NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the new CME E-Micro's (E micro) MES, MNQ, MYM, M2K and other micros

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 27 posts (77 thanks)
    2. looks_two bob7123 with 23 posts (35 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 17 posts (51 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 17 posts (46 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FuturesTrader71 with 7.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 166,695 views
    2. thumb_up 945 thanks given
    3. group 160 followers
    1. forum 486 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading the new CME E-Micro's (E micro) MES, MNQ, MYM, M2K and other micros

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

SunTrader View Post
If commissions make or break a strategy it's time to re-think the strategy.

Truer words were never spoken. I was advising someone who wanted to develop a system that took profits after 1 tick/point moves and trying to make him understand the futility. And that was without commission.

I have had dozens of systems that were great, until applying slippage and commission.

~vmodus

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
WPython
Kuala Lumpur

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

I am curios about the all in cost of MYM,MES,MNQ provided by Optimus Futures. How much did it cost for 1 RT?

Since it is an introducing broker for AMP, is the price similar to what is offered by AMP? With 1 RT 0.39?

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

WPython View Post
I am curios about the all in cost of MYM,MES,MNQ provided by Optimus Futures. How much did it cost for 1 RT?

Since it is an introducing broker for AMP, is the price similar to what is offered by AMP? With 1 RT 0.39?

I was on their site yesterday (I am not a client) and recall seeing pricing there for the micros. It will depend on your monthly volume, as with most brokers.

Commission + routing + NFA + Clearing = cost per side * 2 = RT cost. You may have to do the math.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

CannonTrading   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 183

COTtrader View Post
I assume some brokers would allow one to hedge the ES over against the new micro ES.

Ken

Yes, there is a full margin break with 1:10 and partial breaks in between.

PM with any questions about Cannon Trading (800) 454-9572 (310) 859-9572. Trading commodity futures, forex and options involves substantial risk of loss. The recommendations contained in this post are of opinion only and do not guarantee any profits. These are risky markets and only risk capital should be used. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 refine 
Edmonton Alberta Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Received: 18

I have listened to the various reasons people have given for trading the Micros. At first pass they all seemed worth considering.

But....as I have looked into the viability of trading Micros I can't help but notice that the commission cost is on the verge of being absurd.

I would expect that commission costs would be slightly more just because it is a reduced size. Just like you expect to pay more on a volume basis for small single serving box of cheerios over multi kilogram bulk bag at your local grocery store. That is standard marketing.

But....Whoa! When the industry norm for ES commissions is around $5/rt.....how can they justify MES rt commission rates of up to 10X that amount?

I made my first MES trade the other day (to test out a strategy with some skin in the game...as they say).

I made 11 ticks....which was ok....

My statement came back with an all in commission of $5.24.....!?!

WTF?!?

Let me see......MES is 1/10 the size of the ES.....so that would be like paying an ES commission of over $52...!

So if I wanted to trade the MES regularly I would have to make at least 5 ticks on every trade just to cover commissions.

Guess I can scrap that scalping strategy I was thinking of trying out

With that in mind I can not figure out what the point of trading the MES would be.....other than insuring that your broker's kids can afford to get the best College education available.

All the hype around the MES when it came out suggested that it would be the "Best market innovation in years".

But, like they say, the devil is in the details.

Thanked by:

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

refine View Post
But....Whoa! When the industry norm for ES commissions is around $5/rt.....how can they justify MES rt commission rates of up to 10X that amount?

I made my first MES trade the other day (to test out a strategy with some skin in the game...as they say).

WTF?!?

Let me see......MES is 1/10 the size of the ES.....so that would be like paying an ES commission of over $52...!

Wow, that really surprises me, what brokerage do you use?

I trade Micros from time to time as well, and I pay only $0.96 RT commission with Ninja Trader Brokerage...

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

Either shop around for a more competitive broker or change your strategy.

Using the old "dog ate my homework" excuse doesn't cut it trading. Markets don't care.

Thanked by:
 refine 
Edmonton Alberta Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Received: 18

Daytrader999 View Post
Wow, that really surprises me, what brokerage do you use?

I trade Micros from time to time as well, and I pay only $0.96 RT commission with Ninja Trader Brokerage...

That to me is a fair commission price. You should be able to cover the commission cost with the first tick of profit.

Unfortunately, I can't use Ninja Brokerage because they don't accept Canadian clients

The obvious takeaway is that you need to shop around - do your due diligence.

The complicating factor is that commission rates for the MES are all over the place and a number of brokers go to great lengths to hide the true cost.

And....there are a number of posted rates that look really good up front but turn out to be classic "bait & switch" when you sign up.

Yeah....I get it....welcome to the real world ....

Thanked by:

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

refine View Post
That to me is a fair commission price. You should be able to cover the commission cost with the first tick of profit.

Unfortunately, I can't use Ninja Brokerage because they don't accept Canadian clients

The obvious takeaway is that you need to shop around - do your due diligence.

The complicating factor is that commission rates for the MES are all over the place and a number of brokers go to great lengths to hide the true cost.

And....there are a number of posted rates that look really good up front but turn out to be classic "bait & switch" when you sign up.

Yeah....I get it....welcome to the real world ....

Yup, it's quite difficult to overview all these different kind of rates offered by brokerage firms.

I'm sure that my particular commission might be undercut by several firms, but I won't change brokerage only to save a few cents...

And perhaps it might be worth a try to touch base with @mattz of Optimus Futures, just in case you want to switch to a really good company.

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,513

refine View Post
I have listened to the various reasons people have given for trading the Micros. At first pass they all seemed worth considering.

But....as I have looked into the viability of trading Micros I can't help but notice that the commission cost is on the verge of being absurd.

I would expect that commission costs would be slightly more just because it is a reduced size. Just like you expect to pay more on a volume basis for small single serving box of cheerios over multi kilogram bulk bag at your local grocery store. That is standard marketing.

WTF?!?

So if I wanted to trade the MES regularly I would have to make at least 5 ticks on every trade just to cover commissions.

Guess I can scrap that scalping strategy I was thinking of trying out

With that in mind I can not figure out what the point of trading the MES would be.....other than insuring that your broker's kids can afford to get the best College education available.

All the hype around the MES when it came out suggested that it would be the "Best market innovation in years".

But, like they say, the devil is in the details.

Hi,

You don't have a good fee structure with your current broker/clearer. Look around, you can trade it for $0.98 per turn including Rithmic/CQG fees.

This has nothing to do with the micros. I lobbied for this product from back in 2012 and I believe it is the best thing to happen to futures traders in recent history.

Best of luck!

FT71

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Last Updated on August 28, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts