NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

RTR1701 TST Journal - Learn through reviewing

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RTR1701 with 47 posts (23 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Daytrader999 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DarkPoolTrading with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 8,720 views
    2. thumb_up 25 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 54 posts
    2. attach_file 75 attachments

Search this Thread

RTR1701 TST Journal - Learn through reviewing

RTR1701 
London UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IG Index
Trading: FX. Futures, Spreadbetting
Thanks Given: 160
Thanks Received: 40

This journal is to document my progress towards attempting to try out for the TST combine in future months as many other members here have done. This phase will be a practice account, and this journal has been started due to the awful mess I made of the first few weeks, in the practice account and a need to document my trades formally and indeed publicly so that I can review and amend as appropriate. And to bring discipline back to my trading which has been very absent recently.

This journal will be a trade journal and will be a supplement to a historic journal which was intended to document the path to this point here:

I was gob-smacked when I went back to get the link for that and realised I had not shared my progress since October last year!! My bad!! And the excuses for that will be posted there separately!!

This is also supplementary to the business plan I wrote and have started to implement which was drawn up on the back of the bad few weeks. The plan for anyone that wishes to look over it is here:

RTR1701 Trading Plan

As for this – I have no idea how long it will take to get to the level of consistency I require of myself before I even try the combine and of course any feedback from the “old hands” at any time would always be welcome!
The plan is to post every day where trades are made with the day type analysis and initial thoughts, along with individual trades (where I remember to screen shot them!) with rationale and a good points v learning opportunities that the day has provided.

My next post will be the analysis and trades from today.

Wish me luck!!

Graeme

Never stop learning - never stop applying the knowledge.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 RTR1701 
London UK

Actually – before I post the trades I think some “full disclosure” is required as clearly confession is good for the soul!!
Just to show how messed up things were I have posted the TST trade reports for the first two weeks:

And for the second account up to the point where I realised I HAD to stop the rut and get a grip!!

Well now you know the scale of the challenge!!

RTR1701 
London UK

Day analysis

Expectation of a range type day as described below:

First Trade

I failed to use “snagit” but it was a long taken at 1543.25 off yesterday’s low with little selling showing in the volume footprint. This was pretty much broken straightaway and I then expected a test of the “virgin” VAH as described above so exited @1541.75 expecting a better lower entry.

Second Trade

Was a long taken at 1540.25 as shown in the images below:

This trade was exited way way way too early for all the wrong reasons at 1542.00:

Third trade

By now I had convinced myself that my initial analysis was wrong and that a test of the falling VWAP would lead to a continuation of the down move and new lows so short 1543.00:

The exit was simply based on the price action as below – and of course another change of mind back to my original range theory!

Fourth Trade

A Switch over to the Euro now – Clear downtrend for the day and a pullback that hit consolidation at a previous swing low and recent consolidation at the same area – then a break out down entry short 1.2857.

The tightening of the stop in that trade proved right and prevented a 30 tick move against which would have meant my initial 15 tick stop would have been hit.

Fifth Trade

Was a test or so I thought of the VPOC as shown below entry short @ 1.546.75

Again price shoved straight through the VPOC which invalidated the set up and I exited at 1.48.50.
So three losses and stop for the day – so sayeth the trading plan!

Lessons from the day:

1/ Believe in myself – as is so often the case my pre-trade analysis was not bad – it did turn into a range day although price did not make my expected high target of yesterday’s close.

Trade 1’s exit was appropriate to plan because I expected a re-entry at better value.

Trade 2 - Had I believed in myself and not allowed the daily noise to whisper in my ear, then trade two would have been the trade of the day, as allowed to run it would have been exited as soon as we saw the double top at today’s pivot at 1549.25 which would have been a structurally important point which would not have been ignored!

Trade 3 – The exit on this was good based on the price action which is the converse of the above point – BUT – the trade idea and location was flawed and I was suckered in by the noise whispering to me!

Trade 4 – This was a logical trade and exited correctly taking account of price action.

Trade 5 – whilst the exit was logical I really should not have taken given the proximity of the pivot point. Had I not done so then I could have carried on trading – and we know what happened when price got to the pivot point!!

Overall I am surprisingly relaxed about today. My principle objective since the disaster in the first few weeks is all about managing risk which was achieved. However I must learn to accept my initial analysis and only deviate if the initial premise is structurally beached.

I appreciate this is a long post – but it is important to me to be detailed in my thoughts for future review – I do hope though that I can improve on the way I use snagit it to produce more consolidated images to save space!

Any comments welcome!

Graeme

Thanked by:
 RTR1701 
London UK

Hi all

Day analysis – ES & 6E

Expectation of a range type day for ES and possible downtrend for 6E as described below:

First & Only Trade – ES short at 1554.75 as per analysis. Traded several times at 1555 but no fill so accepted one tick lower. Stop placed at 1557.75 which is above high and normal ES rotation so if reached I am very wrong in my analysis! Target at 1551.50 so more or less 1:1 risk/reward. Depending on progression – if goes into profits then I will be watching the developing TPO VAL low and Volume VAL for potential early exits. As this may well re-test the highs I cannot adjust the stop in at this point.

UPDATE Oh well just under two hours and stop hit. But small loss and fully acceptable.

Lessons from the day:

1/ Despite the loss this was a good day. Made a plan and traded it. For now I would rather trade the plan and build my discipline than fiddle with the trade. This will lead to a much more accurate review of trade performance and that is vital to the longer term.

2/ The euro only hit my sell location with less than an hour to go until the forced close with TST so I did not feel there was enough time to get anywhere near my targets so passed on the trade. This proved correct as at the time I needed to be flat price would have been exactly at the entry price!

Any comments welcome!

Graeme

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

None of your screenshots are working.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 RTR1701 
London UK

Big Mike View Post
None of your screenshots are working.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the heads up - I can see them but will try and work out why you cant.

Cheers

Graeme

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

RTR1701 View Post
Hi Mike

Thanks for the heads up - I can see them but will try and work out why you cant.

Cheers

Graeme

Press Ctrl-F5 to clear your cache. As far as I know, this would only happen if you hit the 'Remove' button after you embedded the image.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 RTR1701 
London UK

Big Mike View Post
Press Ctrl-F5 to clear your cache. As far as I know, this would only happen if you hit the 'Remove' button after you embedded the image.

Mike

Done that - I can still see them - how about you?

These were uploaded from local PC and embedded using the relevant button in manage attachments so should work?

Thanks

Graeme

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

I can see all attachments, except the ones in post #5.

Last Updated on September 10, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts