NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

AMA: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) / Morad Askar - Ask Me Anything

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one FuturesTrader71 with 200 posts (684 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 125 posts (476 thanks)
    3. looks_3 josh with 12 posts (31 thanks)
    4. looks_4 arnie with 10 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Yukoner with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 FuturesTrader71 with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 335,734 views
    2. thumb_up 1,498 thanks given
    3. group 469 followers
    1. forum 637 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

AMA: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) / Morad Askar - Ask Me Anything

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

Tip

There will be a Live AMA session on Tuesday, May 14th @ 12:00 PM ET.

- Quick and casual, 30 minute cap
- No prepared presentation
- Live screen sharing
- Floor will be opened immediately to questions
- Recording uploaded to AMA thread afterwards
- Attend live to get your questions answered

The link for the event is:
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/185788694

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 Upupandaway 
Dallas/Tx

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL Crude Oil
Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 166

Yah that's helfpul ok thanks

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

josh View Post
@FuturesTrader71, in "Phantom", POP's big rule #1 is to assume you are wrong, and get out of a trade unless the market proves you correct. This is in contrast to often-heard advice that a trade is valid until 'the market proves you wrong.' Instead of yielding control of the position to the market, POP advises that the trader stay in control of the position, and manually get out unless the market proves him correct.

From the webinars you have given, I have noticed that you typically recommend the "don't mess with your stop, let the market take you out" approach, which is about 180 degrees from what is in PoP. Since you recommended PoP, I am curious as to whether you simply don't believe in this type of approach but still find the book helpful, or whether perhaps your general advice is for newer traders who have a tendency to jump in and out on a whim, to help them avoid overtrading?

Bump

bmmartin 
ALICANTE

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra
Trading: ES, CL, NQ, GC
Thanks Given: 259
Thanks Received: 11

indextrader7 View Post
Bump

Thanks for bumping it: I am also very interested to hear/read what FT71 answers.

Thanked by:
 marts01 
Philippines

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra
Trading: Futures/Bund
Thanks Given: 50
Thanks Received: 29

Hi FT71,

Since we re on the subject of Phantom of the Pits, could you please explain how the process has changed over the past 15 years? ie. How much emphasis has been taken over by electronic trading, how strong is the physical aspects in the pits and such. Orders, locals, human interaction, etc...

Really appreciate everything you and big mike are doing here. Thanks, marts

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

Bump for tomorrow's event, link is a few posts up.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 PLD3 
London, United Kingdom

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Stellar
Trading: ES, FGBL, FDAX
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 5

Hi FT71,

Just a quick query, do daily moving averages play a big part in your trading strategy?

If so, how? And what setup parameters do you find most helpful? (I currently chart on CQG and use type 'simple', price set to 'close', and look at 10, 20, 50 and 100 day moving averages)

Many thanks to both Big Mike and yourself for all your help, its much appreciated.

Thanked by:

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,513

syxforex View Post
Thanks FT71, really appreciate your time.

Thank you! I hope you get something out of it to push you towards your goal.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

FuturesTrader71 

josh View Post
@FuturesTrader71, in "Phantom", POP's big rule #1 is to assume you are wrong, and get out of a trade unless the market proves you correct. This is in contrast to often-heard advice that a trade is valid until 'the market proves you wrong.' Instead of yielding control of the position to the market, POP advises that the trader stay in control of the position, and manually get out unless the market proves him correct.

From the webinars you have given, I have noticed that you typically recommend the "don't mess with your stop, let the market take you out" approach, which is about 180 degrees from what is in PoP. Since you recommended PoP, I am curious as to whether you simply don't believe in this type of approach but still find the book helpful, or whether perhaps your general advice is for newer traders who have a tendency to jump in and out on a whim, to help them avoid overtrading?

Excellent question. I don't agree with this aspect of POP's rule. I believe that traders micro-manage their position after painstakingly putting it on in the first place (lots of price risk assumed to put the trade on). This is a double-negative, in my opinion (and no that doesn't make a positive thing).

How many times have you fiddled with a trade and then saw it work out just the way you had envisioned?

POP's rule is valid back in the late 90's and through the 2000's. However, the market is very slow to make a move and once the move takes place it ends quickly. Back then, you can see the reaction from the market to your position quickly and it was a lot easier to scalp it. Now, I believe a researched edge executed without errors over a large sample is the better way to go.

Almost all of the traders that we have at our brokerage overmanage their trades. This is a bad habit, in my opinion. It leads the trader to believe that they know what will happen but they don't.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread

FuturesTrader71 

calitrader View Post
Hi FT71,
Thank you very much for all that you have given to this community, your dedication to helping traders and 'changing the industry' I have heard you refer to a risk sheet in webminars and AMA that you review before trading. I have tried to create my own but I would like to make sure I am not missing any big areas. Do you have a template of one you could share on the thread? Thank you.

Chris

My risk sheet is proprietary. However, I know several people have asked for this. I will work something up and get back to you. I usually only share proprietary stuff with our traders.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 2, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts