NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,140 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Search this Thread

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

xelaar View Post
Kevin
A large barrier option was rumored there. If you trade levels it always paid to place limits ahead of any round number or important high or low because there can be some large interest preventing price from touching the level.
All the best. Alex

Yes, and in this case, who knows what would have happened, had that barrier been broken? In my mind, that is why hindsight bias can be so bad. Just looking at the chart now, I conclude I missed a great trade. But really, had price broken 1.3100 and soared higher, I may have avoided a loser. I just don't know.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

After almost a week of no trades, with only 3 weeks left in the Combine, and minimum 6 trading days left to trade, being stuck, essentially in neutral, is really frustrating.

The impulse to go "rouge" - to just start trading, in hopes of passing the Combine, is very strong.

But then, what's the point? The point of the Combine is to pass it, and then stay funded. The point is not to pass the Combine just to pass it, or for me to look better to all the people reading this journal.

I'm sure this impulse has hit most traders out there. After a time of "treading water" performance, the demons start to come out. They tell you to trade trade trade. Do something, anything, to start making some money. The voices tell you that time is passing you by, and others are making profits, but not you. Take a flyer trade, take a gamble, the voices say.

Don't listen to the voices.

I'm surely not. I'm trading the same plan I started out with. If it works, great. If not, oh well.

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: tos
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 347

kevinkdog View Post
After almost a week of no trades, with only 3 weeks left in the Combine, and minimum 6 trading days left to trade, being stuck, essentially in neutral, is really frustrating.

The impulse to go "rouge" - to just start trading, in hopes of passing the Combine, is very strong.

But then, what's the point? The point of the Combine is to pass it, and then stay funded. The point is not to pass the Combine just to pass it, or for me to look better to all the people reading this journal.

I'm sure this impulse has hit most traders out there. After a time of "treading water" performance, the demons start to come out. They tell you to trade trade trade. Do something, anything, to start making some money. The voices tell you that time is passing you by, and others are making profits, but not you. Take a flyer trade, take a gamble, the voices say.

Don't listen to the voices.

I'm surely not. I'm trading the same plan I started out with. If it works, great. If not, oh well.

the above post is by far the smartest most intelligent post i have ever read on BIGMIKes site ,well done

:when you cheat -you only cheat yourself
refer to post # 470 & 527 & 930
option traders refer to post 996 thru 1005
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,539

kevinkdog View Post

Well, reality is, you are unlikely to pass the combine. You already know this.

So what you need to decide is whether or not there is enough data to determine that your strategy is performing as expected, and simply was not good enough to pass the combine (which could mean any number of things, such as trade frequency or just luck), or if the strategy is not performing as expected and therefore should be discontinued or rewritten.

I assume that whether you pass or fail the combine, you'll continue to let the strategy run for a while longer so that you can make that decision.

If you choose to do another combine, I imagine you'll do so with more strategies in your portfolio to increase the trade frequency. You could even include this strategy in that, and add to it with some others.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Excellent observations and suggestions!

Big Mike View Post
Well, reality is, you are unlikely to pass the combine. You already know this.

Only a lucky run can help me now...

Big Mike View Post
So what you need to decide is whether or not there is enough data to determine that your strategy is performing as expected, and simply was not good enough to pass the combine (which could mean any number of things, such as trade frequency or just luck), or if the strategy is not performing as expected and therefore should be discontinued or rewritten.

Definitely correct. I think the jury is still out on this strategy, due to the lack of trading.

Big Mike View Post
I assume that whether you pass or fail the combine, you'll continue to let the strategy run for a while longer so that you can make that decision.

Yes, probably another 2-4 months. Then I should have enough data to make an intelligent decision.

Big Mike View Post
If you choose to do another combine, I imagine you'll do so with more strategies in your portfolio to increase the trade frequency. You could even include this strategy in that, and add to it with some others.

I hadn't thought of that, mainly because I was thinking of trading only the Euro. I could add another Euro strategy, or I could introduce another instrument. I'd have to develop a strat for another instrument, to meet the combine rules.

One thing I would do is develop/modify all strategies to meet the "second" round of the combine (I'm not sure what that second round is called). But, in it there are rules for weekly loss, and the introduction of a trailing stop, among other things. I'd want these in from the beginning, since otherwise I might pass the first, but not the second.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

If you've read through this journal, you'll see there are quite a few times that I talk about "luck." I talk about being lucky, having luck on my side, etc.

You might wonder "Hey, Kevin, if you are supposedly a winning trader, why do you need luck?"

Well, my definition of luck is "when preparedness meets opportunity.*" I'll explain how that applies to trading, but first an example from football.

Last football season, the San Francisco 49ers had a great quarterback named Alex Smith. After a terrific 2010 season, there was no doubt he was the starting QB. He was just that good.

His backup was also pretty good. His name was Colin Kapernick, and he knew he was the likely backup all season. BUT, he practiced, paid attention and otherwise played as if he'd be called on at a moment's notice. In other words, he was prepared.

Midway through the season, Alex Smith got a concussion and could not play. So, Colin Kapernick became the starter (his opportunity). He seized the job, took full advantage, and kept the starting role the of the year, until the 49ers lost the Super Bowl.

Some say Colin was lucky to get his chance to start. Maybe. But, to get this "luck" he needed the opportunity (Ales Smith's injury) and he needed to be prepared to take advantage (by practicing, rehearsing, etc). Fate might have opened the door, but Colin himself kicked it down and kept it open.

How does this relate to trading?

My experience is that, with positive expectancy trading systems, over the long haul "luck" tends to run in my favor. Big positive days tend to outnumber big negative days (although these negative days still occur, all too often for me!).

So, to me, "luck" in trading is when I create a positive expectancy trading system (preparedness), and then let it run wild in the market. Eventually, good opportunities are going to come along, and I'll be "lucky."

The bad thing is that you cannot count on luck. Sometimes it arrives, and sometimes (like my Combine so far), it does not. Regardless, you should be prepared anyhow, for any opportunity that comes around to give you luck.

* I think I got that definition from a personal development course from Earl Nightingale - "Lead The Field."

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Thanks, Kevin. A very good trading mindset and overview of expectation. Winning a Combine certainly requires some star alignment as even the best systems and traders can have their low days and day of no opportunities. Trading profitably over the time not putting too much risk on any day's or even month's outcome certainly not depending so much on celestial alignments. One should always remember that this is a probability game and no home to certainty to both any given trade outcome or even month's worth of trading outcome.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

No Trades Today.

Since my last trade was a week ago, here is where I currently stand...

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

No Trades Today, Tuesday April 30th.

We had a discussion earlier about altering your strategy just to pass the Combine. Some thought this was a good idea, some did not.

I found a recent funded trader. Take a look at his results, especially the last 30% of his Combine.

NOT MY RESULTS BELOW...

What do you think?

Thanked by:
Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

kevinkdog View Post
What do you think?

I thought that was smart trading, I saw that earlier yesterday. He was done by day 7, there was no reason to screw it up for the last 3 days, so he took 3 1-1 tick profits each days.

Completely by the rules, smart move. He has to pass the live trade preparation anyway....

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts