NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why did apple mini calls lost so much although price went higher...?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two TraderTed with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 traderwerks with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 2 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two atata with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 traderwerks with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TraderTed with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 3,306 views
    2. thumb_up 11 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 12 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Why did apple mini calls lost so much although price went higher...?

TraderTed 
Hamburg + Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Motive Wave, Oanda
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 15

whatnext View Post
Futures options value increases with volitity - not stock options; they decrease like FT said.

@whatnext The stock options value do increases with volatility, but the problem here was, that the volatility was high already because of earnings comming. And the calls were high in price because of the high volatility when I bought them.
So I planed my risk reward on the basis of high level vol without realizing that the imp vol would fall out of bed right after earnings and with it the option price.

I did expect a to win between $35 to $48 with a risk of $34 in about 3 days. And if the volatility had remained unchanged it would have worked, because the stock did exactly, what I expected. I probably would have sold the call on fridays highs a bit before my target.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

atata 
Calgary, AB

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT, IB, TOS, MC
Broker: IB, Rithmic
Trading: CL, ES, GC, ZS, ZB
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 99

TraderTed, you have experienced volatility crush... one popular trading method is to sell vol through earning season /mostly using Iron Condors/ on weekly options. Obviously there is more to it but the basic idea is you have to look for a stock which has approx twice as much vol on the current options on the day before earnings reporting than the monthly or next week options. Volatility after earnings will adjust to "normal" circumstances, ie next week or monthly vol. If you still want to buy options than you have to buy deep in the money especially in a high vol environment such as just before earnings. My understanding Tom Sosnoff /you can check out tastytrade.com his new venture/ who was one of the founder of TOS won't buy any options - if he ever does - with less than 90 delta. Also vol is different for each stock so you always have to make sure you compare apple to apple and not stock to another stock.

If TOS is having such restrictions than I think your better choice might be other than TOS Interactive Brokers - IB if you want to trade US markets or any markets actually, however I am not sure if IB would be the same in Germany as in Canada. IB is probably the best broker for Canadians as per commissions, trading flexibility, etc... If you are living outside of the US than trading can be very different experience. From Canada we don't have access to Traders Workstation in every province, TOS charges a "lot" more for commissions than in the US, OptionsXpress /CharlesSchwab/ just closed Cad operations end of last year. Most of the Canadian brokers. ex.: usual drill is 9.95 + 1.25 per options contracts... IB does not seem to differentiate which country you are coming from rather what are your trading. As far as my understanding goes I pay the same via IB as a US citizen trading ex. goog or aapl options. Also all the goodies are available as per credit/debit spreads, calendars, bflys etc... or any kind of custom monster you can think of.

IB US Commissions

Please note that IB is not as "hand holding" as TOS, their system is not as user friendly as TOS /longer learning curve/ however you cn fire a space shuttle from IB TWS platform... also note IB will terminate any position /I believe it is fully automated on their end/ to ensure that they won't have to assume your risk... learned it on the hard way...

Hope this helps,

atata
p.s.: another site you can check out to speed up your training on options is John Carter's simpleroptions.com

wie geht's?

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

traderwerks View Post

This is the implied volume chart for AAPL

This picture shows it all. After the earnings release implied volatility dropped from 43% to 26%, leaving the out-of-the money calls next to worthless.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 27, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts