NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,140 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Search this Thread

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Ddawg View Post
Kevin, Do you have any research (or maybe gut instinct), on which of your trades on which days are higher percentage winners?

I have been looking at a strategy of trying to quantify the setup as a percentage, and then trade it with a size relative to its winning percentage. Basically, if I have a setup that runs at 70% (for example), trading it with much larger size. I am testing it out, and have not tried a combine yet...it may not even work.

Do you have any thoughts on how to improve/adapt this idea?

To try and explain it a little more: Lets say you had a strategy to fade the gap if it was more than 8 points, and found it was most effective on Fridays, could you model an expectancy for this idea? If Mon-Thurs was say 55%, but Friday jumped up to 70%, could you increase position sizing on this day to try to ramp up profitability?

Hopefully, this post makes sense.

Thanks
Danny
P.S. I really appreciate the discussion relative to sizing, and all the time you have put into these posts. It is very informative and interesting. Call me crazy but I love talking about trading

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.

A "day of the week" can be useful, if you have enough data backing it up, and you actually test the idea from the start. What many people do, though, is to run a system for a while, and after a couple of months say "Fridays I always win. Maybe I'll try double size on Fridays." With that approach, they are optimizing for day of the week after the fact, and probably without enough data. So, in that case I would not recommend it.

In using "day of week" approaches, I've started with the idea at the beginning of development. For example, I might say "every Friday, if the trend is up, I will look to buy Crude Oil near the close, and sell on Monday morning. The theory is that any natural disasters, terrorist attacks, wars/conflicts that start on the weekend might send crude much higher, especially when the general trend is up." My point is I try to build in the day of week idea before I actually test.

For position sizing purposes, I personally would not use winning percentage as the criteria. I'd use expectancy, or maybe largest loss, instead. The reason is that a 70% win system probably has small wins, and bigger losses. If you trade bigger size, and get hit with a loss, it will hurt a lot more.

But, every system is different, and it may be worth running some random simulations with different ideas, and see if one stands out.

I hope this answers your questions, if not please reply back.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts