NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading fast markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 561 posts (1,328 thanks)
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 29 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 podski with 26 posts (60 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 22 posts (51 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two podski with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 garyboy275 with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 207,336 views
    2. thumb_up 1,985 thanks given
    3. group 121 followers
    1. forum 978 posts
    2. attach_file 516 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading fast markets

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Nothing interesting in CL and GC - no good trade locations, no good trades. Took few shots just for the sake of taking. Some good some bad on CL and all bad in GC, it's just crawling and busting stops. Low volume strange day. Columbus day in US. We shall see tomorrow. Nothing to record yet.

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
TheDude
london

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 162

Personally I wont be trading much until Thursday because of the big looming decision.

I see no reason why paper will be in the market until then so why bother?

Expect slow markets until Thursday - but I'm often wrong!!

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

TheDude View Post
Personally I wont be trading much until Thursday because of the big looming decision.

I see no reason why paper will be in the market until then so why bother?

Expect slow markets until Thursday - but I'm often wrong!!

I agree with you. Not only it is dangerous to trading real money or even Combine, it is also dangerous for system development or forward walking - what you get is not a normal market results, these are abnormal conditions and may cause to dump a perfectly reasonable system or build one exploiting very rare phenomenons like we have now.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Very slow market today, all times high. But order flow is easy to read, tape is clear. Nice day.

When market moves like that I can read tape easy, but last week it was at all impossible, hectic and relentless.

Gold wise like I considered back then it is only worth trading when it moves big directionally, I think break of the level, limit entry few ticks in front on level on a pullback and 20 ticks stop, otherwise gold is not worth trading, it's algo trading jungle

Thanked by:

tinkug112 
Vizag+india

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Nifty
Thanks Given: 110
Thanks Received: 89

Hi Xelaar,
Question: what path did you follow to read tape.
I am just watching tape for few hours daily , I see few things getting cleared , but it is not a structured way to read tap.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

tinkug112 View Post
Hi Xelaar,
Question: what path did you follow to read tape.
I am just watching tape for few hours daily , I see few things getting cleared , but it is not a structured way to read tap.

It's pointless to look at the tape in arbitrary places, it becomes important to judge which way it would go when price is getting stuck around key level, consolidation border, major high or low, daily high or low. Then you should look for imbalances on the ladder, cumulative delta on tape and see where it is moving. If you see price approached high and stops but buys still coming you know there is a lot of absorption, and if it breaks it is likely these who sold there will have to puke and buy back. If you see such a situation (you can see a huge imbalance on DAX ladder on the screenshot) chances are it will break. It is best to find a good entry place when buying pressure will ease up and price pulls back, and get in long to join the forces with those who run that level.

There are different situations, where sentiment is going the other way and we are fading the pullback, then it is advantageous to find a place to get in line with the sentiment. But it can be tricky.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Traded a whole bunch of instruments today: GC, CL, ES, NQ, YM.

Nothing interesting in GC, a couple of small winners, just to test out ATM strategies. But price action was nice.

Same in NQ, a couple of small winners.

Enjoyed YM, I will see if I will add it to my instrument basket, I like it, even if commission-wise it is in disadvantage, so only to focus on intra-day swings.

CL - only two trades, one loser and one winner with a runner. Nice.

A whole big struggle in ES. I totally realize I have a wrong approach for ES. There is an interesting aspect of ES being a pretty good instrument to read order flow, and almost all of my trades go into profit by 3-4 ticks, but the problem is it is too little to take even for a scale, and then it comes back and hits my stop. Very rotational market. I am not going to focus on it right now but I will keep tab on it.

All in all, I will focus for now on trading Crude and mini-Dow, and will look for big moves on Gold and try to get on that bus. I will not be trading gold with pattern approach, only with momentum.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

This is what I mean by struggle in ES. Not a big loss, pretty much up and down. But I just don't feel this market.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Only one DAX trade today. Had potential of being a huge runner, but never happened, range bound day so far, could turn into a reversal one.

+7 points on scale-out, +2 points on runner

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Very tired today. Nervous markets waiting for the news, but good patterns nevertheless.

Tried many things. But the bottom line is very simple - go with the order flow, fade the weakness, reinforce the strength.

I was lately looking for a formalization of my patterns. To be able to write them down clearly in trading plan, forward walk them, build statistical evidence. They should not lead to small scalps, save money on commissions and preferably be scalable to longer term trading too.

I have some results contradicting with my previous trading patterns. They did eventually produced profits, but most likely I would be better off trading the other way around and have smaller drawdowns.

In a nutshell:
1. I should not fade new HOD or LOD, I would only consider it when weakness is evidential there, large pullback, failure to break, reversing order flow and flipping liquidity on the ladder. It is still tricky as these levels act like a strong magnet. I can see that to successfully fade it, it is better if new swing high/low has failed to get closer than 10 ticks to HOD/LOD and magnet effect is absent. Then I would consider fading this high or low.
2. I should look to run matching highs or lows, pretty much like I did in my first combine, as they also act like a magnet since people locate stops behind. Trade should be aligned with the order flow. I would look at contracting range with one side having matching highs or lows, and enter against these matching side in a bet it would break and result in a surge of order flow. Having a pressure on ladder is required to confirm order flow.

This is pretty much it. I want to keep it as clean and easy as possible. I like trading with the order flow and will continue to concentrate on it. My aim is to get on a big runner and run it hopefully for hours.

Last Updated on May 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts