NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Jigsaw Trading's Peter Davies - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 176 posts (350 thanks)
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 38 posts (39 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 31 posts (120 thanks)
    4. looks_4 paps with 29 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blash with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jigsaw Trading with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 matthew28 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 319,170 views
    2. thumb_up 840 thanks given
    3. group 373 followers
    1. forum 731 posts
    2. attach_file 91 attachments

Jigsaw Trading's Peter Davies - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

jerbersoft 
Manila, Philippines

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG,Bookmap,Sierra Chart
Broker: CQG
Trading: BUND
Thanks Given: 47
Thanks Received: 26

hey Pete, don't know if this was answered already before. will our existing Jigsaw Trading tools be compatible with the new Ninja Trader 8? Thanks.

"You are only as good as the decisions you make."
Follow me on Twitter

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

pipandrun 
Cologne, Germany
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,154
Thanks Received: 1,215

@ DionysusToast

The sell off yesterday after the US opening, was this visible somehow in the order flow? Is there in situation like this a kind of "announcement" in the order book visible or recognizable? Probably during the sell off, but before it happens "signs" would be exciting....Thanks!

Waiting, Discipline and Patience Pays!
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

RichardHK 
Hong Kong

Platform: NinjaTrader, TWS
Broker: IB/Kinetick
Thanks Given: 132
Thanks Received: 340

pipandrun View Post
@ DionysusToast

The sell off yesterday after the US opening, was this visible somehow in the order flow? Is there in situation like this a kind of "announcement" in the order book visible or recognizable? Probably during the sell off, but before it happens "signs" would be exciting....Thanks!

This is an excellent question for DT Pete. I too am looking deeply into this exact issue and have videoed the Market Replay of that sell-off, along with several other similar events recently (would be better live of course). Seems algos are employing shock tactics to throw us 'slow humans' off long enough to get price down before us 'humans' are sucked in to sell into the same algos buying contracts back! With the Jigsaw tools we ought to be in much earlier.

My focus has been on looking at the momentum on the D&S as noted by DT Pete in his webinars, but that can be so wild and intimidating. Now taking a closer look at the Summary tape which shows incredible bursts of activity at each price level that can easily be missed or misinterpreted on the D&S.

Look forward to DT Pete's comment on this topic. Gonna be crucial going forward I feel. And once we nail what is happening it will no doubt change.

Richard
Hong Kong
Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

pipandrun View Post
@ DionysusToast

Your question sounds a bit like can we predict such a reaction ahead of time? The best you can do is to form an appreciation of the situation along these lines ( dts-pre-market-prep) and try to seize an opportunity when it presents itself around key areas. As can be seen in the commentary, the old breakout point at 1947.50 was a key area.

Here was my analysis of the situation. The location of supply along with the bearish channel was favoring a short at the open. I don't think you can do much more than that in terms of expectation given the context.

P.S. this chart shows the PA of the ES but using a CFD contract so the levels may differ a little bit but the overall picture is about the same.

Thanked by:

RichardHK 
Hong Kong

Platform: NinjaTrader, TWS
Broker: IB/Kinetick
Thanks Given: 132
Thanks Received: 340

trendisyourfriend View Post
... ...Here was my analysis of the situation. The location of supply along with the bearish channel was favoring a short at the open. I don't think you can do much more than that in terms of expectation given the context....

Good points and you are right to say we must keep our eye on the overall market profile and other clues. From pure price action the opening last Thursday was certainly a swing sell based on Wednesday's closing action (wedge top).

But original query is still valid in that how do we best use order flow to validate high momentum breakouts as these can happen, and have been recently, at any time of day. Order flow is short term, sure, but do the Jigsaw tools show when we should be joining a breakout rather than waiting too long. Holy grail stuff perhaps but worth asking DT how he handles these flash events. Especially at the open when many big orders being placed may have no relation to profile or PA.

Richard
Hong Kong

pipandrun 
Cologne, Germany
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Thanks Given: 2,154
Thanks Received: 1,215

RichardHK View Post

But original query is still valid in that how do we best use order flow to validate high momentum breakouts as these can happen, and have been recently, at any time of day. Order flow is short term, sure, but do the Jigsaw tools show when we should be joining a breakout rather than waiting too long. Holy grail stuff perhaps but worth asking DT how he handles these flash events. Especially at the open when many big orders being placed may have no relation to profile or PA.

in addition to this a quote from jigsaw´s page:

"The bottom line is this: A change in order flow comes BEFORE a change in price."

It would be nice if one could see this i.e. at the mentioned situation or should i bring it to the point: are the jigsaw tools another interesting instrument, which show "only", what should i have done in hindsight? (i admit i´m still working through all the videos and essays, so i´m not completly informed...sorry for my early question about this)

Waiting, Discipline and Patience Pays!

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,328
Thanks Received: 2,743

pipandrun View Post
@ DionysusToast

I don't use JigSaw Tools but you can see from the charts below the trend was in before the open.
It was very evident from the orderflow/tape that sellers were in control of the direction.

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

haljordan View Post
Hi Pete,

I just purchased the jigsaw tools, but i have been eyeing them for quite sometime. I had a quick question for you. I am currently using the S5 trader (oec trader) along with Jigsaw. But i am trying to find a way to get the volume profile on jigsaw to reset at the start of the trading session, that is 9:30 AM EST. I have the option checked "Reset at start of new session. but it does not do that.

The chart where the indicator is attached, I have three options for sessions. 24HR, Contract Setup, and Custom. If i keep the custom option with times 9:30-4:00, i am not going to get after hours information?

any advice on this? I appreciate your time.

Thanks in advance.

Right now OEC Trader only "knows" about the Globex Session, so there's no new session at 9:30am. We use the sessions boundaries of the platform and so there's no way to do this right now.

This is being worked on for the next major release though.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread

jerbersoft View Post
hey Pete, don't know if this was answered already before. will our existing Jigsaw Trading tools be compatible with the new Ninja Trader 8? Thanks.

Simple answer is "I don't know".

We may need to make changes, we might not - until we get our hands on a copy of NinjaTrader 8 ourselves, we can only speculate.

Our plan is to support it though. We just don't know if that will involve many changes.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Thanked by:

pipandrun View Post
@ DionysusToast

Great question but I was out with my in-laws on Thursday.

I did try to download replay data for Thursday but I'm having no luck with it. Let me try again during US hours because the replay server might need a "nudge".

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 13, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts