NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Another TST Combine

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one garyboy275 with 44 posts (130 thanks)
    2. looks_two xelaar with 12 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 BeansTwoNiner with 8 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 6 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 6.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two garyboy275 with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xelaar with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 20,764 views
    2. thumb_up 226 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 94 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Another TST Combine

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

One thing that jumps out at me is the average size of your winner's. In oil a 5 tick move is really just noise and so ideally your average winner should be closer to 15 or 20 ticks (or more). You had two days like that. They were also some of your lowest trade volume days. I think a big clue to future success lies is in these facts...

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

Platform: Rithmic
Trading: "CL ES 6C 6E" NQ only nowadays
Thanks Given: 202
Thanks Received: 454

Surly View Post
One thing that jumps out at me is the average size of your winner's. In oil a 5 tick move is really just noise and so ideally your average winner should be closer to 15 or 20 ticks (or more). You had two days like that. They were also some of your lowest trade volume days. I think a big clue to future success lies is in these facts...

I just trade the edge but you are right. And the keyword there is "ideally". On a lot of trades I book my profit if a trade hasnt moved my way in "X" amount of time. Without going into too much detail, I expect the trade to move my way right after I enter or soon after. I dont nurse winners. There were some good trades in there that I got out on my own for various reasons, some execution errors etc. Only 14 winners over 10 tics and 19 losers over 10 tics(this is what really gets me more than the winners). If you take care of losers the winners take care of themselves. 50% of the trades are within 4 tics. The spreadsheet might have some errors, I am not done yet but I wanted to see where I stand.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 arodrigu 
Charlotte, NC

Platform: NT7
Broker: Amp Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 22

Sorry, bogus post on my part, tapatalk posted by mistake.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

Had a family emergency last night --and when I came home sat on my computer and traded like a drunken sailor. At the end of it all I could think of what FT said in one of his webinars about trading thru life's major events. For now no more posts as of now I think I have failed the combine at least on my personal level. I posted yesterday that I wouldnt not exceed $500 yet I did and I kept on adding to losers instead of trading a setup.

I didnt want to leave you guys who visit hanging but once I am back I ll do a full analysis and if I will do another combine or not. But for now, no more posts on this thread from my side.

Thanks to those who visited and contributed. Your insight was very valuable. And Bigmike for having such a wonderful site.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Hang in there and best of luck!

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BeansTwoNiner
Toronto Ontario Canada

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 35

Doing another Combine is not a bad thing. Learn and progress with each one.

I think I need 2 more posts before I can use futures.io (formerly BMT) for my journal provider.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,534

BeansTwoNiner View Post
I think I need 2 more posts before I can use futures.io (formerly BMT) for my journal provider.

Actually you don't. You can attach screenshots as soon as post #1. You just can't use external image hosts.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

The final stats on how the combine ended are shown below. The 950 negative day was really the one that broke the camel's back. I didnt get stopped out and still had another 1000 in Max DD and another 7-8 days I could trade but I was just not trading well. I traded 2 days after that day and both went well, not cause I was trading well but maybe cause the market went my way. My take from taking the combine so far is

It money spent well--I know people beat them up that its sim but I personally have traded the sim at the same time as the practice combine, In the sim there is no "real world" feel or pressure to it. I made 9-12k back to back days on 150k, so that basically means you could complete the 150k combine in 2 days but is it going to happen ? I doubt it.

On my losing days I need to stop before i do too much damage. Sometimes I make the money back but overall its a losing proposition. I am trading best when I take losses as easily as winners. I need to work on my patience too. For me personally all in all out works best. There is no attachment to the trade and I can see the market objectively, if I have even 1 lot position it skews my view.

You need to know the ins and outs of the platform. It is a buggy platform and has lot of shortcomings and with TST's restrictions such as using Auto OCO's or no fill until price has gone thru your level on exits(whereas FIFO in reallife) etc you need to have a strategy of how you are going to cover the shortcomings of either the firm,platform or other things that are not under your control but you are still responsible for them.

Gaming the combine's stats is a losing proposition in the longer term. Some of their stat requirements are questionable but you can request a custom combine.

Having the journal here is also adding to the pressure so if I do another combine I would pass on having a journal here.

Thanked by:
BeansTwoNiner
Toronto Ontario Canada

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 35

I'm sure others have pointed out to you and Hoag, but your average loser is greater than your average winner. its only a matter of time before you hit your loss limits again.

Have you considered CTD?

Thanked by:
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

BeansTwoNiner View Post
I'm sure others have pointed out to you and Hoag, but your average loser is greater than your average winner. its only a matter of time before you hit your loss limits again.

Have you considered CTD?

Making blanket statements only shows what you "think" you know. I havent posted deeper stats which I do have but havent posted.

With a 62% win ratio and an avg win to loss ratio of 2:3 its still positive expectancy. Thats after all the bad trades, glitches with software, bad orders, not getting filled on FIFO etc. Might not seem much to you but I know where I need to improve and CTD (inspite of their constant push towards it-almost to the point of spamming) I doubt could improve what I need to improve.

BTW are you associated with TST in any paid capacity that you are benefitting from them?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts