NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading natural gas futures

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 185 posts (360 thanks)
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 21 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ron99 with 20 posts (50 thanks)
    4. looks_4 jokertrader with 17 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Symple with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 88,828 views
    2. thumb_up 557 thanks given
    3. group 71 followers
    1. forum 368 posts
    2. attach_file 49 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading natural gas futures

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,359

Trailer Guy View Post
Nordstream staying closed for now.

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/gazprom-declares-force-majeure-will-halt-gas-flows-germany-indefinitely

Green party leadership in Germany has made some very unscientific decisions and the chickens keep coming home to roost.

Why would Putin not use nat gas to help negotiate a deal for carving up Ukraine.

China is building a lot of re-gassification terminals. So the expected drop in Natty from the Russians and the EU reaching a peace plan with restoration of Nordstream pipeline flows will be short term.

I am thinking to buy into long term high payout stocks once the next leg down in the market hits. My opinion is the stock market is currently experiencing a relief rally and when it fails it will continue dragging energy down.

If you see a flaw in my thinking go ahead and hit me with it, I want to get this trade right rather than be personally right.

Looking at SJT and FLNG among others.

@SMCJB @myrrdin and @ron99 are all people who I think could offer some insight. These are certainly traders I'd listen to.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
43 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

kevinkdog View Post
@SMCJB @myrrdin and @ron99 are all people who I think could offer some insight. These are certainly traders I'd listen to.

Currently, I stay away from trading Natural Gas. There are too many uncertainties to feel comfortable.

The few related stock positions I hold are long term hedges for German stock positions.

Best regards, Myrrdin

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,207

@Trailer Guy to me the big risk is that somehow the Europeans go back to buying as much Russian gas as they were before the war started and US gas prices drop back to the $3-$4 range. Right now I don't see how that happens but if Germany starts experiencing shortages and/or including power rationing things could change quickly. I would think the potential damage to the European economies/industry (and Germany specifically) could be catastrophic.

The bullish scenario is a) Europe never goes back to being dependent upon Russian energy which combined with b) the number of import terminals being built all over the world (especially China) means that demand for US exports remains high.

With regards to SJT, one concern might be that if additional supply does come online in West Texas, if that supply is pipeline constrained prices could be effected. It's not that long ago that Waha prices were actually negative. (ie you could end up in a situation that US gas prices in most locations, and specifically the gulf coast, do rally but that in capacity constrained supply areas that they do not).

FLNG I know nothing about.

jokertrader View Post
Waha @-0.49 wonder if there is a play but not everyone gets it right.

SMCJB View Post
Printed -$0.75 for the weekend just gone... printing $1.50 for November!

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

@SMCJB

I will stay friendly with my post about what you have written and I could do much else about your comment.

What kind of completely insane view is this? What is wrong if we Europeans buy cheap gas from Russia and not the overpriced fraking gas from the USA?

Have you any idea how we build up our success and richness here in Europe over time in the last decades?

And now a guy like you comes and want to tell how bad it is to import Russian Gas to further use to grow our economies?

Just think about the additional transport costs if we here in Europe have to import this, absolutely not environmentally friendly fraking gas from overseas permanently, to bee then depend on the Americans again in another way.

This is from the financial point of view absolute madness and has nothing more to do with real economic policy which the small and medium-sized enterprises here in Europe urgently need again.

I and many of my friends do not in the slightest way agree with any point of view in your posting.

Symple

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

@Symple. You need to reread my post. I never said any of things you are saying so I have no idea what you are talking about. I never expressed any opinion at all about whether buying Russian gas was right or wrong. Only opinion I expressed was what could happen if it continues. Oh and for what its worth, I was born in England and still have a British Passport!

Thanked by:
 Trailer Guy 
Aguanga, CA USA

Platform: Ninja Trader 8
Broker: IB, NinjaTrader Brokerage, Schwab
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 68
Thanks Received: 387

Symple View Post
@SMCJB

I will stay friendly with my post about what you have written and I could do much else about your comment.

What kind of completely insane view is this? What is wrong if we Europeans buy cheap gas from Russia and not the overpriced fraking gas from the USA?

Have you any idea how we build up our success and richness here in Europe over time in the last decades?

And now a guy like you comes and want to tell how bad it is to import Russian Gas to further use to grow our economies?

Just think about the additional transport costs if we here in Europe have to import this, absolutely not environmentally friendly fraking gas from overseas permanently, to bee then depend on the Americans again in another way.

This is from the financial point of view absolute madness and has nothing more to do with real economic policy which the small and medium-sized enterprises here in Europe urgently need again.

I and many of my friends do not in the slightest way agree with any point of view in your posting.

Symple

Sorry, sarcasm does not go well in print. I think the Greens were stupid to start a war with the major supplier of low cost gas. That is stupid. USA era of Fracking is over. Those wells have a very short life and the last two major fields in the US are beyond the half way point.

What did they think that Putin is an idiot. Now they are stuck. Also Greens have been pushing hard to shut down all nuclear reactors look at the mess Japan is in. Problem is they have no magic hydrogen/solar/wind thing that works when needed.

So as a trader I see nothing but high prices for nat gas until Putin gets what he wants, then a drop, then back up as asian demand accelerates.

Also may I politely suggest you look at the energy content charts floating around. European prices have been higher that US for years. The second that Gulf Coast train went down stopping 17% of US exports Nat Gas dropped from around $9.50 to 7.50 while European prices went up an equivalent amount. Pretty sure Asian region consumers are also sharing the higher prices with US and Europe, because that is where the US cargos were mostly going before Putin cut off the gas.

Thanked by:
 Trailer Guy 
Aguanga, CA USA

Platform: Ninja Trader 8
Broker: IB, NinjaTrader Brokerage, Schwab
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 68
Thanks Received: 387

SMCJB View Post
@Trailer Guy to me the big risk is that somehow the Europeans go back to buying as much Russian gas as they were before the war started and US gas prices drop back to the $3-$4 range. Right now I don't see how that happens but if Germany starts experiencing shortages and/or including power rationing things could change quickly. I would think the potential damage to the European economies/industry (and Germany specifically) could be catastrophic.

The bullish scenario is a) Europe never goes back to being dependent upon Russian energy which combined with b) the number of import terminals being built all over the world (especially China) means that demand for US exports remains high.

With regards to SJT, one concern might be that if additional supply does come online in West Texas, if that supply is pipeline constrained prices could be effected. It's not that long ago that Waha prices were actually negative. (ie you could end up in a situation that US gas prices in most locations, and specifically the gulf coast, do rally but that in capacity constrained supply areas that they do not).

FLNG I know nothing about.

1. The frackers are being held on a short leash by the money handlers. You saw the print of the New Years speech Druckenmiller made a couple of years ago in Miami, with the really great comment "I've never met a Texan who wouldn't drill a hole with someone else's money". For now those days are gone. It is more than the money guys holding them back. They have drilled all the A locations and nothing but limited less good places left. They got 90% of the gas out of the ground when prices were on the floor, now that prices are up it is the traditional long life assets that are paying. Go look at production numbers for a maturing field like the Backen (sp.).

So my point is there doesn't seem to be any known source of massive flows in Texas yet to be tapped. Of course I could easily be very wrong.

For those who are not familar with royalty trusts there are tax issues you must be comfortable with.
A. you would need to file a New Mexico non-resident tax return.
B. Royalties are ordinary income. They go on the same part of the 1040 as rent. You do get to deduct taxes paid (well head tax) administrative and depletion. But depletion is like depreciation, so when you sell it enters into the gain or loss calculation.

San Juan Trust is the only major 99% gas trust that I am aware of. There are others that have a mix of gas and crude. You must read the fine print on the monthly dividend announcement to know when the stuff was sold, there is a delay, so the dividend doesn't match current oil and gas prices.

2. FLNG is a Norwegian tanker firm following John Fredrickson's model that has made Frontline such a legend. That is the owners get paid by dividends. FLNG has about 16 modern Natural gas tankers in it's fleet. A good chunk are on long term charters. It is not (like all Tanker stocks) a desk drawer investment for widows and orphans. Because any time there is good money in shipping (just like Texans drilling wells) they order too many new builds. The Korean and Chinese yards build these for, I think, about $200 million each, but with steel and interest as high as they are and covid continuing to shut down China, I think it may be slow to overbuild. The shipping news services regularly report the size of the order book. Also, you can find photos of the ships and put them on your office wall to make you feel like a Greek Tycoon!

This is regular dividend income so longer term tax advantaged. Pays a couple of times a year. Reduces source and user location risk on world wide nat gas because they will adjust as the trade routes change. Current payout is in the same range as royalty trusts, around 12%. Short term risks is the market confuses tankers with the product they carry so prices can be irrational at times.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,464
Thanks Received: 26,278

Symple View Post
@SMCJB

Symple

Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Hi @bobwest obviously saw your post above.

I just wanted to say I actually didn't take much offense to what @Symple said. I've been called a lot worse than 'insane'! They clearly misunderstood what I said.

Back on subject, NG margins going up again (2nd time in 5 days)! I think this is the highest they have been in recent history, even though prices are still $2 below recent highs.

NG Margin changes effective COB July 19th , 2022

Maintenance margin's changing as follows (Note: Non-member initial margin rates will be 110% of these)

Tier 1 / Aug22 increasing from $9350 to $10300 +$950
Tier 2-7 / Sep22-Feb23 increasing from $9100 to $10,000 +$900
Tier 8 / Mar23 increasing from $7500 to $8000 +$500
Tier 9 / Apr23 unchanged at $4800
Tier 15 / Oct23 unchanged at $4000
Tier 18 / Jan24 unchanged at $3400

https://www.cmegroup.com/notices/clearing/2022/07/Chadv22-273.html

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,464
Thanks Received: 26,278

SMCJB View Post
Hi @bobwest obviously saw your post above.

I just wanted to say I actually didn't take much offense to what @Symple said. I've been called a lot worse than 'insane'! They clearly misunderstood what I said.

Understood. My post wasn't really about you. It was about the forum.

This is also just one of those things that happen. It needed attention, but was not that important overall. A misunderstanding, as you said.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 25, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts