NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading natural gas futures

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 185 posts (360 thanks)
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 21 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ron99 with 20 posts (50 thanks)
    4. looks_4 jokertrader with 17 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Symple with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 89,172 views
    2. thumb_up 557 thanks given
    3. group 71 followers
    1. forum 368 posts
    2. attach_file 49 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading natural gas futures

jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

SMCJB View Post
The "Widow Maker" specifically refers to the Natural Gas March-April spread and not to Natural Gas in general, but you are right at times Natural Gas can be violently volatile. So volatile in fact for many years it was considered completely inappropriate for retail and even many pro traders. With the extra supply of Natural Gas from Shale Drilling, NG fundamentals have been relatively bearish for several years now, and volatility has also been greatly depressed. One cold winter can turn that around very quickly though.

Has the March/April ever been negative? I can see the spread is pretty low.. this morning it was 0.060.. has this ever become negative? like March lesser than April?

If no, then is it just a matter of buying it and knowing when to get out on a spike.. before a decline into March?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,207

It goes negative quite often but only leading up to expiry when its obvious that there is enough gas in storage to meet end of winter demand. I don't think I've ever seen it go negative early in the winter. I might run some numbers tonight and look.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

So in the last 18 years the average HJ spread goes negative about 2 weeks before expiry.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

One more.

That last one made it seem like HJ was unseasonably low, but those averages and standard deviations are heavily influenced by pre-2008. This is how it changes when we only look at last 10 years. (Scales are slightly shorter)

Thanked by:
 jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

In the last graph.. if the average is the black line.. doesnt look like its a clean spike up.. in fact a gentle trend down

so its hope for cold winter.. less storage for spike up...unless im not reading it right

of course several years have the winter spike.. some of the colored spikes on 1st graph....but still plenty of years/lines are all just gently downtrending.. the lines at the bottom of the 1st graph

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

If we run out of gas, March's fundamental's are scarcity pricing. If we don't run out of gas, any gas left in ground stays there until next year, and March almost becomes the first injection month for the following year, and as such trades flat or below April. For the last 10 years the latter case has been predominant hence Mar/Apr gradually declines as it becomes more and more certain that we have ample gas supplies in storage.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

With the much lower levels of stocks this year than previous years, and the increased LNG demand, I thought the fundamentals were more supportive than in the last few years. I don't normally make directional trades in NG or CL but am currently slightly long and apparently wrong! Still seems very early to be giving up on winter

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Not sure if this means anything, but I was curious to see how the spreads 'ranked' versus previous years. Since I created it, thought I might as well post it.

For 2019 a little surprised that given how far below the average we are that the rank wasn't lower, but I guess that illustrates how skewed the upside numbers are.

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

SMCJB View Post
One more.

That last one made it seem like HJ was unseasonably low, but those averages and standard deviations are heavily influenced by pre-2008. This is how it changes when we only look at last 10 years. (Scales are slightly shorter)

The NGJ-NGH spread is called widow maker for good reason. Usually it works, but if there is a cold blast at the wrong time it can be terribly expensive to be on the wrong side.

I bought some cheap NGH calls recently. Weather experts expect La Nina with a probability of approx. 70 %, and this would result in cold weather in the North of US.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

myrrdin View Post
The NGJ-NGH spread is called widow maker for good reason. Usually it works, but if there is a cold blast at the wrong time it can be terribly expensive to be on the wrong side.

I bought some cheap NGH calls recently. Weather experts expect La Nina with a probability of approx. 70 %, and this would result in cold weather in the North of US.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Today from Dave Hightower:

"The US Climate Prediction Center increased the La Nina probability to 92 % from 73 % for the December - February timeframe ... "

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 25, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts