NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,140 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Search this Thread

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

I am guessing no trades today, so I'll finish the discussion on how I developed my Combine strategy...

part 1 is located here:

part 2 is located here:

part 3 is located here:

Last time I described my primary strategy. I intended for it to be my only strategy for the Combine, but there were a few problems with it:

1. It was profitable, but not profitable enough to pass the 20 day Combine

2. Its winning percentage was below 50%, which would not pass the Combine

3. It would trade less than the required 20 days in the 2 month Combine, so it might not even qualify for review

Since I only had about one and a half weeks left for development, until the Combine start, I decided to create 2 other strategies to trade along with the primary strategy. These strategies would trade at different times than the primary strategy. They would trade overnight, or late afternoon.

The goal in developing these strategies was NOT to maximize profit, but rather to help me meet the 3 shortcomings I had identified above.

I accomplished this by creating 2 unique mean reverting strategies, both of which primarily have small profit targets and larger stop losses. The overnight strategy is the better of the two, with a win rate around 75%. It is also profitable, but the win percentage and the trade frequency are what really make it useful to the Combine.

After a few days of trying some various SIMPLE things, I was able to create these 2 additional strategies (although I was, and still am, worried, that I rushed development a bit too much).

With a few days to spare, I WAS READY TO COMBINE!!!

That wraps up my discussion on my Combine strategies. If you read all 4 posts of this subject in a row, I hope you understand the main point I was trying to get across: you really have to develop a strategy that meets your goals and objectives. This is super important, not just for the Combine, but for any kind of trading you do.

That is why determining your goals and objectives is so important. Without knowing where you want to go, you will really have a tough time getting there!

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Day 11 of the Combine

Late trade with my primary strategy today. Cost me $200 in an hour.

It just got tougher to pass the Combine...

Thanked by:
Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

Just an idea about the winning day %.

On days when you don't have a trade (according to plan), you should still throw in a small trade until you are green for the day. Why? Because that helps with your winning day % statistics. If in the next few days you get a few consecutive losing days, that could mess up your stats. So a day when you could have made a small but winning trade but you decided not to trade is basicly wasted on that parameter....

I know it is not according to your plan, but you do have to trade according to the rules of the Combine, and imagine if you couldn't qualify for the redo, just because 1-2 of your (relatively easily fixed) stats is red....

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Pedro40 View Post
Just an idea about the winning day %.

On days when you don't have a trade (according to plan), you should still throw in a small trade until you are green for the day. Why? Because that helps with your winning day % statistics. If in the next few days you get a few consecutive losing days, that could mess up your stats. So a day when you could have made a small but winning trade but you decided not to trade is basicly wasted on that parameter....

I know it is not according to your plan, but you do have to trade according to the rules of the Combine, and imagine if you couldn't qualify for the redo, just because 1-2 of your (relatively easily fixed) stats is red....

I see and and understand your point. For me, part of this experiment was seeing if I could design a system that meets all the Combine requirements, including winning day %. If it holds true to historical results, the profit should be the tough parameter to meet.

So, I'm inclined to just let it play out as designed, and see what happens.

I have a sneaky suspicion that if I do not pass, there will be more than one criteria I fail.

Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

kevinkdog View Post
I have a sneaky suspicion that if I do not pass, there will be more than one criteria I fail.

For sure. You are allowed to miss 1 parameter.... Mine is usually the average loser being too big...

Thanked by:
chambemk
Boulder, CO/USA

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 5

kevinkdog View Post
I see and and understand your point. For me, part of this experiment was seeing if I could design a system that meets all the Combine requirements, including winning day %. If it holds true to historical results, the profit should be the tough parameter to meet.

So, I'm inclined to just let it play out as designed, and see what happens.

Kevin if you don't pass this combine, do you have any plans to enter another one? I've found the information and processes you are sharing to be very helpful.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

chambemk View Post
Kevin if you don't pass this combine, do you have any plans to enter another one? I've found the information and processes you are sharing to be very helpful.

I'm glad this thread is helping you.

I am unsure if I would do another one. I am currently working on a handful of strategies that could be traded in the Combine, since developing strict intraday systems is something new and challenging for me. Maybe there will be one I like enough to run in a combine.

One thing I would try to do differently is to trade to the "after" combine rules, which includes a weekly stop loss, a 10 day rolling average requirement and a trailing stop requirement. I did not use any of these requirements in my initial design, so if I do pass the Combine, I'm not sure I'd pass the "after" combine anyway.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Pedro40 View Post
For sure. You are allowed to miss 1 parameter.... Mine is usually the average loser being too big...

I'm not sure why that particular metric is important, if all others are met, but I would assume the TST did some sort of statistical analysis of winning traders, and determined that average loser was indeed important.

Good luck with your next one!

chambemk
Boulder, CO/USA

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 5

kevinkdog View Post

One thing I would try to do differently is to trade to the "after" combine rules, which includes a weekly stop loss, a 10 day rolling average requirement and a trailing stop requirement. I did not use any of these requirements in my initial design, so if I do pass the Combine, I'm not sure I'd pass the "after" combine anyway.

I've never seen anything about the 10 day rolling average requirement or the trailing stop requirement. Can you provide a link to where you saw that? thanks.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

chambemk View Post
I've never seen anything about the 10 day rolling average requirement or the trailing stop requirement. Can you provide a link to where you saw that? thanks.

I don't think it was on their site. I think Josh's Combine thread here had some info.

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts