NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Time to Give Up

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 30 posts (483 thanks)
    2. looks_two HoopyTrading with 18 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kronie with 17 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rory with 17 posts (33 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FXwulf with 28.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 23.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Massive l with 18 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 190,230 views
    2. thumb_up 2,595 thanks given
    3. group 246 followers
    1. forum 591 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Time to Give Up

olobay 
Montreal

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: DeepDiscountTrading.com
Trading: CL

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

kronie 
NYC + NY / USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: "I trade, therefore, I AM!"; Theme Song: "Atomic Dog!"
Trading: EMD, 6J, ZB

olobay View Post

the key?

money, and a huge account from which to earn from...

Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

dimas View Post
I think that giving up is not gentle way of business way..
It's shameful, trading without success for 2 years. I'm sure there are something errors with your trading strategy..
The best way is sorting and evauating your own strategy, you can find your errors and mistakes when you enter position...
If you able to find and correct them, im sure you can use it as your weapons in forex trade..

Al Brooks said he took 10 years to become CP. But yes after 2 or 3 years, maybe better to focus on trade and money management rather than multiple variations of the same entry system. It's the other half and no less important side of entering a trade.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

kronie 
NYC + NY / USA

Platform: "I trade, therefore, I AM!"; Theme Song: "Atomic Dog!"
Trading: EMD, 6J, ZB

when you just hang on, for the association...

or for the chatbox posts of no relevance to trading... a specific contract or position or approach (such as fibs or profile or momentum or whatever)

or when the bitterness (of a failed trading career) over shadows rationale thought, all the time...

mowing lawns at least pays cash on the barrel and during the summer always has a sweet aroma through the neighborhood....

hey....

its time!

sptrader 
Colorado

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: IB & Iqfeed
Trading: ES , CL
Thanks Given: 1,097
Thanks Received: 701

Fear in trading is inversely proportional to account size...success is directy proportional to account size...
In other words, the larger the account size, the less "fear" of losing and the greater the chance of success.
Over decades of trading, I've found that money management (and account size), is far more important than any individual entry or exit point.

Ming80 
Singapore

Experience: None
Platform: -
Trading: Diversified
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 51

Perhaps a way to view when to give up or exit trading could be viewed in a similar way in managing/exiting a single trade. There are many outcomes to one's trading career just as in a single trade e.g:

1. Initial Stop Loss - When a objective drawdown has been hit.
2. Breakeven Stop - If over a measured amount of time there has been no improvement to equity, exit.
3. Trailing Stop - Quit while you're ahead and don't give back everything!
4. Profit Target - Quit trading career after X amount of $
5. Profit Target and Let Winners Run - Bank a large portion of money after $X and continue trading to see what happens
6. Keep on Pressing until EOD

As there are many possible outcomes in one's trade, same could be in one's trading career and I think it would help to set objectives in place first just like a trade. It helps in a way to keep perspective and let the trading process flow.

Thanked by:
 BlueTrin 
London UK

Experience: None
Platform: NT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 3

FXWulf, what an incredible tale. I hope that now that you solved (?) the 'trading' side of your life, you will find the balance in the 'personal' side of your life. Thanks for sharing the experience.

wayania
aceh+indonesia

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

dimas View Post
I think that giving up is not gentle way of business way..
It's shameful, trading without success for 2 years. I'm sure there are something errors with your trading strategy..
The best way is sorting and evauating your own strategy, you can find your errors and mistakes when you enter position...
If you able to find and correct them, im sure you can use it as your weapons in forex trade..

You are right, giving up is sign of weakness. Weakness must be throw away from our mind and keep go a head...
I never giving up in forex trade, Yeah i always got loses there but do not make my account wiped..
I will never to give up..
Forever..!!!

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Platform: TW TOS LiveVol
Broker: TD, TW, IB, Saxo
Trading: VXX, VIX, SPY
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 1,416

As a newbie I stumbled into this forum a few weeks ago just looking for a journalling spreadsheet.

Since that time I have awakened to the fact that I want to become a trader.

I did not even dare to allow myself to dream of being a trader in the past. What, me?

My starting assumption: it's all about the psychology. And.

It's hard money

My fundamental nature is that of an addict. But I managed to put the drink and drugs down 31 years ago.

This proves to me that I am capable of making and sustaining the changes inside that have to be made.

Meanwhile I embrace that part of me that is an addict, because that is a source of a lot of intense energy, drive, and desire. You might say that I have got the addictive psychology under control.

Now I am going to do it with the trading psychology.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

olobay View Post

I saw that video kind of recently. Just nitpicking although I'm sure it's the same idea possibly to many others, but I could never relate to the word "grit" like from that movie and remake "true grit". Preserverance and Willpower are two other words of a similar vein but they imply having to sustain their meanings. And how long can one sustain something difficult to do and call it "grit", "preserverance" or "willpower"?

One time I was watching basketball with a friend who was an avid basketball fan. And we were watching the usual big scorers of each team (could have been Charles Barkley at the time) racking up the points. Then I curiously asked him , "what makes the difference between <this big scorer> and the other players?" where the other players were gifted and strong and skilled athletes as well. And my friend who wasn't well educated , a typical "joe sixpack" type who had only worked in manufacturing said "shEEr detErmination".

That word "determination" spoke to me better. Because it implies some personal goal to be reminded of everyday, something more than just slaving away at something (sometimes for someone else's success (the bosses' profits?) ) and eventually getting exhausted without a personal interest or goal in mind. It also cuts "better" through naysayers (and their effects of discouragement) sometimes people close to oneself, friends , family even coaches and teachers. One has to want it, desire it, and have some fuel for the sustained ("grit")/"determination" from the desire to reach one's goals.

So becoming a profitable trader I kind of compare to a tennis(or golf or whatever highly competitive sport, and individual trading is more like an individual sport) association. There are many pros in the ATP who make a living and a salary year to year as long as they can but never make it into the top 50 ranked players. And who rarely if never get seen in prime-time of the quarterfinals of any tennis tournament. Yet , like trading they are determined to make their living based on their field. And it's a very small percentage of overall players in the world who can get to that level and then like trading, varying profit levels reaching up to the top "earners". Anyways , just my rambling thoughts about it. And what do I know. I am still struggling with my own trading, and have not given up , but have realized trading is extremely competitive like a coliseum with ways to get hurt more than a sporting event or class exam. But my friend's observation of a competitive sport kind of spoke to me more than the TED lady's idea of motivating students.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 13, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts