NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 180 posts (416 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 23 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Mabi with 17 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluefightingcat with 16 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one grausch with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 173,611 views
    2. thumb_up 649 thanks given
    3. group 111 followers
    1. forum 433 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

rleplae 
Gits (Hooglede) Belgium
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader, Proprietary,
Broker: Ninjabrokerage/IQfeed + Synthetic datafeed
Trading: 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, 6J, 6S, ES, NQ, YM, AEX, CL, NG, ZB, ZN, ZC, ZS, GC
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 5,863

Hi Kevin

I have a question :

What is in your opinion the best order platform, with that i mean, i have a stand-alone bot, it takes in data-feed, does all the calculations and generates and manages the trades.

I build this stand-alone, to have structured code, compared to many different indicators (this has a significant development price). But i control it from end-2-end, which is an advantage.

Today i inject orders into NinjaTrader, but the ATI api is kind of limited in my opinion, if you touch the orders in chart trader, through the API you are blind. I can work around going to the sdf database, but that is not officially supported. The hole setup is also not 'rock solid' as NinjaTrader has it's own character and crashes from time to time especially if the markets are busy and you 'poke' to frequent through the ATI. The nice thing is that i can connect to a big series of brokers without extra effort.

Now my question, is there a better solution for broker abstraction, that allows better control over the order life cycle ?

Thanks,
Ron

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
14 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,356

rleplae View Post
Hi Kevin

I have a question :

What is in your opinion the best order platform, with that i mean, i have a stand-alone bot, it takes in data-feed, does all the calculations and generates and manages the trades.

I build this stand-alone, to have structured code, compared to many different indicators (this has a significant development price). But i control it from end-2-end, which is an advantage.

Today i inject orders into NinjaTrader, but the ATI api is kind of limited in my opinion, if you touch the orders in chart trader, through the API you are blind. I can work around going to the sdf database, but that is not officially supported. The hole setup is also not 'rock solid' as NinjaTrader has it's own character and crashes from time to time especially if the markets are busy and you 'poke' to frequent through the ATI. The nice thing is that i can connect to a big series of brokers without extra effort.

Now my question, is there a better solution for broker abstraction, that allows better control over the order life cycle ?

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron -

The level of depth you seek is out of my league - way beyond my knowledge base. I have been running Tradestation automated for years, and never really searched for an alternative (I have not seen a pressing need to). I have a pretty solid backup plan in place if Tradestation brokerage and/or platform suddenly goes away, but it is nowhere near what you have done.

Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you.

Kevin

Follow me on Twitter

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

@rleplae Have you looked at Trading Technologies XTAPI? I have no personal experience but I gather it's top notch. Not as cheap as NT or Tradestation though.

Thanked by:

rleplae 
Gits (Hooglede) Belgium
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader, Proprietary,
Broker: Ninjabrokerage/IQfeed + Synthetic datafeed
Trading: 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, 6J, 6S, ES, NQ, YM, AEX, CL, NG, ZB, ZN, ZC, ZS, GC
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 5,863

SMCJB View Post
@rleplae Have you looked at Trading Technologies XTAPI? I have no personal experience but I gather it's top notch. Not as cheap as NT or Tradestation though.

vaguely, any clue on the pricing ?

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
 fiverr 
Calgary

Experience: None
Platform: TradeStation, MT4
Trading: ES, Stocks
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 11

Kevin,

What is your take on Walk Forward Optimization? Are you for rolling forward testing or anchored WFO?

BTW, I have come across several PhDs who believes that WFO is curve fitting at its best.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

fiverr View Post
Kevin,

What is your take on Walk Forward Optimization? Are you for rolling forward testing or anchored WFO?

BTW, I have come across several PhDs who believes that WFO is curve fitting at its best.

I use walkforward optimization on almost all my strategies. I usually use rolling forward walkforward. For certain fitness functions, anchored WF is more appropriate.

Are the PhDs traders?

Walkforward can be curve fit, if you do it incorrectly.

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:
 fiverr 
Calgary

Kevin,

I understand that you use Stratopt for WFO and WFP. Have you used Diamond Backtesting with Walk Forward Manager (BTWFMgr) by profsoftware? It will be interesting if you can create another video comparing Stratopt and BTWFMgr.

fiverr 
Calgary

kevinkdog View Post
For certain fitness functions, anchored WF is more appropriate. Walkforward can be curve fit, if you do it incorrectly.

Kevin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Can you elaborate more on anchored WF and also how Walkforward can be curve fitted?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

fiverr View Post
Kevin,

I understand that you use Stratopt for WFO and WFP. Have you used Diamond Backtesting with Walk Forward Manager (BTWFMgr) by profsoftware? It will be interesting if you can create another video comparing Stratopt and BTWFMgr.

Never used Diamond. No plans to use it at this point.

Follow me on Twitter
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

fiverr View Post
Kevin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Can you elaborate more on anchored WF and also how Walkforward can be curve fitted?

Anchored vs. Unanchored

Unanchored wf might not be correct, if you use a fitness function like drawdown - depending how your walkforward software calculates it. It is hard to explain, since it depends on the particular software. Example why this MIGHT matter:

Date1: Jan 1, 2000 Net Profit = XXXNP, Max drawdown= XXXDD
Date2: Jan 1, 2010 Net Profit = YYYNP, Max drawdown= YYYDD

Net Profit, from Date1 to Date2 = YYYNP - XXXNP
Max Drawdown though is not YYYDD-XXXDD

Curve Fitting Walkforward

2 examples:

A. You run walkforward, get results and then think "I can improve that with a filter" and you do this say 4 or 5 times. Everything improves and you know you've made out of sample walkforward results better. Problem is your walkforward is not really out of sample anymore - it is some conglomeration of out of sample and curve fitted results.

B. You pick 10 combinations of IN/OUT to do your walkforward. You pick the best one to use going forward.

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 5, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts