NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My Personal Combine

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Sayounara with 65 posts (28 thanks)
    2. looks_two xelaar with 7 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 7 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 BeansTwoNiner with 6 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ratfink with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two BeansTwoNiner with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 xelaar with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Sayounara with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,632 views
    2. thumb_up 45 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 99 posts
    2. attach_file 100 attachments

Search this Thread

My Personal Combine

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Sayounara View Post
Thank you! yours is the truly inspirational one. I never thought people could trade like you do. if it were not for the combine results, I'd have believed you were a fraud. looking forward to your interview with Eddy and Hoag. eager to learn whatever I can from you.

Well its not all roses, T4 sim is very optimistic on slippage, it's simulating exit slippage but not entry slippage. But I am working on this issue, so ultimately system is valid, even if live results would have larger losses than in LTP and similar to Combine, and smaller wins.

Could you describe your approach briefly? I am very intrigued.

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
17 thanks
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

Thanks Given: 100
Thanks Received: 81

xelaar View Post
Well its not all roses, T4 sim is very optimistic on slippage, it's simulating exit slippage but not entry slippage. But I am working on this issue, so ultimately system is valid, even if live results would have larger losses than in LTP and similar to Combine, and smaller wins.

Could you describe your approach briefly? I am very intrigued.

my approach is a mess, I don't have hard fixed rules, and I found that I'm constantly tweaking it to this day, I'm a bit embarrassed to describe it, since there are so many issues to fix, and I don't even feel confident that I'll remain profitable next week.

basically, I use a higher time frame chart to determine market direction, currently it's 10x my active trading chart time frame. then I look for favorable price action on my active trading chart, currently it's a 222 volume chart.

I don't know how to describe favorable price action, since it's purely discretional. the same price action could be deemed favorable under one market condition, but unfavorable under other conditions. it's a feeling that I've been developing by watching the market everyday for a year. and I'm still not confident enough to try a real combine. at this stage, I really feel that I'm in no position to offer anything to anybody regarding trading.

as for slippage, that has also been my main worry for trading live with large size. when you go live, could you please share your 1st hand experience in this area? I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Sayounara View Post
my approach is a mess, I don't have hard fixed rules, and I found that I'm constantly tweaking it to this day, I'm a bit embarrassed to describe it, since there are so many issues to fix, and I don't even feel confident that I'll remain profitable next week.

basically, I use a higher time frame chart to determine market direction, currently it's 10x my active trading chart time frame. then I look for favorable price action on my active trading chart, currently it's a 222 volume chart.

I don't know how to describe favorable price action, since it's purely discretional. the same price action could be deemed favorable under one market condition, but unfavorable under other conditions. it's a feeling that I've been developing by watching the market everyday for a year. and I'm still not confident enough to try a real combine. at this stage, I really feel that I'm in no position to offer anything to anybody regarding trading.

as for slippage, that has also been my main worry for trading live with large size. when you go live, could you please share your 1st hand experience in this area? I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you read price action well but you may find you can benefit from a more defined trading plan.
I have traded my setups from combine live already, check out my first journal. 'watch me fly...'

Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

xelaar View Post
Looks like you read price action well but you may find you can benefit from a more defined trading plan.
I have traded my setups from combine live already, check out my first journal. 'watch me fly...'

well, I do have a trading plan, it consists of roughly 3 guidelines:

1. take my setups courageously.
2. manage my positions correctly.
3. control my downside rigorously.

I just haven't been able to follow them strictly...

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

Sayounara View Post
I just haven't been able to follow them strictly...

Then you have successfully identified the enemy! Always the first step for all of us.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

I'm getting no datafeed from CTS so my chart won't update. if tomorrow the problem is fixed, I might use sierrachart's replay feature to go over tonight's trading.

Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

As of 9:40 EST, it is fixed now.... I (and others) had the same problem, but everything is working OK now...

Thanked by:
Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

replayed last night's session.

Sayounara
Yokohama South Korea

I had the habit of moving my stoploss to breakeven when price has moved a few ticks in my favor. and it had costed me quite a number of profitable trades. nowadays what I do is that once I'm in a trade, I start looking for the nearest technical point to move my stoploss to and simultaneously try to scale out half of my position at 1:1 RR.

it has helped me very much in controlling my drawdown. and it has also the added benefit of calming me down. once I got my 1st scale out, I have very little problem of holding onto the other half. but at the same time it has also cut my profit short.

lately I have began to notice how differently the market behaves under different market conditions. so I feel that the better approach might be to adapt my trade management to different market conditions.

1. weak trending and range days, scale out 1/2, manage the rest.
2. on strong trending days, all-in-all-out.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

also you may want to check out a tactic to hold on to your original stoploss until one test of your entry happens that would stop you out if you were at be, and move to be quickly after. usually more than one test means a weak entry and bad trade but one test is usually almost guaranteed

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 3, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts