NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 180 posts (416 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 23 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Mabi with 17 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluefightingcat with 16 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one grausch with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 170,385 views
    2. thumb_up 649 thanks given
    3. group 111 followers
    1. forum 433 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Silent warrior View Post
Hey Kevin!

How do you determine the Maximum Favorable Excursion/Maximum Adverse Excursion for any given signal during a back test? Trying to determine stop/target size to maximize expectancy.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Most platforms include that in the backtest report.

But be careful with what you are using it for - if you use those values, and then pick your stops/targets for those same trades based on what you calculated, your results will be biased - meaning that in the future those values will not perform nearly as well...

Follow me on Twitter

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

Mabi 
sweden

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader,MetaTrader
Trading: futures, FX
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 136

Silent warrior View Post
Hey Kevin!

How do you determine the Maximum Favorable Excursion/Maximum Adverse Excursion for any given signal during a back test? Trying to determine stop/target size to maximize expectancy.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

If you have a portfolio of strategies it can be a good tool using MAE to find out intraday equity drawdowns for your portfolio which can be higher then the closed drawdown. There is some portfolio analyzer programs that can do this by loading 1 minute data for the instruments involved in the analyze.

bluefightingcat 
Espoo Finland

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingBlox, Tradestation
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 10

Do you have some advice on how to find out which parameters have the most effect on the success of a system? In optimization and walk forward it is not always realistic to test the entire parameter space, so sometimes I find myself having trouble thinking about which parameters I should adjust in optimization/WF and which I should just leave alone. Do you have any tips on what the best way to identify which parameters should be adjusted and which not?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

bluefightingcat View Post
Do you have some advice on how to find out which parameters have the most effect on the success of a system? In optimization and walk forward it is not always realistic to test the entire parameter space, so sometimes I find myself having trouble thinking about which parameters I should adjust in optimization/WF and which I should just leave alone. Do you have any tips on what the best way to identify which parameters should be adjusted and which not?

There are a couple of tricks I use to help narrow down parameters and ranges. The first thing is that in my experience if you have a lot of parameters to start, your system is too complicated. So really before you get to that point, you should simplify your system.

But let's say you have done that as much as possible - then what? I usually will optimize each parameter by itself on a small piece of data, and see what its impact on performance is. After I do this with all parameters, I have a good idea which ones are driving the strategy, and which ones that are not. Then I usually fix or eliminate the ones that are not that important.

Hope this helps!

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

bluefightingcat 
Espoo Finland

kevinkdog View Post
There are a couple of tricks I use to help narrow down parameters and ranges. The first thing is that in my experience if you have a lot of parameters to start, your system is too complicated. So really before you get to that point, you should simplify your system.

But let's say you have done that as much as possible - then what? I usually will optimize each parameter by itself on a small piece of data, and see what its impact on performance is. After I do this with all parameters, I have a good idea which ones are driving the strategy, and which ones that are not. Then I usually fix or eliminate the ones that are not that important.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! What about if the parameters are dependent on each other? Changing one parameter at a time will still affect the other if there is some sort of correlation between the two.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks! What about if the parameters are dependent on each other? Changing one parameter at a time will still affect the other if there is some sort of correlation between the two.

You could test them both at the same time. I usually see the second order effects like this to be be a smaller driver than the variable by itself (first order effect).

In doing this, I am guided by trying to simplify the strategy. And unfortunately, sometimes simplifying means you have to give up certain things (like maybe the situation you suggest). But for me, simple rules over everything...

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

bluefightingcat 
Espoo Finland

I have a new strategy I am developing but unfortunately it does not produce a huge number of trades. I am on the verge of rejecting it but I thought before I do so, get your thoughts on it. This is for 15 minute futures.

The backtest has 7 years of data. The best optimization so far produces 83 trades during that time. So about 10 trades a year. However each trade produces an average profit of about $350 per contract and that includes slippage and commissions. It has a 75% win rate. So far the strategy only has 1 entry rule and 1 exit rule and a total of 4 parameters. 2 for each rule.

Would you considering exploring this further?

choke35 
Germany

Platform: Other
Trading: ES, YM, 6E
Thanks Given: 5,101
Thanks Received: 6,558

I have a new strategy I am developing but unfortunately it does not produce a huge number of trades. I am on the verge of rejecting it but I thought before I do so, get your thoughts on it. This is for 15 minute futures.

The backtest has 7 years of data. The best optimization so far produces 83 trades during that time. So about 10 trades a year. However each trade produces an average profit of about $350 per contract and that includes slippage and commissions. It has a 75% win rate. So far the strategy only has 1 entry rule and 1 exit rule and a total of 4 parameters. 2 for each rule.

The critical point is gauging the degree of overfitting.
E.g.: If your 7 in-sample years are all within the current 2009-2017 uptrend in the indices,
the system could be next to worthless even with a small set of parameters.

So what are the results of the out-of-sample tests?

If the out-of-sample results are as good and the same system performs
  • on several futures of different categories
  • on different intraday time frames
I'd explore it further.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

I have similar metrics for a few strategies. If your results are all out of sample or from walkforward, I would put more faith in them. It would obviously be nicer to see more trades.

The bigger question to me is not WHAT the results were but HOW you developed the strategy. Most people don't realize that the HOW is the big deal. For example, if your results are all walkforward, and from your first attempt at creating the strategy, I'd say "great!" But, what if the results you showed are after 6 months of work, where you ran dozens of variations before settling on this one? Then, I'd say "not so great."

Here is an example of a strategy that I trade live. It has 2 parameters to optimize, and I have been trading it live for a few years. But look at the low number of trades - originally that caused me to sit on the strategy and watch it live for a few years before putting real money behind it. But real time performance has shown that this strategy is pretty good.

Hope this helps!

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

bluefightingcat 
Espoo Finland

kevinkdog View Post
I have similar metrics for a few strategies. If your results are all out of sample or from walkforward, I would put more faith in them. It would obviously be nicer to see more trades.

The bigger question to me is not WHAT the results were but HOW you developed the strategy. Most people don't realize that the HOW is the big deal. For example, if your results are all walkforward, and from your first attempt at creating the strategy, I'd say "great!" But, what if the results you showed are after 6 months of work, where you ran dozens of variations before settling on this one? Then, I'd say "not so great."

Here is an example of a strategy that I trade live. It has 2 parameters to optimize, and I have been trading it live for a few years. But look at the low number of trades - originally that caused me to sit on the strategy and watch it live for a few years before putting real money behind it. But real time performance has shown that this strategy is pretty good.

Hope this helps!

Thanks that is helpful indeed.

Last Updated on July 5, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts