NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Five A Day

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ratfink with 265 posts (281 thanks)
    2. looks_two GFIs1 with 30 posts (42 thanks)
    3. looks_3 podski with 14 posts (16 thanks)
    4. looks_4 CPRICE76 with 7 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Daytrader999 with 1.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two GFIs1 with 1.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ratfink with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 podski with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 48,924 views
    2. thumb_up 388 thanks given
    3. group 18 followers
    1. forum 352 posts
    2. attach_file 98 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Five A Day

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

ratfink View Post
This post hurts, I mean really hurts. This is the post that makes you wish you had never started a journal and agreed to make it honest. I hope it hurts enough to make me learn something from it.

After 5 trades this morning I was up +8T. After a further 5 trades this afternoon I was up another +44T. Why didn't I stop there? I have no idea. Stupidity, greed, who knows.

I decided to switch to the Dow and almost immediately the red mist descended, the red mist that still leaves major question marks over my head in the attempt to answer the TimeToQuit decision. In an absolute maelstrom of trades I finally crawled away, down -134T after trading for an hour like a complete idiot, staring at a screen that was telling me exactly what to do and just blindly doing the opposite, continuously.

I could have, should have, switched bias or just walked at any point. I failed miserably, totally to do so. A trader would have easily switched or shut it down and walked. Good analysis or a sophisticated system won't help me one little bit if I simply can't behave like a trader needs to and accept the one and only greatest statement on any damn screen - the sodding trend.

Until I can totally deal with these issues, I am no trader, not even close.

@ratfink: Thank you very much for these great insights.

I really know what you're talking about since I made the same experience MANY times...
And I think we all go / have gone through this, and even in that particular moment when we believe we've come over that issue the same s**t happens again...

IMO real progress is defined by the decreasing number of these (fairly inevitable) Events as we're all only human (are any HFT's around here ? )...and after experiencing that event several times I decided (against any good advise I received) to establish a daily profit goal, which has helped me a lot to overcome this issue so far.

@GFIs1: Since I still got a regular daytime job, I have to be one of the poor retailers trading the noisy afternoon sessions...

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

ratfink View Post
Done for the day with just 4 Dax Sprint trades, 3 careful winners and 1 tossy loser for a net +28T to complete a solid week with a final total of +180T in the two accounts combined, best I've managed for a long while and I think not in great trading conditions so I'm happy with that.

Congrats on a good week.!

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

ratfink View Post
This post hurts, I mean really hurts. This is the post that makes you wish you had never started a journal and agreed to make it honest.

In an absolute maelstrom of trades I finally crawled away, down -134T

I think we all appreciate your honesty it would be easy to forget this post - but you are made of better stuff so good on you.

I beat myself up about these things though I know I shouldn't.

Keep trucking! you be were you want to be sooner than you think!

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

Finished blubbering now, back to business. Really appreciate the support from all who come in here, thank you.

ES has blown out of targets as expected, trend still up for now as per Gann expectations, Euro hit its weekly resistance and has lost a short term extension, will look later or at the w/e to see where we are. Will see if Dax puts in the terminal wedge or really starts to lift out.

Have taken Dow out of the Sprint account, trying to trade 3 sessions is just plain dumb.
Remembered now that the first 4 dumb f*ck trades were fat fingers as it uses a different default expiry time, this is bad of the platform but dumb blindness so my fault, accepted now, moving on.

I felt the head fire, I know its mine, I must catch it and walk away faster. Pegged the washing out in the sun this morning, listened to the birds, said thanks for being alive. Tomorrow should be there but today should be taken.

Have used the futures.io (formerly BMT) Options panel to cut down all unnecessary posts (e,g news, other platforms, weird markets.)

Have gas engineers in (again) this afternoon, will be on remote access but likely not trading until post Fed.

Plan is made for next year now, get myself sorted out, discretionary trade only the Dax, start to build the strategy box for ES/Dow/Euro on the back of a distributed network export of my current system properties. Oh, and try and act like a trader, using the main account with a decent R/R.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

ratfink View Post
Finished blubbering now, back to business. Really appreciate the support from all who come in here, thank you.

ES has blown out of targets as expected, trend still up for now as per Gann expectations, Euro hit its weekly resistance and has lost a short term extension, will look later or at the w/e to see where we are. Will see if Dax puts in the terminal wedge or really starts to lift out.

Have taken Dow out of the Sprint account, trying to trade 3 sessions is just plain dumb.
Remembered now that the first 4 dumb f*ck trades were fat fingers as it uses a different default expiry time, this is bad of the platform but dumb blindness so my fault, accepted now, moving on.

I felt the head fire, I know its mine, I must catch it and walk away faster. Pegged the washing out in the sun this morning, listened to the birds, said thanks for being alive. Tomorrow should be there but today should be taken.

Have used the futures.io (formerly BMT) Options panel to cut down all unnecessary posts (e,g news, other platforms, weird markets.)

Have gas engineers in (again) this afternoon, will be on remote access but likely not trading until post Fed.

Plan is made for next year now, get myself sorted out, discretionary trade only the Dax, start to build the strategy box for ES/Dow/Euro on the back of a distributed network export of my current system properties. Oh, and try and act like a trader, using the main account with a decent R/R.

Good stuff Ratfink. Rooting for you. When you have some time would you elaborate more on your binary options trading and show some screenshots?
Thanks
Alex

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

xelaar View Post
Good stuff Ratfink. Rooting for you. When you have some time would you elaborate more on your binary options trading and show some screenshots?
Thanks
Alex

Sure, for the ultra short term stuff my two main charts are a momentum range chart, 89 ema/sma, the rest are own built indys:

And an s/t fdax chart, own indys apart from Harry's anaSuperTrendM11, I only added that a couple of days ago - but if you ask me it's bloody useless if you ignore it.

And for the trading interface I just triggered a random minimum stake trade for you, the upper panel shows how simple the controls are for their current quote, the lower panel graphics display current profit/loss situations for 1 or multiple concurrent trades, any direction. No interference with trades possible once they are running, entry is always at their quoted strike (current market + small spread), exit is based on exact market price. Time expiries vary across different instruments from 1, 2, 5, 20 minutes, Dax starts at 2, Dow and Euro at 1, crazy I know.

I used to trade the older style 5 minute binary options, in fact I built a custom Ninja panel for it but they are a real b*gger with fixed time intervals and wide ranging, fast moving spreads. Even so I did manage +400% in 30 trades in one month - but then fat fingered it away in 3 days - so we stopped that particular game ...

I enjoy the fast short term stuff and probably will continue to do it but more frustratingly my medium term analysis has been bang on for months now and I don't make nearly enough use of it, let alone trade it. Next year, next year, we will see.

p.s. the trade came in, I owe you £8.10.

Travel Well
Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

ratfink View Post
Sure, for the ultra short term stuff my two main charts are a momentum range chart, 89 ema/sma, the rest are own built indys:

And an s/t fdax chart, own indys apart from Harry's anaSuperTrendM11, I only added that a couple of days ago - but if you ask me its bloody useless if you ignore it.

And for the trading interface I just triggered a random minimum stake trade for you, the upper panel shows how simple the controls are for their current quote, the lower panel graphics display current profit/loss situations for 1 or multiple concurrent trades, any direction. No interference with trades possible once they are running, entry is always at their quoted strike (current market + small spread), exit is based on exact market price. Time expiries vary across different instruments from 1, 2, 5, 20 minutes, Dax starts at 2, Dow and Euro at 1, crazy I know.

I used to trade the older style 5 minute binary options, in fact I built a custom Ninja panel for it but they are a real b*gger with fixed time intervals and wide ranging, fast moving spreads. Even so I did manage +400% in 30 trades in one month - but then fat fingered it away in 3 days - so we stopped that particular game ...

I enjoy the fast short term stuff and probably will continue to do it but more frustratingly my medium term analysis has been bang on for months now and I don't make nearly enough use of it, let alone trade it. Next year, next year, we will see.

p.s. the trade came in, I owe you £8.10.

Thank you very much

I played a bit with binaries a year ago, ones from GFT. But those differ in a way you can sell your stake before the expiration, albeit at big discount. It might be a better way to trade fast stuff as you don't suffer from fake outs, stop runs, springs.

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

xelaar View Post
Thank you very much

I played a bit with binaries a year ago, ones from GFT. But those differ in a way you can sell your stake before the expiration, albeit at big discount. It might be a better way to trade fast stuff as you don't suffer from fake outs, stop runs, springs.

You're welcome. I find the 'no interference' aspect is better for me, unless I've got Saturn in Uranus like yesterday ..

Travel Well
Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Just a note to self from @Adamus journal (quoting Al I think):

Travel Well
Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

It's a great one

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on March 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts