NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,939 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,351

Cashish View Post
You Go 'dog!

Thanks, but it is a long, long way to go!

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks

DarkPoolTrading   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,244
Thanks Received: 1,326

kevinkdog View Post
I will post something on discontinuing a little later today.

In the meantime, do you have a link where FT71 talks about next trade being 50/50? I'm having trouble understanding how that is true for strategies like option selling (where you might have a 90% win percentage) or trend following (I have one strat that wins only about 25% of the time).

Thanks

Hi there,

If I recall correctly he talks about it in this webinar:
Webinar: FuturesTrader [AUTOLINK]FT71[/AUTOLINK] on Risk, Sizing, [AUTOLINK]Scaling[/AUTOLINK] and Trading Probabilities

He has mentioned it in several webinars. Essentially his point is that the outcome of the very next trade is 50/50. Yes, you may have a historical win percentage of X. But you dont know ahead of time where in the distribution of trades your wins and losses will be. All you know is that over time, your win percentage will likely be around X percent. So he's not referring to your overall win percentage, he is talking about the very next trade.

Give it a listen/watch, he explains it far better

Diversification is the only free lunch
Follow me on Twitter

Trovatore 
Budapest, Hungary

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 51
Thanks Received: 8

kevinkdog View Post
OK, so you want to know if your new strategy is performing to expectations, right?

This is nice, but it doesn't convey a lot of information, especially early on. To get more insight, add 2 lines for the +/- standard deviation curves:

Upper curve: n*avg + sqrt(n)*(std dev)*X
Avg curve: n*avg
Lower curve: n*avg - sqrt(n)*(std dev)*X

What this tells you is that roughly 68% (X=1) or 95% (X=2) of the time, your equity curve should be within the upper or lower bands. That is a pretty good range of performance. If it is outside of those bands, maybe there is something going on with your strategy.

Here is what my Combine system looks like with X=2 bands:

Hi Kevin, this goes back to a post of yours from a week ago. I am sometimes a bit slow (and not a King of Statistics )
Anyway, as I was trying to digest the meaning of the bands, this is what I got confused about. When you cut off the 'too lucky' and 'too unlucky' tails of the bell curve at 2 standard deviations from the mean, you exclude 2.5% worth of very lucky samples and another 2.5% of very unlucky samples, keeping the least extreme 95% in between. Do you agree that what you call "Lower 5%" is actually the curve below which you've got the worst 2.5%? (and what you have above the "Upper 95%" curve is actually the best 2.5%)

A related question: what was actually the expectancy and the standard deviation that you had at the end of your testing? I estimate the expectancy (average trade net profit) was around $71-$72 - but how much was the standard deviation of the walk-forward sample?

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Trovatore View Post
Hi Kevin, this goes back to a post of yours from a week ago. I am sometimes a bit slow (and not a King of Statistics )
Anyway, as I was trying to digest the meaning of the bands, this is what I got confused about. When you cut off the 'too lucky' and 'too unlucky' tails of the bell curve at 2 standard deviations from the mean, you exclude 2.5% worth of very lucky samples and another 2.5% of very unlucky samples, keeping the least extreme 95% in between. Do you agree that what you call "Lower 5%" is actually the curve below which you've got the worst 2.5%? (and what you have above the "Upper 95%" curve is actually the best 2.5%)

Yes you are correct. My choice of labels was misleading, at best. Here is a chart that shows the correct distribtuion graphically.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Trovatore View Post

A related question: what was actually the expectancy and the standard deviation that you had at the end of your testing? I estimate the expectancy (average trade net profit) was around $71-$72 - but how much was the standard deviation of the walk-forward sample?

Since I am using 3 different strategies here, it is easiest to express the expectancy based on a trading day...

Average Trading Day: $71.42
Std Dev: $425.17

Average Losing Day: -$294.31

If you consider expectancy as average trade, it is $71.42

If you consider expectancy as avg trade / avg loss, it is .243

Another thing to point out is that the distribution of trades is not a normal (bell) shaped curve, which can be a big problem, depending on the analysis you do.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

In the attachment below, you will see an article that I wrote for the August 2010 issue of SFO Magazine (not defunct - thanks Russell Wassendorf Sr.!)

If you don't want to read the article, here are the main points:

1) Establish a quitting point or stopping point for any strategy you begin trading - BEFORE you start trading it.

2) Write it down, share it with trading partners, etc.

3) Follow It!

From what I've seen, and from my own personal experience, I can tell you that this is much harder than it seems. In fact, most people don't do this at all, and instead make a knee jerk, emotional, heat of the moment decision to stop trading a system. Of course, that is the worst time to make any kind of decision.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: Know When to Quit a Trading System.doc
Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

That's a great idea, thanks!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Trovatore 
Budapest, Hungary

kevinkdog View Post
Another thing to point out is that the distribution of trades is not a normal (bell) shaped curve, which can be a big problem, depending on the analysis you do.

I guess that's where Monte Carlo simulation comes on stage as a handy tool? I mean you don't need to be a professor of statistics but you can still make good sense of the results, like how likely is it that you will have at least X dollars of profit after N trades, or no more than Y% drawdown.

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Trovatore View Post
I guess that's where Monte Carlo simulation comes on stage as a handy tool? I mean you don't need to be a professor of statistics but you can still make good sense of the results, like how likely is it that you will have at least X dollars of profit after N trades, or no more than Y% drawdown.

Yes, that is a very good way to put it.

Trovatore 
Budapest, Hungary

kevinkdog View Post
Since I am using 3 different strategies here, it is easiest to express the expectancy based on a trading day...

Average Trading Day: $71.42
Std Dev: $425.17

The ratio of the expectancy (average trading day) over the standard deviation is 0.17 in this case.
It's interesting to look at this value from the perspective of Van Tharp's guidelines to system quality. In his book Super Trader, he suggests that a system with a ratio of 0.16-0.19 is 'poor but tradable' (this sounds a bit harsh but that's not my purpose). He considers ratios from 0.2 upwards 'average', 0.25+ 'good', 0.3+ 'excellent', 0.5+ 'superb' and 0.7+ 'Holy Grail'.

This is how I can relate Dr. Tharp's classification to your Combine experience: you have a good reason to think that your system has an edge (it's tradable). It has a positive average trading day, which is a good basis to expect profits in the long run. However the aspect that makes it less than good (in his harsh wording: poor) is that the standard deviation is relatively high. If you could get the same average day with half the standard deviation (bringing the ratio to an excellent 0.34), your 95% range breadth would also be halved. One consequence is that you would need far less trades to see the lower band cross the zero line: exactly the criteria you mentioned as so important to give green light for trading with real money.
As I calculated assuming a normal distribution, it takes almost 100 trades (days) with the ratio of 0.17 for the worst 5% to reach slightly positive profit. With a ratio of 0.34, this 'worst 5% breakeven' would take 24 trades (days). This is quite a difference, and especially so in the context of the Combine, where the first is beyond the end of the Combine period, whereas the second means you would have to be very very unlucky to finish with a loss.

I wonder what is a fair conclusion regarding the decision whether you should trade this strategy with real money. A possible answer: if you are patient enough, you could. However, if you have (or can develop) a strategy which has a better average/StDev ratio, then it's better to use that one and not your current Combine strategy. Though even then, it depends how highly you value the diversification aspect.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts