NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 180 posts (416 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 23 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Mabi with 17 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluefightingcat with 16 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one grausch with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 170,564 views
    2. thumb_up 649 thanks given
    3. group 111 followers
    1. forum 433 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

FABRICATORX View Post
Thank you Kevin @kevinkdog for your time.

I am very novice. I have a managed acct with an algo trader (5 years now), and have been interested for some time. Now I have the career that gives me the time to make this a hobby. The owner of the algo shop has been a mentor for me, so while my learning has been very succinct (cutting out BS) I am still in the early stages.

I have a background in cognitive psychology (hobby, not professionally) and know that we can't be trusted to be consistent, so algo has been my focus.

I'm in the reading phase, and have been devouring your blog and others. I have most of the books you mentioned on your site on my list, but haven't pulled the trigger on yours yet. Those 1 star reviews have quite the effect, being that we're innately risk averse lol. After speaking with you, however, I will download soon.

I will look at the SF program in the next year.

Thanks for being awesome. You're a family man and I'm proud of you for keeping your family in focus. Good work

Thanks for the kind words. If you are happy with the managed acct, and the person running it wants to be your mentor, I would pursue that route big time. Nothing beats someone to guide you through the trading morass...

On another note, glad you decided to ignore the few 1 star reviews of my book. There are people out there who would give 1 star to a book that had $50 bills in between each page. These folks probably also give 1 stars to folks like Pardo and Kauffman, and those guys are legends...

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

DarkPoolTrading   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,244
Thanks Received: 1,326

kevinkdog View Post
On another note, glad you decided to ignore the few 1 star reviews of my book. There are people out there who would give 1 star to a book that had $50 bills in between each page. These folks probably also give 1 stars to folks like Pardo and Kauffman, and those guys are legends...

I can certainly attest to Kevin's book being excellent. I purchased it two weeks ago and finished it in one weekend, I just didn't want to put it down (while taking lots of notes). I will certainly read it again sometime.

The only thing I disagree with is Monte Carlo analysis. However that has nothing to do with the quality of Kevin's book. It is just me not agreeing with the value of Monte Carlo. Kevin, i've been meaning to pop you a pm sometime to hear your thoughts on why I do not think it has any real value. I would like to hear your take after hearing my reasoning.

kevinkdog View Post
By the way, if you order my book, shoot me an e-mail with the order confirmation. I'll give you 5 bonus reports free, as part of the 1st anniversary of the book release.

Kevin, does this just apply to new purchases going forward,...or could I shoot you an email with my order confirmation from a couple weeks ago?

Diversification is the only free lunch
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

DarkPoolTrading View Post
I can certainly attest to Kevin's book being excellent. I purchased it two weeks ago and finished it in one weekend, I just didn't want to put it down (while taking lots of notes). I will certainly read it again sometime.

The only thing I disagree with is Monte Carlo analysis. However that has nothing to do with the quality of Kevin's book. It is just me not agreeing with the value of Monte Carlo. Kevin, i've been meaning to pop you a pm sometime to hear your thoughts on why I do not think it has any real value. I would like to hear your take after hearing my reasoning.

Kevin, does this just apply to new purchases going forward,...or could I shoot you an email with my order confirmation from a couple weeks ago?

Check your PM.

Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT7
Broker: IB, Tallinex, & 10 others.
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 697
Thanks Received: 165

DarkPoolTrading View Post

@DarkPoolTrading I'm also curious on your take on Monte Carlo Sim. As we know, the pragmatic approach is to view one concept from multiple very different viewpoints.

Perhaps another thread where it can be debated? @kevinkdog

-Jimmy
haraj
NGP MS India

Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 2

hi kevin!

i am using ur monte carlo sheet. Thanks for it.

have some query on the same.

do monte carlo sim results fools us? or backtesting.

i did backtesting with few years data, hiding some data , did monte carlo but results where bad.

incubation was best but when i repeated the process with walk forward,incubation and again back testing with unseen data it was good but not in monte carlo.

only one positives i found with monte carlo,it can predict or advice best capital amt to be employed with less ruin and dd.

which data is correct which is fooling us?

thanks

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

haraj View Post
hi kevin!

i am using ur monte carlo sheet. Thanks for it.

have some query on the same.

do monte carlo sim results fools us? or backtesting.

i did backtesting with few years data, hiding some data , did monte carlo but results where bad.

incubation was best but when i repeated the process with walk forward,incubation and again back testing with unseen data it was good but not in monte carlo.

only one positives i found with monte carlo,it can predict or advice best capital amt to be employed with less ruin and dd.

which data is correct which is fooling us?

thanks

If you build your system incorrectly, and use data from it in Monte Carlo, then the results will be bogus.

If you build your system correctly, especially with walkforward analysis (again, done correctly), then my experience is that Monte Carlo can be a big benefit.

But if you believe your results are suspect before MC, I certainly would not use them.

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:
haraj
NGP MS India

Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 2

kevinkdog View Post
If you build your system incorrectly, and use data from it in Monte Carlo, then the results will be bogus.

If you build your system correctly, especially with walk forward analysis (again, done correctly), then my experience is that Monte Carlo can be a big benefit.

But if you believe your results are suspect before MC, I certainly would not use them.

thanks kevin!

i mean i am working on strategy, its complete visual with no programming.. i did paper trade , simulation trades and is in incubation period. I have incubation data of 3 years with different market sentiments

can i directly use data from incubation to monte carlo sim!

infact i tried and results are amazing.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

haraj View Post
thanks kevin!

i mean i am working on strategy, its complete visual with no programming.. i did paper trade , simulation trades and is in incubation period. I have incubation data of 3 years with different market sentiments

can i directly use data from incubation to monte carlo sim!

infact i tried and results are amazing.

I would say 3 years is not enough data for MC simulation, but then again, I don;t use incubation data when I run the MC (I use walkforward out of sample results). Although after having 3 years of incubation data, do you really need more confirmation of your system's performance? How much more incubation data do you need?

Follow me on Twitter
 Aufidius 
Seattle,WA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader , Multicharts and my own system
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 459

In your book you mention testing a strategy on 10 minute bars and then varying the test by 1 minute to see how it changes the performance of the system. How do you decide how much of a performance decrease is acceptable when changing the bar timeframe by 1 minute? For example if a strategy makes 200% profit but drops to 50% would you still feel it is ok to trade?

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Aufidius View Post
In your book you mention testing a strategy on 10 minute bars and then varying the test by 1 minute to see how it changes the performance of the system. How do you decide how much of a performance decrease is acceptable when changing the bar timeframe by 1 minute? For example if a strategy makes 200% profit but drops to 50% would you still feel it is ok to trade?

Thanks for the question. I still do this kind of testing on occasion, but nowadays I don't normally do it as part of my development process. Why not? Well, I guess I have seen too many times where a 10 minute bar creates a great strategy, but a 9 minute or even 11 minute doesn't. I have concluded that some of that performance difference could be real, since many more people are using 10 minute charts to be entering and exiting, and my strategy may have caught some of that actual price behavior.

So, I guess I am saying I would not be turned off any longer by the case you present. I would likely still find it acceptable.

What I would not do is try the system with 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 minute bars, and then pick the best one overall. I think that is bad optimizing.

Hope this helps!

Follow me on Twitter

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 5, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts