NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading fast markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 561 posts (1,328 thanks)
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 29 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 podski with 26 posts (60 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 22 posts (51 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two podski with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 garyboy275 with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 205,786 views
    2. thumb_up 1,985 thanks given
    3. group 121 followers
    1. forum 978 posts
    2. attach_file 516 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading fast markets

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Hey guys, I would appreciate any comments on the strategy chosen, your opinion about due course of trading and chances of making it in the combine. I know I trade this combine at best as 100k and if it would be 100k I would be well on my way to the profit target, but 150k gives more leeway and that was a reason again, since I use it for responsible training and trialing my system.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

xelaar View Post
Here are the considerations I will be applying to trading from tomorrow based on my current discoveries:
1. Look for a trading zone as per original plan
2. A small range or double top/double bottom has formed
3. Wait till it is broken by 1-2 ticks with no continuation, fade the breakout
4. Target 20-25 ticks on first target and 40-80 on second target, 6 ticks stop, no break even
5. Stop trading for the day after getting one runner under the belt, keep trading until getting one runner in, don't take small winners at all

/

xelaar View Post
Hey guys, I would appreciate any comments on the strategy chosen, your opinion about due course of trading and chances of making it in the combine. I know I trade this combine at best as 100k and if it would be 100k I would be well on my way to the profit target, but 150k gives more leeway and that was a reason again, since I use it for responsible training and trialing my system.

I trade a similar strategy where I wait till a previous price level is broken and enter in the other direction after price has come back by 2+ ticks with a closed bar. The reason I do this is because sometimes price will continue after it breaks and the only indication of price coming back is a closed bar in my direction. This helps me filter out trades where price breaks a level and continues 5-6+ ticks and stops me out just to have it come back in my direction to produce a good trade. You know that fast markets, especially gold, can break a level and just keep going without the range bars even over-lapping, but when it finally does overlap and a range bar closes back in my direction it's a good sign of a definitive reversal.

Another reason I do this is because I can trail a stop limit order 2 - 3 ticks behind price so when price finally does come back in my direction and I get filled I don't get slipped with having to rely on a market order.

I wish there was some sort of function with the dom where I can set a trailing stop limit order behind price for when it reverses, but I've only heard about such trailing with stops so I have to do this manually.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

tinkug112 
Vizag+india

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Nifty
Thanks Given: 110
Thanks Received: 89

I trade similar setup.
Be careful when not to trade. As such setup's LURE you quite often.

xelaar View Post
Here are the considerations I will be applying to trading from tomorrow based on my current discoveries:
1. Look for a trading zone as per original plan
2. A small range or double top/double bottom has formed
3. Wait till it is broken by 1-2 ticks with no continuation, fade the breakout
4. Target 20-25 ticks on first target and 40-80 on second target, 6 ticks stop, no break even
5. Stop trading for the day after getting one runner under the belt, keep trading until getting one runner in, don't take small winners at all

The reason is there will always be a winner if you take all setups consistently, and one winner will take you back above and beyond. Currently I keep cutting runners short (even though I have improved a lot) and take more trades, more losers in, and then get a runner that I don't exploit fully. Ideally I will be looking to get onto the freight train that will take me far. That would allow to overcome possible bad day when I might get out of ammo before hitting a jack pot. But this plan should allow me to trade less and exploit good trades at best.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

In CTS T4 you can set up trailing order with any type of order. I guess what you are looking for is not limit order but stop limit order. Real limit order will get filled instantly.

Itchymoku View Post
/

I trade a similar strategy where I wait till a previous price level is broken and enter in the other direction after price has come back by 2+ ticks with a closed bar. The reason I do this is because sometimes price will continue after it breaks and the only indication of price coming back is a closed bar in my direction. This helps me filter out trades where price breaks a level and continues 5-6+ ticks and stops me out just to have it come back in my direction to produce a good trade. You know that fast markets, especially gold, can break a level and just keep going without the range bars even over-lapping, but when it finally does overlap and a range bar closes back in my direction it's a good sign of a definitive reversal.

Another reason I do this is because I can trail a limit order 2 - 3 ticks behind price so when price finally does come back in my direction and I get filled I don't get slipped with having to rely on a market order.

I wish there was some sort of function with the dom where I can set a trailing limit order behind price for when it reverses, but I've only heard about such trailing with stops so I have to do this manually.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

tinkug112 View Post
I trade similar setup.
Be careful when not to trade. As such setup's LURE you quite often.

Indeed. Setup = Direction+Location+Entry.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Finished early as per new rule - one runner a day.

Tough start, I have got 4 losers under the belt until I got onto the runner. It was not easy as it nearly reversed on me too as I wanted pretty high results even for target 1.

I missed one good trade, even if not a runner, I was at +16 and it came back and hit SL. It was all before session open and after the news. So I will look not to trade near market open.

Anyway, here are the shots.

My biggest runner to the date: +27 on target 1 and +38 on target 2. 20 and 21 minutes trade time.

Here is the new rule I plan to use: protect the trade as it moves some 6-8 ticks into a profit to entry, as it hits target 1 at 15-20 ticks, move break even back to original stop to give trade extra breathing room, as I have already booked some profit I can afford to lose 6 ticks on second half. That principle would have helped me in most occasions. I need to work to reduce losers.

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

I will look to modify my trade profile tomorrow a bit, since I reckoned best trades come not after a level stop run, but after actual level confirmation, like small scale double top or double bottom. So essentially I will look for a level, price reversal there, retest with a double top/bottom, entry once it fails to breach it. I will try to use smaller stop 4 ticks, as in this case essential is a first pullback and price failing to break the level, so I can place my trade immediately. If it works it will help me to raise size to 10 lots per trade.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Combine stats

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1380832675186.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	124843  

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

xelaar View Post
I will look to modify my trade profile tomorrow a bit, since I reckoned best trades come not after a level stop run, but after actual level confirmation, like small scale double top or double bottom. So essentially I will look for a level, price reversal there, retest with a double top/bottom, entry once it fails to breach it. I will try to use smaller stop 4 ticks, as in this case essential is a first pullback and price failing to break the level, so I can place my trade immediately. If it works it will help me to raise size to 10 lots per trade.

To elaborate a little bit, I will not seek to trade with a smaller initial stop, if I see price confirming the level without breaking it, I will try to enter earlier and if I get a better fill, I will move stop to 1 tick behind the level. I reckon to be able to get filled in 3-5 ticks range from the level. Currently I place my entry at fixed 5 tick from the level distance.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts