NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

AMA: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) / Morad Askar - Ask Me Anything

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one FuturesTrader71 with 200 posts (684 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 125 posts (476 thanks)
    3. looks_3 josh with 12 posts (31 thanks)
    4. looks_4 arnie with 10 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Yukoner with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 FuturesTrader71 with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 335,734 views
    2. thumb_up 1,498 thanks given
    3. group 469 followers
    1. forum 637 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

AMA: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) / Morad Askar - Ask Me Anything

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,513

Big Mike View Post
Master Homework thread I mentioned a few times, is a goldmine of info

Mike

Pretty cool.

See this is what makes Big Mike's different than other forums. I have been emphasizing homework heavily since I came online in 2009 to talk openly about trading with the public. Folks cite things like 10-handle rule and 80% rule but they have no clue what context, assumptions and parameters were used for the results. If you are not looking at market data and then dissecting it on your own, then you are at the mercy of the next guru that comes along. This is what we do best at Stage 5 Trading. We want to look at the market in terms of probabilities. This makes it ok to take losses when they come and keeps us open to whatever happens.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

FuturesTrader71 

bob314159 View Post
From the FT&71's AMA webinar today:
2013-03-19_0932 - bob314159's library

What is the red/yellow indicator?

The red/yellow measures rotations and is tied to an audible alarm when the rotation value crosses the horizontal red lines.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread

FuturesTrader71 

Big Mike View Post
@FuturesTrader71,

Do you take positions prior to major news, and hold until after the release?

Mike

If I'm in a position and it is beyond 1 harmonic rotation, then I use a hard stop and will hold through. Caution though! There is a risk to doing this in that the market might trade through your stop.

FuturesTrader71 

Big Mike View Post
@FuturesTrader71,

I've heard you say you are looking only for 2 points on ES. Now obviously that is irrespective of size, but are you saying you trade to a daily goal and then stop once reached?

Mike

In some circumstances where a trader has little confidence or emotional capital, I have recommended a daily target to build on. However, I don't stop. Every trade has some edge and I will trade as many as I can under normal circumstances.

One thing though: I'm very aware of my state of mind and mental condition. If I'm getting irritated or feel very tired, I generally stop early or don't trade at all.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

I want to thank @FuturesTrader71 as always for his time today for the Live AMA.

If anyone did not get their question answered in the AMA thread, you can post it here.

Below is the video recording for today's session.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: ama-ft71-apr213.flv
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

FT,

This is SPX and we're in a channel this entire CY so far. This channel has been on my chart for a long time, since middle of January or so, and held so far.

Do you pay any attention to such channels?

Panel 2 is McClellan breadth and is diverging a lot on recent highs in the last 2 months.

Everyone likes to say "Sell in May and go away", do you think the past three years make a trend?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

FuturesTrader71 

Big Mike View Post
FT,

This is SPX and we're in a channel this entire CY so far. This channel has been on my chart for a long time, since middle of January or so, and held so far.

Panel 2 is McClellan breadth and is diverging a lot on recent highs in the last 2 months.

Everyone likes to say "Sell in May and go away", do you think the past three years make a trend?

Mike

Hey Mike,

Yes, I do watch channels. I don't trigger trades off of them, but they are useful in giving us a bird's (or "drone's eye view" nowadays) of what is happening to the price action.

Note that the market is having a harder and harder time getting to the upper channel line and you almost have to draw another one that has a more horizontal slope. I'm seeing several signs of fatigue as we climb hire on the profile as well.

I posted a similar image in the S5 Trading chat room today and on twitter for a shorter time frame. That chart also has my measured-move targets on it as well. Here is what it looked like:

Here is another perspective on that chart with the quarterly profile in grey and some comments:

FuturesTrader71 

Big Mike View Post
FT,

[..]

Mike

I didn't catch the second part of your question. Under normal market cycles, I think you can make an argument for seasonalities like the one you mention. However, I can tell you that none of those seasonalities have played out as they traditionally do in energies, grains, etc where there is a behavior change that elicits that behavior.

I prefer to see the action as it is now and react to it. I'm too short-term a trader to care if they sell in May or June or crash in September again. To me, all movement is good movement.

Joseph689 
San Jose, Ca

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MetaTrader 4
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 114
Thanks Received: 40

Big Mike View Post
Check the master homework thread, Xav provided a NinjaTrader tool that will dump results to Excel for any instrument.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Big Mike, or anyone else?

Where can I locate this NinjaTrader tool ? Haven't been able to locate it.

Thanks.

Thanked by:
 garyboy275 
wa/ usa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Rithmic
Trading: "CL ES 6C 6E" NQ only nowadays
Thanks Given: 202
Thanks Received: 454

FT,

Do you have any rules regarding gaps how you trade with them ? (for eg. if we have a fairly large gap out of range, would you trade that differently than a large gap in range. Same question about smaller gaps. Do gaps influence your thinking in the morning or bias?)

Do you trade each and everyday (barring 1/2 days or expected slow days eg. shortened weeks in holiday season) or you base your bias if you are going to trade on the first hour's action etc ?

Thanks

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 2, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts