by:
 swz168 
Nuremberg, Germany

Experience: None
Platform: MultiCharts
Trading: Fx
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 59

I think what makes the trader successful is not the tool, but the skills of the trader. The tool is just a "helper". He can be also very succesful with tools that cost nothing.

Last Updated on January 6, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts