NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My Personal Combine

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Sayounara with 65 posts (28 thanks)
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 7 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xelaar with 7 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 BeansTwoNiner with 6 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ratfink with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two BeansTwoNiner with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 xelaar with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Sayounara with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,696 views
    2. thumb_up 45 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 99 posts
    2. attach_file 100 attachments

Search this Thread

My Personal Combine

Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

Thanks Given: 100
Thanks Received: 81

xelaar View Post
I think in the type of trading you are doing a confirmation will make you enter later but will not help with a losing trade. Try to find a filter factor from an aspect you are not currently basing your setups for. Such as precise time of day range, or around top of the hour when most activity happens, or key levels.

But in any case don't beat yourself too hard - we had a ridiculous market yesterday, nothing was working for me as well. And further we go into summer, harsher you need to be with a decision when not to trade at all. Check the currently traded volume and if it is much less than average - pass on it. With your breakout/momentum entries you need volume and participation to produce healthy runs, low volume will give you fakeouts and spikes all over the place.

I'm thinking about going over my last few week's trading and build a profile for my best trades. I've been so immersed in price action while trading, that I concentrated only on how I felt the market would do instead of on specific patterns. I want to see what my best/worst trades look like, and try to discern any pattern that could improve my trading.

yesterday's experiment with letting my trades run longer had ended up disastrous. but at least I found out that I couldn't handle the emotional strain of large wins going back to zero and large losses. so today I'll be reversing back to concentrating on getting my 1st scale. I always feel much more relaxed and could let the rest run longer after the 1st scale.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Make sure to note you are trading a generally very thin market during the most illiquid times. You should expect great slippages when moving live. Also, TST won't let you trade outside of US trading hours initially, so assume you would have to trade from 7 AM to 3 PM CST.

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

no stats today, because I did something really bad last night that messed it up.

Thanked by:
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

last night when trading didn't go well I thought "what am I doing here? who am I kidding? I ain't cut to be trader." and I really felt that I should give it up.

today I went over the chart, marking my trades, I could clearly see that, had I done what I needed to do at the required time, I could have ended the day at least break even.

of course I wouldn't give up anyway. if I hadn't been keeping this journal, I'd probably sulk for a few days and then start searching for a new holy grail.

but the journal has shown me that I don't need to look for a new trading method. what I must change is me. I already know what to do, now I must make myself do it.

so today I'm going to start monitoring myself, changing my focus from trading profits to doing the right thing. I'll stop checking my profit/loss tick by tick, and start asking myself with the completion of every bar - "what's the right thing to do now?"

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

Sayounara View Post
so today I'm going to start monitoring myself, changing my focus from trading profits to doing the right thing. I'll stop checking my profit/loss tick by tick, and start asking myself with the completion of every bar - "what's the right thing to do now?"

Maybe logging your feelings or just verbalising them at each stage could be useful too - we can't (and shouldn't) try to control our feelings but, as you rightly identify, we have to work extra hard to control our behaviour and actions.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

last night I hit my daily loss limit early on and had to stop trading for the combine.

it was caused by my inability to cut losses short. I wanted to be right all the time that I couldn't accept a loss until it really hurted. I've now marked this as my biggest obstacle to trading success.

Thanked by:
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

took a few days off to recharge my battery and to re-think my strategy.

last friday's attempt to cut my losses short had resulted in my cutting most of my winners prematurely. I've been pouring over my charts ever since to investigate ways to limit my losses. so far I could only conceive that using lower timeframes is possibly one way to do it. so today I've dropped my trading chart to 89 volumes and experimented with asian session.

BeansTwoNiner
Toronto Ontario Canada

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 35

I've enrolled in TSTU CTD and went through the lectures of Closes, Candlesticks and Candlesticks Math, your comments on your charts suggest to me, you're living candle by candle.

Just might be something to look into.

The Course has lots to offer as I thought I knew what I was doing and turns out to be the complete opposite.

My last 30 days of recorded trades produced a consistent win average but not enough to pass a combine for funding.

CTD has also taught me how to look at and interpret multiple time frames, also important.

Basically, everything from the Freshman level are the basics to trading but is the foundation for more advanced stuff.

I wasted years of my time trying to figure things out on my own, its "cheaper" to just pony up and get the correct education.

Thanked by:
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

BeansTwoNiner View Post
I've enrolled in TSTU CTD and went through the lectures of Closes, Candlesticks and Candlesticks Math, your comments on your charts suggest to me, you're living candle by candle.

Just might be something to look into.

The Course has lots to offer as I thought I knew what I was doing and turns out to be the complete opposite.

My last 30 days of recorded trades produced a consistent win average but not enough to pass a combine for funding.

CTD has also taught me how to look at and interpret multiple time frames, also important.

Basically, everything from the Freshman level are the basics to trading but is the foundation for more advanced stuff.

I wasted years of my time trying to figure things out on my own, its "cheaper" to just pony up and get the correct education.

thank you for the suggestion. I'd love to enter the course but I just don't have the money for it.

so far I feel that the most important thing in trading is to control losses. what does CTD teach about loss control? any specific technique you could share?

Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

Last Updated on August 3, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts