NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Time to Give Up

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 30 posts (483 thanks)
    2. looks_two HoopyTrading with 18 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rory with 17 posts (33 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kronie with 17 posts (22 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FXwulf with 28.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 23.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Massive l with 18 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 192,801 views
    2. thumb_up 2,595 thanks given
    3. group 246 followers
    1. forum 591 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Time to Give Up

Keab 
London UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SierraChart/Prorealtime
Broker: Sierra Chart/prorealtime
Trading: SandP futures
Thanks Given: 123
Thanks Received: 316

Big Mike View Post
What about the guys who are doing things right?

- Only trading with money they can afford to lose
- Open and honest with their spouse, kids
- Steady income outside of trading that is more than sufficient to cover all life expenses while learning to trade
- Realistic expectations, knows that is likely to lose for a long time before starting to win, part of education
- Spends all of his time on research, homework, statistics, and review -- and not on indicators or trading rooms
- Creates accountability with a journal and his support network of trading friends, and his spouse

List continues.

For these guys, this thread does not apply. In fact, for these guys, they should be applauded for their conservative approach instead of thrill seeking holy grail fixation.

Mike

I don't know if it's possible but I think the advice in this post should be the front screen to futures.io
If you haven't got all that is mentioned in those bullet points then statistically speaking you're pretty much certain to fail.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
70 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
54 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

andby 
Norwich, UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple:research&executi
Broker: Started with Stage5/OEC ... multiple
Trading: Anything found profitable goes ...
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 88

Big Mike View Post
So is trading unique in this area, or does this apply to everything in life?

For example, if someone simply has the willpower to be better than Tiger Woods or Michael Jordon, or if someone had the willpower to land on the moon instead of Neil Armstrong, does this mean that they have a chance in hell?

No, it does not.

Willpower alone is not nearly enough. Willpower is a prerequisite. It is not an advantage or edge.

Not everyone is cut out to be a trader.

Mike

But many don't see this. It's a mirrors game. Here is the trick: many pursue this avenue as they see it as the "easy" way/answer to all their problems. I believe many of us felt this in day 1 of this journey. There are some persisting in this state for years and years (is this what you see @BigMike here on the forum?)
So, for those experiencing a set-back in they pre-trading life, the journey is twice as hard, as they have the wrong motivation & mind-set all-together: trading is seen as a short-cut to all their problems and a way to avoid facing life's reality. There is however a small procentage that wake up to reality and can steer direction through the rough lessons market teaches them.

Nonetheless, to be successfull in this avenue, the very skills that would make anyone successful in their day to day non-trading life, are a must - I believe.
1) Do you have a happy life now outside of trading? Yes : then more likely than not, you're more fit to succeed in this.
2) Do you have a miserable life (such as jobless, etc) - then likely you're not best fit for this.

3) But if you're in situation 1, why would you pursue this - unless you have a real passion for it ... no reason whatsoever.

People giving up their job to pursue this are a different kind of animal: they're aware of their abilities, they could have been full time employees to their pension, but they want to change something. They want more. This % is small. 2 & 3 probably account for the 95% of the turnover in this business.

reallypo
Colorado Springs Colo/USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

I used to blow up! I would add to a loser, miss my stops, and be like a deer in the headlights. I am finally over that but now am b/e since I kill winners too soon. Advice?

roadahead 
Dubai UAE

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 54

reallypo View Post
I used to blow up! I would add to a loser, miss my stops, and be like a deer in the headlights. I am finally over that but now am b/e since I kill winners too soon. Advice?

@reallypo,
What made you b/e?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

reallypo

What made you b/e?

I quit adding to losers. I honor my stops. Now I have the fear of losing so I take profit way too quick

Thanked by:
 roadahead 
Dubai UAE

reallypo View Post
What made you b/e?

I quit adding to losers. I honor my stops. Now I have the fear of losing so I take profit way too quick

Does it mean your winners now are +/- equal to losers?

reallypo

Does it mean your winners now are +/- equal to losers?

I cut my winners very short but on the flip side I am not tolerant of losses. If the trade starts to go against me I am out!

roadahead 
Dubai UAE

What timeframe do you trade? And what is the main technique (reasoning) behind cutting your winners? Or just blindly "it went too far..."

reallypo

What timeframe do you trade? And what is the main technique (reasoning) behind cutting your winners? Or just blindly "it went too far..."

5 min chart-- No reason other then fear, dont want to be wrong, dont want to take a loss. No technical reason to exit when I do

roadahead 
Dubai UAE

You may try this thread:

Sent using the nexusfi.com mobile app

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 13, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts