NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 237 posts (640 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 27 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 20 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,097 views
    2. thumb_up 886 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 460 posts
    2. attach_file 138 attachments

Search this Thread

Kevin's TST Combine Journal

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Big Mike View Post
Hmm. My first reaction would be that too much leverage (size) being used to begin with, if you have to make this adjustment after 1 day. Thoughts?

Mike

Relative to the Max Drawdown metric , I would agree with you.

I'll explain how I came up with my initial size.

My initial size of 6 was a calculated risk I took, based on the Profit requirement, Daily Loss Limit and Max Drawdown. Instead of all metrics for the $150K Combine being 5x of the $30K Combine, they are 3x (max DD), 6x (Daily Loss Limit) and 8x (Profit). That means to use my existing strategies (which were designed for the $30K Combine), I had some position sizing decisions to make - and I knew they could backfire on me.

My initial size was 6 contracts. This is based on the higher Daily Loss Limit for the $150K Combine, which is 6X of the previous $30K Combine ($3,000 vs. $500).

The downfall to this logic is that the Max Drawdown for the bigger Combine is only 3X larger, not 6X.

I took all this into account, and determined if the first trade was a loser, I'd have to scale back. Of course that is what happened. So, the next trade will be 3-4 contracts, and if that loses, maybe even smaller size (depending on the next trade's required stop loss).

The plan will be to go back to 6 contracts if/when the overall account gets back to breakeven.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
24 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,532

Fixed fractional?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Big Mike View Post
Fixed fractional?

Mike

It is pretty much as many contracts as I can trade, and still respect the Daily Loss Limit (DLL) and Max Drawdown (MD). I am trying to maximize profit, given the DLL and MD constraints. So it is not a fixed fractional based on account equity, but it is based on DLL and MD.

So, for the first trade, the stop was around $450 per contract (which I assume could hit $500 after slippage). That is also my max stop loss ever on any trade with any of the strategies.

Daily Loss Limit = $3000 divided by stop loss $500 = 3000/500 = 6 contracts (note that this will be the maximum size, regardless of future performance. As long as my stop on a trade is $500 per contract, I can't go above 6 contracts and still meet the DLL rule).

Tomorrow, the max Drawdown will be the limiting factor, since I have $2500 left. If I allow a $1500 loss fo the next trading day, that will still leave me $1000 cushion.

So, 1500 / 500 = 3 contracts for the next trading day.

If I lose the next trading day, I will go down to 1 or 2 contracts. If I win, depending on the winning trade amount, I will attempt to increase my size the next day.

I typed this fast, so if it is unclear, please feel free to question my logic. It is tailored to the Combine requirements, and that makes it a bit strange.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

One medium size loser today...

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Back about a week ago, I wrote this:

Right now, things are going better than expected. Long term, performance should revert to the average line. So, I consider the current performance a "hot streak" that will not last.

And that, my friends, is precisely what happened in the past 3 trading days (including today). The 3 strategies are reverting back to the mean.

Normally, this would not be a problem. It happens, and I fully expected it.

BUT, it just so happens that I started the Combine #2 right at the peak, and it has been nothing but losers ever since!

If I was a discretionary trader, I'd be convinced there was something wrong with me - that the Combine was messing with my brain and impacting my trading:

A. Trade Combine #1, barely break even. Everyone can see the reports.
B. After Combine #1, my performance took off. I'm trading great! No reports, so only I know the results.
C. Combine #2 starts, trading is awful. Everyone can see the results.

That sure makes it seem like the results are due to me. Or that I am cheating. I know that is what I would think if I saw someone else post it ("Sure buddy, it is just coincidence that you trade great when no one is watching, but when your results are tracked by a 3rd party, your equity curve just goes down. Sure, just coincidence...").

But, since I am trading mechanical signals here, I can assure you the results are 100% legit. It is just some incredibly bad timing...

gulabv 
Dallas, TX

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: ZN, 6E
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 169

Love reading this thread and your experience in the combine.
Keep it up!

Thanked by:
 tihfa 
detroit, mi

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: SPY
Thanks Given: 1,524
Thanks Received: 80

kevinkdog View Post
The 3 strategies are reverting back to the mean.

Normally, this would not be a problem. It happens, and I fully expected it.

BUT, it just so happens that I started the Combine #2 right at the peak, and it has been nothing but losers ever since!

But, since I am trading mechanical signals here, I can assure you the results are 100% legit. It is just some incredibly bad timing...

Kevin,

thanks for the journal. Very encouraging to see mechanical system in the making, hopefully gets me going too.

I've been sort of developing a mechanical trading system and have been studing the anatomy of losing streaks through lower time frames. I guess I am trying to ask if you have done such a study in a way that you could reduce or eliminate your losing streak and/or turn the losing streak more into a flat line in your equity curve rather than a steep drawdown?

Regards,
Tihfa

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

tihfa View Post
Kevin,

thanks for the journal. Very encouraging to see mechanical system in the making, hopefully gets me going too.

I've been sort of developing a mechanical trading system and have been studing the anatomy of losing streaks through lower time frames. I guess I am trying to ask if you have done such a study in a way that you could reduce or eliminate your losing streak and/or turn the losing streak more into a flat line in your equity curve rather than a steep drawdown?

Regards,
Tihfa

Thanks for the comment.

Here is my opinion on your question (please realize others may have valid opposing viewpoints)...

When you create a system, look at the equity curve, and then spend a lot of time trying to improve the weak spots (drawdown periods, flat periods, etc), you are starting to descend a slippery slope. By that I mean it is fairly easy to make backtests better, but it comes at a cost - more rules, more parameters, more filters, etc.

What makes you think those additional rules will work in real time? They may, or they may not. But your mind will think there will be an improvement, since your backtest is much improved. This can trick you into thinking you have something "better" when in all likelihood you really have something that probably is worse.

It is also a slippery slope because once you do it the first time, now another part of the equity curve will look poor. Do you try to fix that, too? How many times do you repeat this process? Done enough times, you'll have a great looking backtest, but when you go to real time, the system will probably fall apart.

My general experience is that you can make adjustments like this 1 or 2 times to a strategy, as long as you leave plenty of data out of sample. Beyond that, it is probably better to just drop the strategy.

Just be very careful.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,337
Thanks Received: 26,267

kevinkdog View Post
My general experience is that you can make adjustments like this 1 or 2 times to a strategy, as long as you leave plenty of data out of sample. Beyond that, it is probably better to just drop the strategy.

Just be very careful.

This doesn't only apply to an automated strategy; a fully discretionary trader has exactly the same issues, just expressed a little differently.

Say you are looking at patterns, or trendlines, or levels, or some signal, anything that you look at over time to decide whether they are "reliable" -- you've got exactly the same situation. If you fine-tune to the past, you only know for sure that it "would have worked" during that period, not so much about any other time (like your next trade.)

So you hope you find something that is general enough that it applies to the market all the time; you have better odds of that, the simpler it is and the less tinkering you've done....

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,532

And this is exactly why traders that seek algorithmic trading as a way to solve their own shortcomings on psychology or lack of understanding in the market will still fail.

They think they can program their way out of their deficiencies, but your post #315 shows a good example of how discretion is still the #1 rule in the game. And that means you have to actually be good at it.

Trade first, program later. That's my recommendation for all. Once you are a consistently profitable trader, then you can start to program strategies.

BTW Kevin, none of this is aimed at you which is why I didn't quote your post. I am just speaking in generalities.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 26, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts