NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 180 posts (416 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 23 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Mabi with 17 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluefightingcat with 16 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one grausch with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 170,385 views
    2. thumb_up 649 thanks given
    3. group 111 followers
    1. forum 433 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

ElChacal 
Houston, TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader TWS Barchart
Broker: IB / IB
Trading: SPY, QQQ
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 278

grausch View Post
You never really get rid of that even if you trade systematically...you can however make peace with it and accept it as part of business. Not watching the screen like a hawk tends to help with that specific issue.

Man you just described my entire week. LOL

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

grausch 
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 1,731
Thanks Received: 1,159

ElChacal View Post
Man you just described my entire week. LOL

Wish I could say that I was any different...

Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

grausch View Post
You never really get rid of that even if you trade systematically...you can however make peace with it and accept it as part of business. Not watching the screen like a hawk tends to help with that specific issue.

Yes, people tend to think "oh, I'll just trade systematically, and then my emotions will be under control." I thought that too.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Emotions are still there, but they just manifest in different ways.

Maybe my experience will help...

I used to chart my equity every day. As you can imagine, all the ups and downs (thankfully more ups) made me crazy. So, the last few years, I have charted my equity only on a weekly basis. I'll admit sometimes I cheat and still calculate daily equity, but many days I only have a vague sense if I made money or lost money.

The cool thing about this is my focus is different now: not "am I making money?" but "am I trading correctly?" I can't control the money making part, but I can control the doing things correctly part, and by focusing on what I can actually influence I find myself a lot calmer and more in charge of things with this approach.

Follow me on Twitter

grausch 
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 1,731
Thanks Received: 1,159

Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback.

I still view my P&L daily, but I really should only focus on the charts and the trades. I find that seeing the big red / green block in Interactive Brokers with my daily P&L more of a hindrance than a help.

If I just focus on my excel sheets which track my performance, I just see a % move for the month and I just feel a lot better about my trading. As long as it is positive, I don't care too much about it. Once it gets negative, I scale back my trades and once it reaches -2%, I trade tiny size (less than 1% of my portfolio invested in a stock - total exposure < 10%). At that point it is all about feeling out the market and getting my rhythm back.

However, I never found a way to effectively implement that type of position sizing in my long term systems. Seemed like they caught all the really good trades on reduced size and all the bad trades on normal size.

Thanked by:

montanajtt 
Como, Italy

Platform: Tradestation, IB
Broker: Tradestation, IB
Trading: ES
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 299
Thanks Received: 312

kevinkdog View Post
Yes, people tend to think "oh, I'll just trade systematically, and then my emotions will be under control." I thought that too.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Emotions are still there, but they just manifest in different ways.

Well, I think quant trading can be much more stressing then discretionary, the only sure thing is that nothing works forever and nobody knows when that time will come for a strategy. So this add much stress, if something is performing good you expect a drawdown and if it's performing bad you start think it is broken.
The only cure is diversification, I've read in the option selling thread you have 78 strategies running. I'm very very far to be such diversified but I agree with your point. Also diversification has a cost and I think it is useful to have a yearly budget for R/D that do not impact to your performance too much.

Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Platform: NT7
Broker: IB, Tallinex, & 10 others.
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 697
Thanks Received: 165

Kevin, I don't recall if this was discussed in your book.

What are the primary differences between your personal strategies, and a strategy used for World Cup trading?

Would you say they have a higher risk % and higher risk of ruin? Are they something you throw out there and say "well it will either blow up, or win 1st place".

-Jimmy

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

FABRICATORX View Post
Kevin, I don't recall if this was discussed in your book.

What are the primary differences between your personal strategies, and a strategy used for World Cup trading?

Would you say they have a higher risk % and higher risk of ruin? Are they something you throw out there and say "well it will either blow up, or win 1st place".

They were the same strategies that I would use in "normal" trading, but with greatly reduced initial capital.

So, when I won the World Cup, I had a strategies trading 6-10 different markets. A prudent trader would have been trading such a setup with probably $30-45K. I started with $15K. Thus, my returns (and drawdowns) were probably double or more of a typical account.

The big thing to me was I had a goal (>100% return in a year), and I had to get a trading setup (strategies, account size, position sizing) in place to meet that goal. That to me was the most important part - starting with a goal.

Follow me on Twitter

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Dude, the Return/DD ratio is life changing for systems development.

I was plugging away in excel, using your freemc spreadsheet, when I realized the significance of what that means.

Now I have some systems with a Ret/DD over 35.

Maximum attack with minimal pucker.

Thanks dude,

-Jimmy

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

FABRICATORX View Post
Dude, the Return/DD ratio is life changing for systems development.

I was plugging away in excel, using your freemc spreadsheet, when I realized the significance of what that means.

Now I have some systems with a Ret/DD over 35.

Maximum attack with minimal pucker.

Thanks dude,

Over 35? WOW. I usually am happy with ratio over 2.0

Follow me on Twitter

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Dude the long-term timeframes are sooooo much better.

In theory, short term timeframes provide higher equity resolution, but I get absolutely hammered in them.

My goal was 1.5:1 lol

-Jimmy

Last Updated on July 5, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts