NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,140 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Search this Thread

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

Damn!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

kevinkdog View Post
UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH! Waiting for the Big One, and almost had it today...

Like every other trader out there, occasionally I come across situations where my entry is almost hit, but isn't. Of course, then the market takes off without me. VERY frustrating. Today was such a day.

Missing an entry by a couple of ticks can be psychologically devastating. It makes you think "my system is good - it just needs a little adjustment," or maybe "the logic is sound, maybe I need to add more rules to my plan" or worse yet "how could my system miss such a great trade? I'm ditching it!" Your mind will think of a million ways to make that "nearly a trade" into "definitely a trade." In the end, your brain might actually think that trade WAS in your strategy - you just missed benefiting from it.

Of course, such thinking is dangerous. Just look at the facts - your strategy did not have that trade. Your backtest would not have had that trade. That "trade" wasn't a trade for you. It is nothing to you.

If you change your strategy to include that trade (maybe by entering a few ticks early, as price approaches your entry price), are you going to review your history, and include all other cases just like this? Maybe then your strategy will actually be worse - who knows?

On one hand, this makes me feel really good about the system - it was oh-so-close to getting a great trade. On the other hand, this fills me with disappointment. Not many whopper trades are out there, and my system just missed a great one.

Really, I should feel neither happiness, nor disappointment. I should feel NOTHING, because nothing happened.

The lesson here is DON'T PLAY THE "IF" GAME. As someone once said, "if 'ifs' were fifths, we'd all be drunk!"

I have fallen in love with this post.

It simply lights up the path I need to take.

If I can spell out this post in block letters, here they come:

I R O N D I S C I P L I N E

Thanks for this wonderful post, Kevin!

Thanked by:
 creekboy 
phl pa. usa

Platform: tos
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 347

so close yet so far away , the great thing about this job is there are a million more chances coming your way ,

:when you cheat -you only cheat yourself
refer to post # 470 & 527 & 930
option traders refer to post 996 thru 1005
Thanked by:
 Brewer20 
Denver, CO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: T4/TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 71
Thanks Received: 93

kevinkdog View Post

Like every other trader out there, occasionally I come across situations where my entry is almost hit, but isn't. Of course, then the market takes off without me. VERY frustrating. Today was such a day.

Missing an entry by a couple of ticks can be psychologically devastating. It makes you think "my system is good - it just needs a little adjustment," or maybe "the logic is sound, maybe I need to add more rules to my plan" or worse yet "how could my system miss such a great trade? I'm ditching it!" Your mind will think of a million ways to make that "nearly a trade" into "definitely a trade." In the end, your brain might actually think that trade WAS in your strategy - you just missed benefiting from it.

"IF that trade had been made, I'd be in good shape for passing the Combine."

Of course, such thinking is dangerous. Just look at the facts - your strategy did not have that trade. Your backtest would not have had that trade. That "trade" wasn't a trade for you. It is nothing to you.

If you change your strategy to include that trade (maybe by entering a few ticks early, as price approaches your entry price), are you going to review your history, and include all other cases just like this? Maybe then your strategy will actually be worse - who knows?

This situation seems to happen to me a lot when I trade with discretion. With automated systems, though, I don't notice it nearly as much. It still happens, I am sure, but since orders and calculations are being done behind the scenes, it is not as apparent to me.

With the Combine strategy, though, I do see these near misses, since I manually enter each order. Today's "almost" trade was a whopper. I missed a great trade by 2 or 3 ticks. I had a limit order to sell short at 1.3100. The high was 1.3098. So, I was 2, probably 3, ticks away from a fill. As I write this, it would have been a $1,000 winner. $&%^#*@# !!!!!!!!

On one hand, this makes me feel really good about the system - it was oh-so-close to getting a great trade. On the other hand, this fills me with disappointment. Not many whopper trades are out there, and my system just missed a great one.

Really, I should feel neither happiness, nor disappointment. I should feel NOTHING, because nothing happened.

The lesson here is DON'T PLAY THE "IF" GAME. As someone once said, "if 'ifs' were fifths, we'd all be drunk!"

Kevin, your discipline is inspiring!

Plan your trade, trade your plan.
Thanked by:
Albnd
Rome, Italy

Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 28

kevinkdog View Post

"IF that trade had been made, I'd be in good shape for passing the Combine."

This situation seems to happen to me a lot when I trade with discretion. With automated systems, though, I don't notice it nearly as much. It still happens, I am sure, but since orders and calculations are being done behind the scenes, it is not as apparent to me.

With the Combine strategy, though, I do see these near misses, since I manually enter each order. Today's "almost" trade was a whopper. I missed a great trade by 2 or 3 ticks. I had a limit order to sell short at 1.3100. The high was 1.3098. So, I was 2, probably 3, ticks away from a fill. As I write this, it would have been a $1,000 winner. $&%^#*@# !!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kevin, especially for your honesty in reporting every single gain/loss exactly as it happened.

Tha "if" game is actually one of the most dangerous we can experience in trading.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

I should point out that I have only mentioned half of the story - what actually happened. It is easy to look at a chart, see where the entry was missed, and wax poetically about what might have been.

BUT, how do we know what would have happened, had I been filled?

I had a limit order to sell short at 1.3100. The high of the day ended up being 1.3098. Maybe, there was a big bank, hedge fund or even central bank trying to keep the price below 1.3100. Possibly they were selling all the way up to 1.3100, to prevent it from ever getting to that point. If it got above 1.3100, maybe they would reverse and go long. Or maybe there were a ton of buyers right above the 1.3100 mark. After all, it is a round number, which many people like.

The fact is we just don't know what would have happened, had the price gone to 1.3100. It might have rocketed to 1.3200 for all we know.

So, what I've found, and what I hope you agree with, is that the sooner I forget about this missed trade, the better. Sure, I can be a little mad about it, a little bummed, but the sooner I let it go, the better off I'll be.

Remember, just stick to the plan!

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

I took no trades today, Thursday. In my late day strategy #3, there was a trade at 3:30 to 4 PM. I missed it, since I was buying my kids some video games. The good news is that it was a small loser, so I avoided making my stats even worse.

Here's the latest graph of "actual" performance and "perfect" performance. "Perfect" performance would be if I got filled on every trade exactly like the Tradestation backtest engine showed.

Thanked by:
Albnd
Rome, Italy

Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 28

kevinkdog View Post
the sooner I forget about this missed trade, the better.

Totally agree! We always need to remember that there's (and there will be always) plenty of opportunities in the market.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Once Again, no trades today, Friday 4/26. Not even close to a trade.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

kevinkdog View Post
I should point out that I have only mentioned half of the story - what actually happened. It is easy to look at a chart, see where the entry was missed, and wax poetically about what might have been.

BUT, how do we know what would have happened, had I been filled?

I had a limit order to sell short at 1.3100. The high of the day ended up being 1.3098. Maybe, there was a big bank, hedge fund or even central bank trying to keep the price below 1.3100. Possibly they were selling all the way up to 1.3100, to prevent it from ever getting to that point. If it got above 1.3100, maybe they would reverse and go long. Or maybe there were a ton of buyers right above the 1.3100 mark. After all, it is a round number, which many people like.

The fact is we just don't know what would have happened, had the price gone to 1.3100. It might have rocketed to 1.3200 for all we know.

So, what I've found, and what I hope you agree with, is that the sooner I forget about this missed trade, the better. Sure, I can be a little mad about it, a little bummed, but the sooner I let it go, the better off I'll be.

Remember, just stick to the plan!

Kevin
A large barrier option was rumored there. If you trade levels it always paid to place limits ahead of any round number or important high or low because there can be some large interest preventing price from touching the level.
All the best. Alex

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts