NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading fast markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 561 posts (1,328 thanks)
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 29 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 podski with 26 posts (60 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 22 posts (51 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one xelaar with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two podski with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 garyboy275 with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 207,142 views
    2. thumb_up 1,985 thanks given
    3. group 121 followers
    1. forum 978 posts
    2. attach_file 516 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading fast markets

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Basically here is the latest development in regards to my strategies:
1. I keep my momentum/stop liquidation strategy with very small stop reserved only for days with above average volume and strong momentum and directional market. I feel that only during days like that I can generate consistently good risk-reward using small stop of 5-6 ticks and targeting 30-50 or so ticks profit. During shallow market like we have for last 2 months bar few days, it generates break even trading because slippage eats up significant part of profits (low liquidity).
2. During other days I look to implement different type of entry within the same order flow framework:
a. During range days - fading stop run area, expecting price action to collapse on liquidity vacuum and return back and overshot the break out level; the hard part here is judging how far breakout can go before collapsing, yesterday I used 7 ticks from the level, one trade went only 4 ticks into red, another 11 ticks, but with 20 ticks stop all was safe, so I plan to use 20-25 ticks as a base stop and profit equal to that but once the spike is over and 1m candle closes I will tighten stop to remain past the extremum and look to adjust profit target within the price action structure
b. During trends on low volume days - I will look for strong levels, allow break out to happen and will look to enter on limit order on a snap back price action to the breakout level, having an entry few ticks prior to the level and using 20 ticks stop, which will be truncated as a little bit of price action develops and reasonable stop zone will be present.

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Oh, and I am ending all the scalping experiments like micro-breakouts out of blocks of compressed price action (Volman-style), scalping Keltner channel, etc. It's not very profitable, spends a ton on commissions and is extremely draining emotionally. To celebrate that decision I removed range bar chart from my trading setup and have only 1m and 5m charts on. As I grow my cushion I look to trade more and more swing-based approach, but all intra-day.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

xelaar View Post
Oh, and I am ending all the scalping experiments like micro-breakouts out of blocks of compressed price action (Volman-style), scalping Keltner channel, etc. It's not very profitable, spends a ton on commissions and is extremely draining emotionally. To celebrate that decision I removed range bar chart from my trading setup and have only 1m and 5m charts on. As I grow my cushion I look to trade more and more swing-based approach, but all intra-day.

I know this is your journal but I just wanted to add that I have found Bob Volman's approach EXTREMELY profitable. It also took out the stress from trading once I got used to it. To my amazement 10-tick scalping was the holy grail for me. I know intraday swinging is the best approach for TST but Volman is where I learnt to manage my trades best.

Please continue what works for you without getting distracted by my comments.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

iqgod View Post
I know this is your journal but I just wanted to add that I have found Bob Volman's approach EXTREMELY profitable. It also took out the stress from trading once I got used to it. To my amazement 10-tick scalping was the holy grail for me. I know intraday swinging is the best approach for TST but Volman is where I learnt to manage my trades best.

Please continue what works for you without getting distracted by my comments.

This approach works definitely better on euro than on gold. I just found euro being dead for most of the time lately, and going even for 10 ticks during dead market is often very challenging. Very recently euro became very active so perhaps it works much better, I stopped scalping euro in January 2013 after about 2 years working on it and trading euro on short term basis one way or another. Glad it is working for you. I just want to take a couple of trades per day and be done.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Today gold was very challenging to trade. Low volume day but what was expected to be a typical range day turned out to be a grind and push day with unstoppable move up. I had several good entries on demo. I did only one live trade, late in the day, and was glad to get out with 1 tick profit. In the end it would yield about 30 ticks profit after and hour and a half, but the entry was too off the high and price rotated way too close to my stop, so I wanted to get out ASAP. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Today

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

My biggest fail on Friday was inconsistency in trade management - I cut some trades short and let others hit stop. I will devote next week completely to improve my consistency and hold to the target or stop whatever it is. Not to say I will foolishly expect predetermined stops and targets to be optimal, I will adjust both to the price action structure: stops to the swing low and high and target to the end of space, swing or trendline.

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Sazon, actually losses I talk about are from my main. Combine winning strategy. Market participation is low. It doesnt work.

Sazon 
Roswell, GA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 930
Thanks Received: 472

xelaar View Post
Sazon, actually losses I talk about are from my main. Combine winning strategy. Market participation is low. It doesnt work.

ok...i figured that was the case which is why I removed the post..just trying to be helpful

Thanked by:
olaag
London

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I'd like to take the combine and I really like your trading method. Is it possible to have you as a mentor by remotely shadowing your trading?

Last Updated on May 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts