NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

MultiCharts, MultiCharts, MultiCharts...

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 195 posts (166 thanks)
    2. looks_two TonyB with 56 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MultiCharts with 46 posts (41 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Snoop with 27 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FulcrumTrader with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MultiCharts with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TonyB with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 341,500 views
    2. thumb_up 510 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 827 posts
    2. attach_file 71 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

MultiCharts, MultiCharts, MultiCharts...

LukeGeniol 
Italy (IT) Italy

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ATAS, R|Trader, NT8
Broker: Rithmic
Trading: CL, Brent, GC, TF
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 408
Thanks Received: 985

Seems there is also a Chart Trader, this is good, even if when I had a trial I didn't like it much, maybe with this new features, i will give it a new chance.

Take your Pips, go out and Live.
Luke.
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
About a successful futures trader who didn´t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,239
Thanks Received: 101,662

LukeGeniol View Post
Seems there is also a Chart Trader, this is good, even if when I had a trial I didn't like it much, maybe with this new features, i will give it a new chance.

When I first ran MultiCharts 5.5 after using NT for a long time, I was getting easily frustrated. It's just because I was accustomed to doing things the NinjaTrader way. But after I kept at it, things really started to make a lot of sense and of course now I love it. I also love the stability and predictability of it.

I am looking forward to MC 7. Competition is good, and this version will light a fire

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:
 FBJS 
Toronto

Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 193

Big Mike View Post
When I first ran MultiCharts 5.5 after using NT for a long time, I was getting easily frustrated. It's just because I was accustomed to doing things the NinjaTrader way. But after I kept at it, things really started to make a lot of sense and of course now I love it. I also love the stability and predictability of it.

I am looking forward to MC 7. Competition is good, and this version will light a fire

Mike

Thanks for your work Mike... just out of curiosity, can you give your opinion of CPU/resource utilization of MultiCharts vs. NT 7, if you haven't already done that somewhere on the site? NT 7 still runs all display updates in a single thread, is MultiCharts the same, or is it truly multi-threaded? Is there any noticeable difference in terms of CPU performance when running lots of charts? Thanks!

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

FBJS View Post
Thanks for your work Mike... just out of curiosity, can you give your opinion of CPU/resource utilization of MultiCharts vs. NT 7, if you haven't already done that somewhere on the site? NT 7 still runs all display updates in a single thread, is MultiCharts the same, or is it truly multi-threaded? Is there any noticeable difference in terms of CPU performance when running lots of charts? Thanks!

Not being a MC engineer --- my opinions are just based on what I've seen. I believe each chart is its own thread. I have CL, ES, YM, TF, EUR/USD workspaces open, each has about 5 charts (CL has 6). Each chart has a couple indicators on it.

Of course everything in MultiCharts is "update on every tick" by default (similar to COBC false in NinjaTrader). I see about 3% CPU usage all day, and this is with two web browsers open with about 10-15 tabs, email, skype, mp3 player, etc all in background.

I am running a Core i7 920 overclocked to 4ghz, it's about 2 years old.

I asked a friend what NT7 was showing for his utilization, he said 30% CPU and he is running only 6 charts or so total (compared to my 25 charts). But he also has only a Dual Core machine overclocked to 3ghz or so, not a quad core like mine.

Still, it seems to show MC is much more efficient than NT7.

You can download MC 6 free trial and see for yourself.

Mike

Thanked by:
 FBJS 
Toronto

Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 193

Big Mike View Post
Not being a MC engineer --- my opinions are just based on what I've seen. I believe each chart is its own thread. I have CL, ES, YM, TF, EUR/USD workspaces open, each has about 5 charts (CL has 6). Each chart has a couple indicators on it.

Of course everything in MultiCharts is "update on every tick" by default (similar to COBC false in NinjaTrader). I see about 3% CPU usage all day, and this is with two web browsers open with about 10-15 tabs, email, skype, mp3 player, etc all in background.

I am running a Core i7 920 overclocked to 4ghz, it's about 2 years old.

I asked a friend what NT7 was showing for his utilization, he said 30% CPU and he is running only 6 charts or so total (compared to my 25 charts). But he also has only a Dual Core machine overclocked to 3ghz or so, not a quad core like mine.

Still, it seems to show MC is much more efficient than NT7.

You can download MC 6 free trial and see for yourself.

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike - much appreciated! I find it incredible that you are running 30 charts or so updating on every tick, and yet CPU usage is only at 3%! Task Manager would tell you if all your cores are being utilized, you should see even distribution of clock cycles across all the graphs for each CPU core if it is truly multi-threaded. NT runs all the UI updates in one thread, so I have to run virtual machines with multiple copies of NT to get all the charts I want to see, and CPU usage is way higher than that, even with updates happening less frequently.

I haven't had time to try out the trial yet, but I will get around to it soon. It definitely seems that the quality of programming is much higher at MC than NT... as a former programmer myself, I know that one good coder is worth more than 10 mediocre ones, especially when it comes to producing reliable functioning software. Thanks again!

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Yes all cores are utilized, there is no question that MultiCharts is multithreaded, but I am not sure if it is one thread per chart (my guess) or not. It seems to be. There is also a separate process for the quote engine separate from the charting engine.

Mike

Thanked by:
 jitasb 
London, England

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: IB, Kinetic
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 226

I see from their website MultiCharts have a market replay facility.

Anyone got any views on how this compares to NinjaTrader replay?
For example, NT you have to record the data first before you replay it (as I understand it). Is is the same in MultiCharts.

I don't have either at the moment, but am interested in market replay as an instrument to help my trading. Ideally software where you can just start it up then select a day to replay and off you go. Rather than having to go thru hassle of recording days on end before you can even start replaying the charts. I seem to remember that Esignal had it back in the day..but they are a bit pricey.

Thanks.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

jitasb View Post
I see from their website MultiCharts have a market replay facility.

Anyone got any views on how this compares to NinjaTrader replay?
For example, NT you have to record the data first before you replay it (as I understand it). Is is the same in MultiCharts.

I don't have either at the moment, but am interested in market replay as an instrument to help my trading. Ideally software where you can just start it up then select a day to replay and off you go. Rather than having to go thru hassle of recording days on end before you can even start replaying the charts. I seem to remember that Esignal had it back in the day..but they are a bit pricey.

Thanks.

in MultiCharts market replay data is not separate like it is in NinjaTrader. At any moment at any time of day you can just make one click on the toolbar and go back in time to a specific point like choosing it on a calendar. Adjust the replay speed, go back/forward etc, then just one more click to go back to live data. It is all seamless. Market Replay will use whatever data source you have on your charts. In MultiCharts, each chart can be powered by one or more data sources simultaneously.

There is no "recording" or downloading. It uses the same historical data provided by the QuoteManager engine.

I would not expect this replay functionality to extend to the DOM when they release that soon. Just a hunch. It's likely only going to extend to the charts, but that would be a question for MultiCharts. Remember, there is no sim engine in MultiCharts (yet).

Mike

Thanked by:
 jitasb 
London, England

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: IB, Kinetic
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 226

Big Mike View Post
in MultiCharts market replay data is not separate like it is in NinjaTrader. At any moment at any time of day you can just make one click on the toolbar and go back in time to a specific point like choosing it on a calendar. Adjust the replay speed, go back/forward etc, then just one more click to go back to live data. It is all seamless. Market Replay will use whatever data source you have on your charts. In MultiCharts, each chart can be powered by one or more data sources simultaneously.

There is no "recording" or downloading. It uses the same historical data provided by the QuoteManager engine.

I would not expect this replay functionality to extend to the DOM when they release that soon. Just a hunch. It's likely only going to extend to the charts, but that would be a question for MultiCharts. Remember, there is no sim engine in MultiCharts (yet).

Mike

Thanks for quick reply.

Not really that worried about DOM replay at this stage, more just wanting replay for price action reading. For example reading price action using something like Al Brooks style (where how a candle formed during it's time range is as impt as how it looked when it finished)....

MC sounds good, I'll check it out on free trial.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
nismo
Australia

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 3

Hi All,

I want to get started in programming up some systems in Multicharts.

I have downloaded the demo and am currently looking for some tutorials if you know of any? Just basic stuff like how to code up a basic system and then how to backtest it across 1 or multiple symbols and then how to optimize it.

I am currently reading tradestation EL_Getting_Started.pdf from the multicharts site to get familiar with the language but am just looking for videos preferably on how to get started with Multicharts.

Edit: I have done some coding before mainly vbscripting.

Also there is no register button for the Multicharts forum so I assume you have to purchase it before you can become a member of the forum....

Cheers,

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 24, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts