NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

MultiCharts, MultiCharts, MultiCharts...

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 195 posts (166 thanks)
    2. looks_two TonyB with 56 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MultiCharts with 46 posts (41 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Snoop with 27 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FulcrumTrader with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MultiCharts with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TonyB with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 341,125 views
    2. thumb_up 510 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 827 posts
    2. attach_file 71 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

MultiCharts, MultiCharts, MultiCharts...

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,234
Thanks Received: 101,655

FulcrumTrader View Post
I am testing out some Cumulative Delta Tools for MC, so after I get everything set up and running I will take a look and give you all a report next week (thanks for the email gift Santa!!!).

How is it going so far?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
70 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

max-td 
Frankfurt

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: FGBL 6E B4
Thanks Given: 2,309
Thanks Received: 927

hello MC-folks !

i would like to hear something about these features in Multicharts mentioned here - Semi discretionary trading :

Semi discretionary trading with [AUTOLINK]ninjatrader[/AUTOLINK]? - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

any experiences or infos on this ?

max-td

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

Hmm, the OP of this thread on the official NT forum has "heard" something ?
The discretionary trading is only available since the pre-Alpha version, so things may change, but you can "drop" an ATM-like to an existing position (from MC Blog):

Quoting 
Exit Automation
This feature allows the user to automate certain ways of exiting positions. Of course, you can right-click on an order and apply an exit strategy. You can also drag and drop the strategy of your choice onto the appropriate order to apply it. However, to fully take advantage of automation capabilities, you can auto-apply an exit strategy to any new order you create. Contrary to competing products, exit strategies in MultiCharts are treated individually. For example, you can apply Breakeven and Profit Target strategies without configuring the Stop Loss strategy. This allows even more flexibility for our users.
You will also see Trigger points and lines on the chart, which will activate the order once the price crosses this level.
We have included five exit strategies– Bracket Orders, Breakeven, Trailing Stop, Stop Loss, and Profit Target.
Just like in entry automation, each strategy is an OCO group. You can visually change the order levels, which saves a lot of time while managing your orders. In addition to visually changing the orders, you can change the parameters more precisely through dialog windows. You can specify absolute values for price levels, or define the distance of your brackets in percent values or points (pips).
You can save your favorite strategy parameters as a template to be used later.

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to play with this aspect of MC7, and found it harder to understand than Ninja ATM.
And as my demo license will be expired tomorrow, I couldn't test more this aspect.
A very good thing with MC demo-license is that you can make real trades, it has all the features of the real version.
But a bad thing, for Ninja users who wants to be sure they could use MC like they use Ninja, without losing the key features/indicators/ATM/historical data/... and make a lot of tests, 30 days is not enough (unless spending 1 hour on it every day). The language is very different, the datafeed/instruments management is very different, the whole logic of the product is very different, and I think it might be quite painful to migrate MC, for a NT "power user" like me (or I'm maybe too old and not smart enough ).

max-td View Post
hello MC-folks !

i would like to hear something about these features in Multicharts mentioned here - Semi discretionary trading :

Semi discretionary trading with [AUTOLINK]ninjatrader[/AUTOLINK]? - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

any experiences or infos on this ?

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter

benharrell 
Pittsburgh, Pa

Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: CL,ES,6E
Thanks Given: 350
Thanks Received: 96

If you were to build a CPU built for optimization in Multicharts what specs would you use today? HIGH CPU processing power..HIGH memory..fast hard drive..the most computer for the dollar..with the intent to optimize.

Any thoughts?

Dream machine anyone?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
 MetalTrade 

Apple - Mac Pro - Now up to 12 cores of processing power.

And run it in bootcamp, that's native windows 7 then.

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

benharrell View Post
If you were to build a CPU built for optimization in Multicharts what specs would you use today? HIGH CPU processing power..HIGH memory..fast hard drive..the most computer for the dollar..with the intent to optimize.

Any thoughts?

Dream machine anyone?

[off]
For you desk, a HP Z800, dual quad-Xeon.
If it's not enough, and if the noise is not an issuer for you, HP DL 580, quad octo-Xeon (32 cores).
But not for very cheap, you'll need avery good bot to covers the costs .
[/off]

About MC itself, you can forget my previous comments about the demo license duration, MultiCharts guys can allow more demo time if needed, a good point.
I'll say very good point, because unlike some other demo platforms which have limited functions in trial/demo mode (not all symbols for CQG, not cash trades with NT, ...), you have here the real platform, with all the features you'll have with a real live license.

Does anyone is testing the pre-beta 7 here ?
Any comment from people using this version and the ZenFire datafeed ?

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:
 tradersheldon 
Western Maryland

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Vision Financial (Direct)/ CQG, Rithmic
Trading: Gold, Euro, ES
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 50

I installed Multicharts through Optimus Futures from [U][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.optimusfutures.com/[AUTOLINK]multicharts[/AUTOLINK]-platform-demo.html[/COLOR][/FONT][/U] After connecting Multicharts with Rithmic, there were some problems with the data coming in, but with the great help from the people of Optimus (who spend >40 minutes on the phone, solving this problem) all is running fine. All my systems (in EasyLanguage) are put in and running perfectly. I can recommend Optimus Futures to anyone looking to trade with MultiCharts or one of the other platforms they have. They give a fantastic service and quite nice to see a broker with personal attention, where you're not just a number!

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

sam028 View Post
[off]
If it's not enough, and if the noise is not an issuer for you, HP DL 580, quad octo-Xeon (32 cores).
[/off]

Really depends on the budget. For my trading style a HP Z400 is good enough, it comes at half the price or less of an HP Z800. It is as good, the CPU may be 20% slower. So if you wait for 20 seconds for your workspace to open with a Z800, it will be 24 seconds with the Z400. Of course this depends on the processor chosen. The Z400 can be equipped with watercooling, if need.

BlackSwan 
Denver

Experience: Master
Platform: TT XTPro - MarketDelta
Trading: Bund - ZB - ZN - ES
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 88

sam028 View Post
[off]
[/off]

If you were to go this route, consider building your own workstation and save yourself ~$4000 compared to above HP spec servers.

Processor: 2 x Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz 12MB L3 six-core ($1400 x 2)
Motherboard: EVGA Classified SR-2 ($520)
Memory: 2 x 8GB GSkill Trident + DDR3 PC312800 (2 x $200)
Power Supply: EVGA Classified SR-2 1200W PS ($340)
Video Card: 2 x EVGA 9500 GT Dual DVI PCIe ($45 x 2)
HD's: 2 x Crucial C300 SSD's (RAID 0) + 3ware controller ($700)
Chassis: Full ATX Tower (Lian Li/ Antec / Corsair etc) ($200)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ($140 OEM)

Unless you simulate day in/day out and are running very complex brute force exhaustive tests, I'd recommend building a research workstation around the new Sandy Bridge i7-2600K processor ($330 @ Newegg). At stock frequency, it can complete arithmetic tests at a comparable rate to the Intel i7 980-X hex-core ($1000). Then add the fact the 2600k overclocks to 5.0ghz on air cooling, you are significantly cutting into the dual xeon hex-core advantage.You can realistically build a very powerful Multicharts research system for under $1500.

IMHO, focus on i7-2600K, SSD SATAIII 6GB/s (Crucial 128/256GB C300) + quality controller, 8-12GB memory, quality power supply.

Thanked by:

FulcrumTrader 
Austin, TX & Las Vegas, NV

Platform: Investor RT Pro, NT 7.0
Trading: ES, DAX, CL, 6E
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 287

Big Mike View Post
How is it going so far?

Mike

So far so good imo! My CD volume development discussions with MC has been very good and after testing their initial Cumulative Delta Volume tools for several days I am very encouraged. I told MC they should release current CD tools to public in "Beta" form at their convenience (and start getting all that EXCELLENT feedback from traders/programmers). I am very encouraged by the positive attitude for ongoing Cumulative Delta (BID/ASK differential volume) development in MC going forward!

The MC CD tools are not yet set up for access to the 30 days of BID/ASK historical data from DTN.IQ feed, but they realize that is the final step to a proper CD volume capability.

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 24, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts