NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

DTs Pre Market Prep

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 1,135 posts (6,417 thanks)
    2. looks_two WilleeMac with 13 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 13 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 12 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 5.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DavidHP with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 331,363 views
    2. thumb_up 6,587 thanks given
    3. group 285 followers
    1. forum 1,333 posts
    2. attach_file 1,518 attachments

Search this Thread

DTs Pre Market Prep

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

16th February

Still volatile - but with volume stabilizing at just below 2M.

This is still not the ES that really wants to respect levels. Still a market that is nervous.

So still playing short term bounces, with the short term direction. Confirmed with Nasdaq and Dow.

Sorry there's not much more to add - but I think levels are out the window while this market is so volatile.

We have seen more depth in the book - but we are still seeing sweeps 5-6 ticks at a time and very few prints as we move through prices. So careful out there!

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

19th Feb

Markets closed for Presidents day - enjoy the break!

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread

20th Feb

Once again, the market appears to have settled down. But we are looking at a holiday day and an overnight session.

Range overnight at the time of writing is just 12.5 points and market depth is below 50 on the inner 3-4 levels and below 200 above that. So we look set for another volatile day. Eyes on the depth as we get towards 9am EST.

We do potentially have a range there 2720-2750. For today - expectations are we still wont be honoring levels as the market will be illiquid and nervous. There's no news events today, so the best we can hope for is an injection of some much needed boredom, so that we can have a more stable market.

For now - if we get the volatility, will still be trying to take advantage of some momentum on one side and trying to time an entry off counter-move traders running out of steam.

Thanked by:

21st Feb

The market range has reduced but the environment for trading is still not where S&P traders like it.

Yesterday at one point, we swept 10 prices in less than 5 seconds. No news event, no warning. Those sweeps the rest of the day were evident but that was the biggest I saw.

It seems from a brokerage perspective - this is turning into a 'memorable' event - up there with Brexit. Brokers I've spoken to have had some traders lose more than their account balance but so far, I haven't heard of any broker getting wiped out by traders not paying.

I do think it's calming down. For the sweeps, it's hard to tell if it's liquidity providers getting out of the way a lot of the time but the 10 tick sweep yesterday was at least 3000 contracts.

Interesting times but I'm going to be on the lookout for those sweeps before engaging today.

The good thing about the sweeps, is we do get a good bounce after but to capitalize on that, you really have to be watching like a hawk.

Thanked by:

Psy24X 
Milano, Italy, EU

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja + Jigsaw
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 130
Thanks Received: 25

DionysusToast View Post
21st Feb
Yesterday at one point, we swept 10 prices in less than 5 seconds. No news event, no warning. Those sweeps the rest of the day were evident but that was the biggest I saw.

Hi Pete, do you remember around what time that sweep occured?

Sherlock Holmes

Thanked by:
Doc1
Santa Barbara CA United States

Thanks Given: 162
Thanks Received: 0

Yup, saw that one too, and a few others...stay frosty

DionysusToast View Post
21st Feb

The market range has reduced but the environment for trading is still not where S&P traders like it.

It seems from a brokerage perspective - this is turning into a 'memorable' event - up there with Brexit. Brokers I've spoken to have had some traders lose more than their account balance but so far, I haven't heard of any broker getting wiped out by traders not paying.

I do think it's calming down. For the sweeps, it's hard to tell if it's liquidity providers getting out of the way a lot of the time but the 10 tick sweep yesterday was at least 3000 contracts.

Interesting times but I'm going to be on the lookout for those sweeps before engaging today.

The good thing about the sweeps, is we do get a good bounce after but to capitalize on that, you really have to be watching like a hawk.

22nd Feb

Market has much more depth 200-300 a level heading into the open. It was an FOMC day, so while we did see a 50 point range, it was mostly after the FOMC announcement and there wasn't significant volume on the day.

As of typing we are back to less than 100 at each level. So I'm back to waiting this AM to see if the depth comes back and if not, if we are clear of that wild sweeping behavior.

All things being well, if we have an orderly market, we'll be able to play some momentum moves.

Thanked by:

Psy24X View Post
Hi Pete, do you remember around what time that sweep occured?

Sherlock Holmes

I think it was 9:41 or 10:41 - can't remember which now!

Thanked by:

23rd Feb

Hopefully, the last of the 'shorter' preps.

The market has calmed down a little but it's not so much the daily range but the fact that a lot of the market depth is back.

We also saw a bunch of "normal" things happening in the market yesterday - such as headfaking through the old high, traders getting trapped and the market being driven back through them - all over a range of a few ticks (as opposed to sliding 20 or so).

Two events stood out yesterday - "A" - a high volume spike which was a short term reversal point - indicating short term speculators playing and "B" - a very typical headfake up through an old level and then a push down - usually that's to shake people into and then out of positions...

Doesn't mean much on the history chart but as this was playing out, you could see it was returning back to normality.

In my opinion, if these plays are back on - it means we are returning to normality somewhat. As such, it's back to regular overnight prep starting Monday.

Fingers crossed all hell doesn't break loose in the meantime!

Thanked by:

26th Feb

'

Going on the presumption that markets are 'somewhat' back to normal (see here: https://www.jigsawtrading.com/2018/02/26/volatility-return-normal/). Overnoght we've broken through the high of last week and held above it, so will be using that as a line in the sand today.

A very wide range last week, with the main distrubution topping out around 2734.2 (weekly VAL). Eyes on that if we move down.

Zooming in, we can see we tested last weeks close and stayed above it. No sign of weakness yet.

Plan
- look for an early trade - volume into the open
- after that, look for continuation up if we stay above Fridays high
- shorts below Fridays high with a target of 2736
- Easy does it though.... look for good prices and be wary of any major sweeps/volatility disappearing

Weekly Numbers
Range - 2682 -> 2847.75
Value - 2709.25 -> 2734.25

Daily Numbers
Range - 2710 / 2712.75 -> 2747.50
Value - 2714.25 -> 2729.75
Globex - 2742.50 -> 2761.50

Settlement –2748.75

Long Term Levels - 2401.25, 2480.75, 2510, 2556.50, 2596.50, 2673.25, 2698.25, 2810

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 7, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts