NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

RTR1701 TST Journal - Learn through reviewing

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RTR1701 with 47 posts (23 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Daytrader999 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DarkPoolTrading with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 8,720 views
    2. thumb_up 25 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 54 posts
    2. attach_file 75 attachments

Search this Thread

RTR1701 TST Journal - Learn through reviewing

RTR1701 
London UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IG Index
Trading: FX. Futures, Spreadbetting
Thanks Given: 160
Thanks Received: 40

Hi all

Some overnight comment make today’s pre London analysis interesting. As always see the charts for details

UPDATE:

Trade taken with reasons on the chart. Entry 13044 Target 13084 Stop 13020 so 1.6:1. Target is based on my analysis and stop is where that would be wrong.

Even as I type this the high from yesterday is being tested, so I could be wrong quite quickly!!

UPDATE @ 08:14 GMT
Stop hit.

Lessons from the day:

1/ Plan made – plan traded. Loss 0.6% of account and well within parameters. Losses are an inevitable consequence of business so I don’t have a problem with being proved wrong when risk is constrained logically and within tolerance.

2/ What I am not so happy about is losses that could have been avoided or at least reduced. I use a RAN service which I consider a vital tool to keep me up to speed on economic releases and unexpected news / rumours that can prove market moving.

After a stronger looking move busted through my stop I checked and found that for some reason the service had stopped and that Moodys and the other wires services were running comments about Spain’s deficit targets remaining elusive. We are talking the Euro here and it is a nervous little girl who tends to react badly to this type of unannounced news. Had I heard this it would have made more sense of the reactions and would undoubtedly have saved me some money – I don’t know if I would have reversed, but certainly have saved some money.

This is a game changer intraday and invalidates my previous analysis, and as I have to get to the day job now and I am working late tonight may well mean no more trades today, but I will look once back from work.

Hope you all have better luck today.

Graeme

Never stop learning - never stop applying the knowledge.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

RTR1701 
London UK

Hi all

So frustrating yesterday and today, my “superfast” cable internet was doing a good impression of a one-legged tortoise and so many disconnects making it impossible to believe anything I was seeing was actually live.

Naturally that is no way to trade and every way to lose even practice money.

So—teddy grabbed and thrown firmly out of the pram and called the ISP and “politely” told them to park their internet somewhere else and cancel the contract and refund all payments – and don’t even think about cancellation fees!!!
Well that worked but the consequence was no stop loss – or replacement ISP in place so will be without wired internet until next week.

I have mobile which I can tether but no way am I trusting to that!

Oh well – enforced leave for one week and I will resume as soon as I am confident the replacement is stable

Graeme

RTR1701 
London UK

Hi all

Using my iPhone tethered to give me internet - lets hope it will prove viable!

Today's pre-trade analysis on the chart below:

RTR1701 
London UK

Following on from the above post:

The charts are very jumpy using the temporary solution and in fast markets I would be severely disadvantaged so I will need to be careful!

Only two trades today partly as I am uneasy with the data flow and partly as my read is off today and I don’t want to allow too much of that to creep into the trade decisions.

First Trade 6E:

This was the short with rationale as explained on the chart and was in line with my first impressions in the analysis. Entry was slightly late at 1.3089 after a rejection from the previous swing high. Target was 1.3052 in line with my initial thoughts on the lower distribution forming, and stop 1.3104 which was allowing for a few ticks test/trap as often happens. Reward/risk 2.47:1.

On the exit chart below there is some serious chop at the high – and I should really have paid more attention to that as eventually moved up and hit my stop for -15.

Second Trade 6E:

So – with the 1st trade invalidating my first choice analysis then it seemed reasonable that the market would take the second route which would be to fill the low volume area and seek value in the upper distribution so when I saw the breakout pullback long type set up – I had to try it and went long at 1.3098 with a target just inside the full day session VAH at 1.3125 and stop at 1.3083 as that would invalidate the trade premise. So 1.8:1.

The market then gave me a double top at 1.3107 which was just above my stop in the first trade – and a similar consolidation - now I am in some doubt over the likely momentum on the trade.

It was still possible we may just get a sideways range before another move up, and this time I am with the previous price trend - so I decided to hold but be alert to a break of 1.3094 which would make me wrong given a previous swing low forming after the initial trade entry – if this was to go up – then clearly we need higher highs and higher lows! Stop moved up to 1.3091 as there was no sense in ignoring the market twice in one day! After what seemed like forever the market took the stop for my second avoidable loss of the day -7

Lessons from the day:

1/ My analysis and options were right in the sense that the area I identified were correct and represented changes in market state, but I was in reality trading in the middle of that very area I identified as possibly going to fill and that was a bad error.

2/ The big learn from today though was that both consolidation areas were big red flags and I really need to react to these types of situation and cut the trade there and then and wait for a better set up.

Graeme

RTR1701 
London UK

Hi all

Slight change – as there is no feedback on the live analysis I will now only post at the end of the day to reduce the time taken out of my already limited trading hours to post my analysis at the beginning of my trading session – I am conscious that I post most of the time at least 2 hours into the US session and for many I guess that would be too late - unless of course it is proving useful to someone other than myself - in which case please let me know and I will reconsider.

Analysis for the day

As usual I am entering the fray once the main move has happened and facing a day of do I ride the high or fade it.

The analysis was based on the possibility of a pullback – but when that did not happen the only trade of the day occurred as shown later.

First and only trade entry

Just after I did the analysis there was a determined push up and it seemed fairly obvious that we were then less likely to get the pullback the analysis required. So I then adapted the plan and watched how the 1.3200 level was approached and defended.

The entry was at 1.3186 on a buy stop initial target 1.3216 based on observation that often the first break of a round number will stop 20 ticks in, and stop 1.3178 so reward to risk 3.3:1.

Took some initial heat to within 2 ticks of the stop – but survived. Market went onside and then triple topped after 30 minutes on three consecutive 250T candles. Given the lack of momentum, and lessons learned from previous days. I decided to remove risk and went to BE +1 as the momentum was not there.

Eventually though the market took the 200 handle by 6 ticks, but again there was not aggressive buying at that level, and I was aware the ATR of 6e was already exceeded from the London low. So I took the 10 ticks by this point the market gave me and decided to sit the rest of the day out, as the no trade in the last hour rule was sure to come into play. This proved the right move as market at close was back at my entry so +10 – a green day is a green day!

Lessons from the day:

1/ My analysis and options were appropriate, but evolution of price dictated a revised plan, so adapt and survive proved to be correct.

2/ I need to continue to trust my feel for the market and recognition of patterns from past observations and react to what I am seeing

Graeme

RTR1701 
London UK

Hi all

Analysis for the day

Something of a pattern developing here but - as usual I am entering the fray once the main move has happened and facing a day of do I ride the low or look for a retrace?

The analysis was similar to yesterday but in reverse – looking for a larger pullback to go for the short trade. That said I was already aware that the logical pullback was a long way off, so as yesterday I was already on the lookout for alternatives.

First trade

Soon after a good low risk entry appeared as shown on the chart entry 1.0340 stop only 1.3047 and initial target was 1.3010 to front run the round number which I saw as a pivotal support level. Ratio 4.28:1

Stopped out early due to reversal 4 ticks ahead of target as shown on the chart and took +19

Second Trade

This was a simple support turned resistance type trade entry at 1.3029 again tight stop at 1.3035 as set up would be invalid there. Same target as before front running the round number at 1.3000 so 4.85:1.

This time price immediately started to churn low volume, and previous days lesson alerted me to this and decided to scratch which proved correct as stop would have been hit and price moved much higher.

Third Chart

This was a trade based on the confluence of Vol and TPO POC and was simply looking for a retest of the areas shown on the chart. Entry 1.3047 Stop 1.3057 Target 1.3030 so 1.7:1.

Trade missed target by one tick and started to reverse. Given the SHORT term trend was up I decided to move the stop to +6 which was hit. Naturally had I not moved the stop the target would have been hit – BUT the move was based on my interpretation and that is still OK in my mind. Better a profit than a loss. +10

Fourth trade

Oops moving the stop for the third trade was messed up and I ended up reversing! Lucky for me I was able to get out -1.

Lessons from the day:

1/ Overall pretty happy and lessons from previous day prevented losses. Just 3 ticks MAE over all trades.

2/ The trade errors will happen. In this case it was because I was over tired – the good news is that I realised that and stopped trading for the day to preserve the gains.

Graeme

Thanked by:
 RTR1701 
London UK

Hi all

Analysis for the day

I forgot to take screen captures on Friday so for “full disclosure” I made three consecutive small losses for a total of -20. The fact that I forgot the captures is yet another symptom that I was trading over tired on Friday and should not have been trading – lesson learnt but fortunately no real damage to the account balance.

On to today.

The London session had moved 6E lower and we now had a double distribution day in the making so I had to analyse the potential for further movers to the downside – or for reversal – analysis on the chart below.

First trade

Soon after I saw that price was beginning to consolidate in the expected area, and I was able to get short on a sell stop at 1.3052 after a double top and shooting star combo just after the capture.

So entry 1.3052 target 1.3032 and stop 1.062 and 2:1 ratio. The trade tested my patience by going sideways for what seemed like an eternity, and normally I would apply a time stop. The only reasons I did not do that was that price made two subsequent attempts to go higher than the signal candle, and each time was rejected after one or two ticks which suggested there was enough supply at those levels to keep the market down, so I decided to let it ride for 2.5 hours – you can guess the rest -10

Lessons from the day:

1/ Today proved that I must add a time based rule to my trades. Pretty much every time I use discretion to hold a trade to give it room – the trade fails, whereas pretty much every time I cut a trade it prevents losses. There is no room for being stubborn.

2/ This was another day of consolidation for a long period in 6E. I am not sure if this is a coincidence or a larger pattern, and the fact I don’t know means some “back testing” of the range and types of movement in the hours I normally trade is needed.

Graeme

RTR1701 
London UK

An hour watching the pre-London open 6E consolidation, knowing it would likely do its break - fake - reverse London dance - but needing to get breakfast and go to work and coming back 8 MINUTES later seeing 40 or so ticks break and knowing it was too late to see what happened next. Then coming back too late to trade US – having a day job SUCKS!!

BUT Knowing what could happen prevented me from chasing the move in 6E which was the right thing as it only went 15 or so more before the 100ish tick sell off. Despite the frustration I am pleased my resolve held.

Graeme

RTR1701 
London UK

It has been a while since I posted – essentially a mix of holidays and the day job going nuts left me with even less time to trade so it was better not to trade at all rather than trade in a hurry and make mistakes.

In the continued bid to save time and space I will only post one chart per trade where needed.

Daily analysis – ES in up trend and profile shows a fairly normal distribution at the moment consolidated profile and looking to test the lower extremities of this down to at least the volume VAL at the time of trade which was 10:50 US time. Looking for longs from the lower 25% of the profile initially.

Mindful of FOMC minutes in two hours so will need to keep an eye on things.

First (and as it transpired only) trade set up:

Significant support at volume VAL and plenty of congestion as per the chart. Entry 44.25 Stop placed below the swing low at 41.75 and target 47.00 below the upper congestion. Risk 10 ticks reward 11 ticks so just 1:1.

Stayed in the trade for what seemed like an eternity as the market flattened ahead of FOMC and with 15 mins to go my rules say flatten so I took the one whole tick the market offered at that point – but rules are rules!

Did it go higher – yes. Did it hit original target before FOMC nope but FOMC drove it through – not that I knew that straightaway as my internet provider decides to throw a wobbler just at the very moment the minutes are released and it took me 30 mins to get a connection and even then had to tether a phone to do it – no more trades today – watching the stability of the line!!

Anyway – do I regret closing the trade? No – as I say rules are rules and I live to fight another day – could so easily have gone the other way and capital preservation is key IMO

Thanked by:
 RTR1701 
London UK

As you will see from the charts I decided to clean things up a little on the entry chart and have removed a lot of the distracting lines that were giving me too many places to trade at.

I still have market profile on a separate chart – but I don’t look at it all the time – maybe every hour or so to “summarise” and check my visualisation of developing value in the day.

Daily analysis – ES had a good pop to the upside overnight on the 10th and built stepping ranges yesterday, and in profile terms looks like at least for the early session it would be probable to range today unless some momentum builds but as there was no news I couldn't really see that happening on a Friday. If anything maybe some profit taking towards the afternoon?

With that in mind I am looking for range type scalps.

First trade set up:

The Michigan number gave the first opportunity as the headline number was less than expectation and price was up against a recently developing range high. SO everything suggested at least a scalp back down to the range bottom.

Entry 69.50 Target 67.75 and stop 71.50 so stop 8 ticks target 7 ticks. Because this was a tight stop I could add some lots to the trade.

Price moved more or less straightaway but stalled at 68 even which was the exact prior swing low so I exited which the right thing to do.

Second Trade set up:

Previous support and daily pivot point seemed like a good place for another attempt long entry 67.50 stop tight at 66.50 4 ticks target 69.50 8 ticks.

Trade went sideways for 30 minutes, and the 68 level which was previous support was being defended several times from above. My rules are if a trade has not worked within 30 minutes then my placement was not in accord with market sentiment so I closed at +1.

At time of writing price still had not hit either stop or target an hour after placed so given the combine standard rules having a time bar on the trades does help the trade duration criteria (I do realise a custom evaluation can be done)

Third Trade*

Bad move – reacted to squawk announcement of French downgrade from Fitch before realising that was just in line with Moody’s etc, so closed out as the premise of the trade was wrong for an unnecessary but manageable 2 tick loss!

Will update if more trades.

Graeme

Last Updated on September 10, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts