NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading fast markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 561 posts (1,328 thanks)
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 29 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 podski with 26 posts (60 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 22 posts (51 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two podski with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 garyboy275 with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 205,786 views
    2. thumb_up 1,985 thanks given
    3. group 121 followers
    1. forum 978 posts
    2. attach_file 516 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading fast markets

vijidas 
london

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 5

wxsim1 View Post
what is a live trader Prep?

thanks

see below:

xelaar View Post
I have got an email from John Hoagland. Basically it's the same story as anybody else's: they are prepared to provide me with a live trading account pending my performance in LivePrep. So no news here. LivePrep must adhere to Junior Trader trading plan, which is standard, with distinction I have to trade minimum 10 days within 60 calendar days, my profit target is only 4500, DLL is 3000, WLL is 3000, MaxDD 4500.

I supposed to get a call from them, maybe tonight, I hope I will be able to convince them to make a slight change to the plan, since it cripples a bit my own risk management which I believe is more superior than theirs when used with my trading approach. Especially this rule about starting trading day with x lots and only increase or add when daily net profit is above 1000. That will essentially kill my opportunities to make money, because I only have few setups per day, and if I spend them all on small lot shots, when I get ammo finally it inevitable suggests I should take more shots but by this time likely good setups are already done and I might face a situation where I trade high quality setups with smaller position and take a loser from a worse setup on larger position. I am fine with this rule as long as word DAY there is replaced with work WEEK throughout the whole paragraph.

I understand the reason of this requirement but it is suited for discretionary traders, not system traders like I am, and it's intention is to allow trader to tune-in into the market and assumes trader take substantial number of trades through the day and his win probability is around 50%. In my case it does more harm than good, as I take few trades, tune-in is non-existent as each trade is totally a separate event, and trying to correlate result of previous trade with risk parameters of next trade is totally artificial and has no substance and only can reduce profitability.

We shall see how the interview goes. I am ready for this challenge and sure I won't fail it, unless market will get totally unsuitable for my approach, in this case most probable failure scenario is having a losing day larger than a winning day, I obviously can get a losing day maybe 1000 usd and if market gives me chuckles instead of bucks I might not get to the figure on a profitable day, especially being curtailed on position size.

I honestly have to say at this point, this is more and more just a challenge for me, seeing so many restrictions can be maddening but ultimately they channel your efforts to build yourself into a better trading shape, given that you really commit yourself to it. I take it like a personal challenge now that I need to pass to say I did it. After going through so many barriers I can see how one can easily get the necessary discipline and self-confidence to trade his own money.

I think this is the ultimate paradox that TST faces every day: people who pass all their quests with success are the ones who most likely will leave soon as they feel confident to trade on their own.

xelaar View Post
Finally had a conversation with Hoag. He's a nice guy, agreed, but it's hard to haggle with him on requirements and numbers. I understand that he has a rule set that is quite rigid to work with.

Well, as it laid out, LP does make a sense, as Hoag put it, it mimics live trading requirements for Junior trader. I would like a bit more freedom but I can work with what they gave me.

Basically it is a standard trading plan that can be found on their web with following numbers filled in:
1. Trading hours - we haggled but the best I could get was from 6AM to 3:10 PM, I understand why it is so - for Junior Trader there is a limit from 7AM, because someone is monitoring performance live. I can live with that.
2. Start a day with 5 lots until 1000 usd is built. That is bit crippling, I wanted at least 7 but it is what it is.
3. Max number of consecutive losers when in negative before pulling the brakes for a day: 3. That is what I offered, and I am fine with it.
5. Max draw down from daily profit high before quitting: 50%. It is fine again, and smart. I would cut probably earlier.

All in all, it would slow my process a bit, especially lot limited to 5 on most days, but again there are up to 40 trading days to trade and only 4500 to be gained, so no drama whatsoever. With 15 cars I could do that on one good day. And what to do after?

I plan to start LP on Tuesday.

This stage took a bit of time, I expected it to be somewhat faster, but have they got 3 traders to put to LP this week only that I know and maybe more. All in all I am ok with it, given that it mimics live trading environment rules, so a good chance to adjust and get used to.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Rithmic
Trading: "CL ES 6C 6E" NQ only nowadays
Thanks Given: 202
Thanks Received: 454

I downloaded their platform last night and wanted to get used to it before I made up my mind to do that Combine (I was leaning towards it).

All I can say "WHAT A HORRIBLE P.O.S." I can see traders not used to it failing due to errors and such. I had listened to one webinar earlier and heard someone say they wont even try it unless they added Ninja Trader to their combine and I was wondering "well, familiarity with a platform shouldnt be a problem-the guys just not comfortable with new platform". But I am all the wiser now. Its like going into battle with a sword when the other side has machineguns.

Anyways, sorry for my rant but I have new found respect for those of you who pass the combine.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

garyboy275 View Post
I downloaded their platform last night and wanted to get used to it before I made up my mind to do that Combine (I was leaning towards it).

All I can say "WHAT A HORRIBLE P.O.S." I can see traders not used to it failing due to errors and such. I had listened to one webinar earlier and heard someone say they wont even try it unless they added Ninja Trader to their combine and I was wondering "well, familiarity with a platform shouldnt be a problem-the guys just not comfortable with new platform". But I am all the wiser now. Its like going into battle with a sword when the other side has machineguns.

Anyways, sorry for my rant but I have new found respect for those of you who pass the combine.

Nothing personal, but I always find funny when people are complaining about tools saying they can't do this unless this and that. I took 2 weeks trial to learn the platform, got my questions answered by using the manual and asked Tim Fry a couple of questions. Even despite limitation I love this platform for its effective simplicity. You hardly can trade that fast as on T4, it keeps all logic on server so the speed is unbeatable so as reliability. It never failed for me during my almost 2 months of everyday trading. Can't say as well about Multicharts and Ninja. I feel I would certainly trust T4 trading my own live money than to Ninja for example. I only have a similar level of trust in OEC proprietary trading platform.

I smile when I hear people are saying I will wait when they add Ninja, etc.
Just my IMO.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 jmsUK 
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK

Platform: NinjaTrader7
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 363
Thanks Received: 136

xelaar View Post
It never failed for me during my almost 2 months of everyday trading. Can't say as well about Multicharts and Ninja. I feel I would certainly trust T4 trading my own live money than to Ninja for example.

Reassuring. Thanks for that

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

garyboy275 View Post

Don't you think the hour or so you spent with it is not really sufficient time to determine that it's a "Horrible POS"? There are several things about it that I do not like either, and I do not use it regularly. However, with many thousands and millions of dollars running through the floor of the CME, they all use either T4 or XTrader. I'm not saying that means that these programs are necessarily better than what you prefer, but many professional traders use this "Horrible POS," so maybe it has some benefits, enough to justify trusting millions of dollars to its operation?

If T4 is a sword, can you tell me which platform is a machine gun?

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Just to add to the T4 vs. Ninja (or whatever) discussion, I have simply used Ninja for my charting and entered the trades in the T4 DOM. No problem. Very simple.

You do give up Chart Trader and ATM, both of which are convenient. But if you can trade effectively with them, you can trade effectively without them.

You also have to get familiar with the settings for T4 and how to do things; not everything will be what you think at first. Just read the extensive help and ask questions if you need to (there's a platform Q&A on their Squawk Radio site most days).

I think it really is just a matter of getting used to it.

Thanked by:
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

josh View Post

If T4 is a sword, can you tell me which platform is a machine gun?

Have you tried OEC ? I am not a fan of Ninja Trader since I ve never used it myself -I was just quoting someone and what my thoughts were during the webinar. Trading CL with T4 especially today--goodluck with it. Imagine when its really flying on #'s or some news.

As far as making money and justifying it with Millions of $$ flowing thru it--my simple answer is sometimes you dont know any better. I personally have gone thru with it on many things-such as charts, platforms, instruments etc.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

garyboy275 View Post
Have you tried OEC ? I am not a fan of Ninja Trader since I ve never used it myself -I was just quoting someone and what my thoughts were during the webinar. Trading CL with T4 especially today--goodluck with it. Imagine when its really flying on #'s or some news.

As far as making money and justifying it with Millions of $$ flowing thru it--my simple answer is sometimes you dont know any better. I personally have gone thru with it on many things-such as charts, platforms, instruments etc.

OEC is next best. But I did have few troubles with freezing charts. But it is real good. If you are a swing trader and use different OCO profiles, OEC is as good as Ninja, faster, more stable and it is free too.

T4 is for traders with more simple trade management. There it's crazily fast, reliable and unbeatable. But sure it doesn't have bells and whistles. I had to compromise my trade management a bit too, I would prefer to close a part of my position fast instead of flattening out, by fast I mean real fast within a second, but it's not as easy in T4, hence I flatten.

I believe people who need more than T4 offers use Sierra.

BTW, not sure about your problems trading Crude with T4, I trade gold with it, and can't believe how great it works.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

How hard can the combine be ? Max drawdown during the first hour did hit $550 or so. Trading only max 3 lots.

Anyways, congrats on your conbine and keep us posted on LP. Goodluck

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

garyboy275 View Post

How hard can the combine be ? Max drawdown during the first hour did hit $550 or so. Trading only max 3 lots.

Anyways, congrats on your conbine and keep us posted on LP. Goodluck

Looking forward to your funded trader interview soon.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts