NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,249 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Search this Thread

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Given your mean-reverting strategy maybe something reasonably volatile with similar characteristics as euro but more session-based in its activity will be better. Maybe NQ or YM? Too bad TF is not permitted, nor DAX. If you take a small combine again, 5 dollars per tick might give extra flexibility to risk management, as compared to 12.5 dollars per tick in euro..

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

xelaar View Post
Given your mean-reverting strategy maybe something reasonably volatile with similar characteristics as euro but more session-based in its activity will be better. Maybe NQ or YM? Too bad TF is not permitted, nor DAX. If you take a small combine again, 5 dollars per tick might give extra flexibility to risk management, as compared to 12.5 dollars per tick in euro..

That's spooky...we trade very differently, yet we think alike. I was thinking about YM, actually, if I can;t get the Euro to work...

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Improving My Performance, and Making Changes, For The Next Combine

After breaking even in the first Combine, I have decided that I need some enhancement to my original strategies.

Why?

Reason #1:

If you go back to the thread beginning, you'll see I figured that I had less than a 50% chance of passing the Combine (I would be low on Net Profit, most likely). So, I need to enhance/modify/eliminate/add to my existing strategies to give myself a better chance to pass. I have more time to create a strategy, which I did not have before, so I should be able to.

Reason #2:

Since the Live Trader Prep rules might be different than the Combine rules, I want to, if possible, trade the same systems for all phases. There is no sense in me passing the Combine with my strategies, only to fail the Live Trader Prep due to some different rules (like trailing stops, or max consecutive losses, etc.)

Sometime next week, I plan on hopefully talking to John Hoagland, Director of Scouting for TST, about the Live Trader Prep. So, here is my plan:

1. Talk to TST about Live Trader Prep rules

2. Apply LTP rules to my existing strategies

3. Determine whether or not my existing strategies should stay or go

4. Add other strategies as needed to pass both Combine and LTP

The goal for next week will be to finish the first 3 steps, and start working on the 4th one.

Overall goal is to start Combine #2 on June 14 or 17.

COTtrader 
JACKSON, MICHIGAN
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TS and Trading View
Broker: TS
Trading: ES Awesome!
Thanks Given: 406
Thanks Received: 648

@kevinkdog
The YM naturally correlates with the ES. I have often traded the YM OPPOSITE the direction of my ES trades. The YM nicely consolidates and holds levels clearly seen while the ES jutters around before it determines its direction. When I see this and take an ES BUY trade for example, I will place a YM SELL trade 1-2 ticks below its consolidation area to "hedge" my ES position, in case I was wrong in the ES trade.

Does the combine allow you to trade that way--I should think it would or should. After all, that is a method of trading. By the way, why doesn't TopStep allow the TF to be traded in a Combine?

Ken "COTtrader"

kevinkdog View Post
That's spooky...we trade very differently, yet we think alike. I was thinking about YM, actually, if I can;t get the Euro to work...

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

COTtrader View Post
@kevinkdog
The YM naturally correlates with the ES. I have often traded the YM OPPOSITE the direction of my ES trades. The YM nicely consolidates and holds levels clearly seen while the ES jutters around before it determines its direction. When I see this and take an ES BUY trade for example, I will place a YM SELL trade 1-2 ticks below its consolidation area to "hedge" my ES position, in case I was wrong in the ES trade.

Does the combine allow you to trade that way--I should think it would or should. After all, that is a method of trading. By the way, why doesn't TopStep allow the TF to be traded in a Combine?

Ken "COTtrader"

I'm sure that method is acceptable. My guess with TF is with data fees and ICE. ICE probably wanted TST to pay real time data fees. Note no ICE product is permissible.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

If I could summarize my Combine experience, and what I learned, in one word, what do you think it would be?

Come to the TopStep webinar I am presenting on Friday at 1 PM EDT, and find out.

I guarantee that if you adhere to this one word, your trading will improve, probably dramatically. I think it is the key between winning and losing traders...

Details on the webinar to follow...

Thanked by:

treydog999 
seoul, Korea

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: CQG, DTN IQfeed
Trading: YM 6E
Thanks Given: 291
Thanks Received: 1,039

kevinkdog View Post
If I could summarize my Combine experience, and what I learned, in one word, what do you think it would be?

Come to the TopStep webinar I am presenting on Friday at 1 PM EDT, and find out.

I guarantee that if you adhere to this one word, your trading will improve, probably dramatically. I think it is the key between winning and losing traders...

Details on the webinar to follow...

wow that is a heck of a tagline. going to have to check it out now

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Awesome stuff. Will be in.

Thanked by:

gulabv 
Dallas, TX

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: ZN, 6E
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 169

Is there a link to your webinar ?

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

gulabv View Post
Is there a link to your webinar ?

I will post info when I get it from TopStepTrader. The webinar will be in their Squawk Radio room.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts