NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Beth's Journey to Make Her Millions

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wgreenie with 1,146 posts (808 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 108 posts (161 thanks)
    3. looks_3 cory with 52 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 monpere with 40 posts (86 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one monpere with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cory with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 wgreenie with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 322,137 views
    2. thumb_up 1,621 thanks given
    3. group 83 followers
    1. forum 1,776 posts
    2. attach_file 876 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Beth's Journey to Make Her Millions

wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

I'm very lucky to have guidance of The Wizard, Jeff (creator of All You Need thread) and Big Mike.

Believe Jeff won't mind sharing the following here as well:

Essentially the day can be divided into three parts....the times to NOT trade are right at the open (this is known as "clearing" of accumulated orders that are being filled at the open)....going into the close ( this is when the ETF's and other money managers need to get their orders filled before the end of the cash session last 15 minutes)....... lunch is usually not good due to lack of volume and last but not least is "Grim Reaper" this is between 11:30-12:00 PST ( the bond market closes at 12:00 PST and big money managers are moving $ between indexes and bonds...this can cause erratic market behavior.

Sometimes there will be good moves when it is usually not a good time to trade.....don't worry about missing these moves they are the exception NOT the rule.

If I were you I would examine my trades and see if any losses could have been avoided by only trading at the optimal time of day.

Also, I would make sure you have the Economic News indicator on your chart......it's a good reminder of news events. It's a good idea to stay clear of major news......both before and after the news release.....around 10-15 minutes each side of news is about right.

Unquote

Beth

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

wgreenie View Post
I have decided to follow the Best Trading Hours (morning session), ie

9:43 am | 10:14 am | 10:32 am | 11:00 am

3. The entry audio alert does help. Great signals esp when the lime and aqua lines on the 7500 volume chart crossover. Too bad I can't program the crossover. Will count on my eyes on the same when I hear an entry alert.

Enjoy your day. Will be back tomorrow .. smile ..

Beth

I tried my hand at MAs cross alert before, here is the result.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: MACrossAlert.cs
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Believe it or not .. I do have a daily game plan for ES .. haha ..

Position Size: 2 contracts per trade most of the time

No of Trades: 3 trades and/or 6 contracts

Trading Time: 9:30 am to 11:00 am (+/- 15 minutes)

Initial Target: 3-4 ticks for the 1st contract and let the 2nd contract run (move MM to BE after hitting the 1st target). If the trading range is very narrow, may exit the 2nd contract at 6-8 ticks. Never let a winner become a loser!

Initial MM: 6 ticks. I quite often move it to 4 ticks after checking the previous price bars + S/R. Strive NOT to have MM get hit!

Early Exit: Yellow bar, ADXVMA white choppy dot and d9 trend reversal etc. After checking the KP indicators, may try to exit BE or 1-2 ticks from entry. If most indicators are still aligned with the trend, may choose to stay in longer.

Other Trading Rules: Stop with PT @$300 or MM @-$150 or after 2 consecutive losing trades (applicable to real $ trades)

Preserve Precious Capital is the No 1 priority item on my trading list + there are always high probability trades waiting. I used to be too anxious to be in a trade OR stay too long in a losing one. No more ..

Happy & Successful Trading Always!

Beth

~ Trading is NOT about being right. It's about Trading RIGHT! ~

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,242
Thanks Received: 101,665

Beth,

Excellent job on covering the details of your plan. Also great job in identifying that it is equally important (in fact, probably much more important) to identify when NOT to trade than when TO trade.

Now you've simply got to execute on your plan. Take it slowly. Each day you naturally want to execute on your entire plan to the best of your abilities, but I find that in the beginning you can really focus your thoughts and have better success by narrowing in on just one or two key aspects of your plan, and tell yourself "no matter what, I will make sure I do these two things". Rinse, repeat - for a week or so at a time, then add another one or two to the list.

Good job and I look forward to you sharing how it is going.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

cory View Post
I tried my hand at MAs cross alert before, here is the result.

Thanks Cory for sharing your MA alert with me. I added the 2 MAs to the 7500 volume chart. Their crossovers have been very close to the KP one. Good news! Thank You!

Funny that when I tried to activate your strategy on the volume chart, it's not on the list. I can edit it and F5 compile successful. It's listed on the Strategy folder and yet I cannot locate it for activation on a chart?!! I did a quick strategy, ie creating a simple crossabove/crossbelow of the 2 SMAs. Will email NJ CS to find out why I can't find your sophisticated one.

Thank you again Cory!

Beth

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,242
Thanks Received: 101,665

wgreenie View Post
Thanks Cory for sharing your MA alert with me. I added the 2 MAs to the 7500 volume chart. Their crossovers have been very close to the KP one. Good news! Thank You!

Funny that when I tried to activate your strategy on the volume chart, it's not on the list. I can edit it and F5 compile successful. It's listed on the Strategy folder and yet I cannot locate it for activation on a chart?!! I did a quick strategy, ie creating a simple crossabove/crossbelow of the 2 SMAs. Will email NJ CS to find out why I can't find your sophisticated one.

Thank you again Cory!

Beth

Check the top of the indicator list, some people put a " " (space) before the name so it is at the very top. Also, NT7 had some bugs with escaping special chars in the description (not sure if it ever got fixed), so if there is a dash or colon in the description it caused the name to be blank in the indicator list.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Big Mike View Post
Take it slowly. Each day you naturally want to execute on your entire plan to the best of your abilities, but I find that in the beginning you can really focus your thoughts and have better success by narrowing in on just one or two key aspects of your plan, and tell yourself "no matter what, I will make sure I do these two things". Rinse, repeat - for a week or so at a time, then add another one or two to the list.

Thank you Big Mike for your kind encouragement and suggestion. Yes, I will focus on 1-2 key aspects and they will be:

1. Preserve Precious Capital (esp when a trade does not look good anymore after entry, I would like to manage it to my satisfaction and can successfully exit BE or 1-2 ticks)

2. Decide when to trade and when NOT to trade. Maximun No of trades and contracts per day is not set on stone. It's fine if there're no good signals and I will SOH while waiting for a great signal.

Note: Emotion is my biggest enemy. Trading in real had turned me to a "monster" that I did not recognize myself. People said public speaking is the No 1 fear for most. I spoke in front of close to 1,000 people ... so I may be able to fix this emotion "monster" in me .. Wish me luck .. haha ..

Will get ready for my sim-trade session now.

Beth

Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Big Mike View Post
Check the top of the indicator list, some people put a " " (space) before the name so it is at the very top. Also, NT7 had some bugs with escaping special chars in the description (not sure if it ever got fixed), so if there is a dash or colon in the description it caused the name to be blank in the indicator list.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, I went through the list at least 20 times and Cory's one is not there. I am going to ask my lovely hubby to go through the list for me this morning. His eyes are a little bigger (2 pairs with the assistance of his glasses) and may do the trick. Else I will email NJ CS shortly.

Thank You!

Beth

wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Have captured my post-trade comments on the enclosed trade log. The first long trade @9:45 am was a good one, ie 4 ticks PT got hit. I tried to get in twice and Mr Market did not fill me ooooo. Is it always the ones we did not get in ended up Profitable?!!!

Goals Accomplished:

1. Followed the NO overtrade rule and stopped after max 3 trades.

2. Exited the 2nd trade (Trade No 14) at a reasonable timing after the first one. Note: The first one (a 10-minute trade) was scary because I experienced what I did extremely bad in real life and was doing it again even it's sim trade! I simply don't like the "losing" idea which I MUST ACCEPT for trading.

Lessons Learned:

1. When the trading range is too narrow (say for ES a 2-3 points range), may consider taking the day off. Not even SOH?!!

2. It's fine to do 1-contract trades. I have friends telling me a thousand times that doing 1-contract trades is the dumbist thing to do. As a newbie, my personal experience has told me that 1-contract trades are fine as long as we manage them well. What's the point of doing multiple-contract trades if they affect our psyche or one is not ready?!! Well, no one knows how I feel ..

How to move forward:

1. I need to check my hypnosis script folder. Believe there's one on losing trades. A healthier approach will be: Cut losers small with winners exceed the losing ones! The most successful traders may have losing days and losing trades. It's part of the game LOL!

2. Prepare a new cute card with NO COUNTER-TREND TRADES. I need to have it in front of my nose/eyes .. haha ..

Wishing you all a Great Easter weekend.

Beth

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES Sim Trade Log 1 Apr 2010.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	10603   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 06-10  4_1_2010 (3350 Volume).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	10604   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 06-10  4_1_2010 (7500 Volume).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	10605  
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

My hubby is unable to find Cory's strategy though he pointed out there's one named "SampleMACrossover". Not sure if it clashes with Cory's. Just emailed NJ CS and will keep you posted of any further development.

You will notice the trade log started with No 13 because I have 4 YM strategies running (testing). At least they were together else I will need to do more cut-and-paste.

Thank you and enjoy your day.

Beth

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 21, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts