NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Beth's Journey to Make Her Millions

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wgreenie with 1,146 posts (808 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 108 posts (161 thanks)
    3. looks_3 cory with 52 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 monpere with 40 posts (86 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one monpere with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cory with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 wgreenie with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 321,373 views
    2. thumb_up 1,621 thanks given
    3. group 83 followers
    1. forum 1,776 posts
    2. attach_file 876 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Beth's Journey to Make Her Millions

wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

I did an unofficial trade when price broke Pivot/Reverse @1109.50. When I compared my chart with the PASwing one (on the right), it had a Fib rectangular box that also aligned with the Long.

When it's time to review the set-up/indicators this weekend, I may consider adding the PASwing indicator to the 4-Range chart. Stay with the default cal size will give me an opportunity to add the additional PA labels manually. Sort of semi-auto and manual LOL!

You will notice Cory's ADR indicator on the PASwing chart too. I moved it to display at BottomRight. Really neat! Thanks again Cory!

Beth

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA morning.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	15911  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

It's a real ES trade! A profitable one too .. haha .. Oh, $46.00 after commission LOL.

The trade was based on its breaking its recent LL + all indicators (incl red COTs) aligned. As mentioned in my earlier post, PT/SL @4 and 6 respectively. I was going to adjust SL to 4 ticks (1 tick above the high of the previous bar) and PT got hit first.

Emotion-wise: My petite heart started racing as soon as my Sell order was filled. Took a few deep breaths and position was closed within 2 minutes. Feelings (both pre- and during-trading) slightly better than yesterday.

Beth (Done with both sim- and real trades today.)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ES Live Trade 22 Jun.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	15919  
Thanked by:

Alan 
Sydney - Australia

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Velocity Futures
Trading: ES, 6E
Thanks Given: 1,442
Thanks Received: 144

Well done Beth. Good trading. Keep up this good work.

Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Price did not stop for a millisecond when it broke Bottom VPOC 1099.00! Tried to regain some lost ground and only succeeded in reaching 1098.00 before falling again. Hmm, maybe someone knows what's going to happen tomorrow (FOMC meeting)?!

Have a Nice evening.

Beth

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA afternoon.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	15925  

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,603

wgreenie View Post
I did another profitable Long when price broke DT. How can I simulate my real-trade emotion when doing sim ones? Or better still - how can I simulate my sim-trade emotion (so much calmer and fearless) when doing real ones?!!!

Beth (Let me think .. )

Hi Beth,

First congratulations on your first trade the other day

I see you've taken a couple since then.

The emotion and energy is going to be very different with cash vs. sim. This is the struggle. A very large number of people find it very easy to make money on sim, but when they go to cash they blow up.

There are a bunch of things you have to do, too many to list in one post, but here are a few off the top of my head:

- Treat sim like cash. No funny games. No 10 or 100 contract orders "just to see" what happens. Trade sim EXACTLY like you intend to trade cash. That means if you intend to trade cash with 1 or 2 contracts, you must do sim the exact same way.

- No resetting the sim account. If you blow up your sim account, it means you have a lot to learn. First, your sim balance should probably be only 10-20% of your cash balance. Ask yourself, how much of your cash balance would you blow/lose before you started "losing it" mentally. That's probably 10-20% for most people. Set your sim start balancing to the same level then, because if you lose that money then you need to find a new better strategy for sim trades before you go cash, otherwise once you do go cash if you are placed into a similar situation you will "lose it" mentally, which naturally is disastrous in the market.

- Trade sim like you trade cash. Same times of day. Same entry/exit methods. Same signals.

- Trade cash like you trade sim. Now this is harder. What do you do in sim after you have a loss? You need to do the same in a cash trade. What do you do in sim after you have a winner? You need to do the same in a cash trade.

The mind tries to minimize pain. I've read over and over and over again, and I've lived it, too, so I am a firm believer that your mind and body will "trick" you into doing things as a mechanism to end the pain. Let's say that you lay awake at night telling yourself you really, really, really want to be a successful trader. Your heart is in it. It means a lot to you. Now, during the day you keep losing more and more money. This can very easily be your mind coping with the sheer amount of stress of the situation. In your mind, the best way to end the stressful situation is to "get out", and the fastest way to get out is to blow your account so you stop trading, and the stress ends. There are countless other examples of this.

You specifically asked about trying to simulate emotions in sim like you would experience in cash. I think unfortunately you can't do this. But, with enough time and experience, you can treat cash like you treat sim. I hope that makes sense. It is the way I feel about it anyway. With enough experience taking those trades, and enough work, you can overcome your built-in reflexes and control them. You can be in a cash trade while still being in a calm and relaxed state. It takes a lot of experience in cash trades to master this, however. You can prepare before the trade, naturally, doing a bunch of mind and body techniques like meditation, hypnosis, all kinds of things. Even just simple stuff like working out and eating healthy and eliminating distractions around you. But the real experience comes from doing. The best way to re-wire your mind is by catching yourself in the act of something you want to change, and then willfully overcoming it and making the change happen.

Let me try to give some examples. Put a sticky note on your monitor that says "WHAT TO DO IN A CASH TRADE:" and list some things. Here are two that come to mind. #1: Ask yourself, are you calm and your heart rate normal? #2: Ask yourself, is your back touching the chair or are you leaned over?

By forcing yourself to ask questions, like if you are calm and heart rate normal, or if you are hunched over in your chair or not, you will force yourself to be aware of the answers and the state of things around you. That is step 1, awareness there is a problem. Then step 2 is to try to remove the anxiety that is causing you to do things you do not want to do. This takes a lot of work and practice. Breathing techniques are usually recommended to slow your heart rate and put you back into a calm state. I also find that simply taking my hand off the mouse, and forcing myself to plant my rear end as far back in the chair as it will go, and forcing myself to make by back touch the chair, that just by doing this I immediately relieve a lot of stress.

Gary also recently started a thread on biofeedback devices. I have a lot of interest in this because Dr. Brett talks about it a lot, and I think it is a great idea. The principle behind it would be that a simple machine is going to be able to tell you much faster than you may recognize by yourself, that you are not in the zone -- your anxious, not calm, elevated heart rate, sweaty palm, etc etc. Again, awareness is the first (required) step in the process of overcoming it. Unfortunately, it seems no one on nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) has any good recommendations for biofeedback hardware. I am still looking around and I know Gary is too.

I'm going to duplicate this post in my advice thread since a great majority of it applies to everyone not just you

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Thanks Mike for your best wishes and list of constructive to-do items to smoothen my sim/real trade transition!

FYI: I have done 2 real trades this week, ie one TF trade yesterday and one ES trade today.

Let me quickly addressed your raised issues and suggestion:

1. Emotion and Energy

My heart started racing the millisecond a real trade was on. Yesterday was wild and today was milder. Energy-wise: I'd say more on real trades. Some were used to tackle my fear.

2. To-do Items

1) Treat sim like cash: Have been practising this for some months now, eg

- 1-2 contracts/trade
- No over-trade (often 3 maximum/day)
- 9:30 to 11:30 am Mon to Fri (if I make enough or have 4 Green days in a row, Fri is optional)
- Stay with ES for discretionary while TF for semi-auto (I've been sim-trading a strategy for months and quite happy with its performance)

2) Preserve Precious Capital: I have a log capturing all my real trades while this thread serves to document my sim ones. Trust me, I know when to stop. For example, when I lost the first 4 days' profits on a Friday, I stopped and started this thread.

3) This quote is so True!! For some split seconds (in the past) it did flash in my mind. It's the easiest way out. Run wild and be irresponsible oooooo

Quoting 
The mind tries to minimize pain. I've read over and over and over again, and I've lived it, too, so I am a firm believer that your mind and body will "trick" you into doing things as a mechanism to end the pain.

4) Well said .. To me, it's the only way to overcome the "fear" enemy. Sim-trading helps testing out systems/set-ups and practise trade management/strategies etc. Not fear IMHO.

Quoting 
.. with enough time and experience, you can treat cash like you treat sim.

5) Ask Questions: I will prepare a sticky note tonight. Thanks Mike.

Quoting 
Put a sticky note on your monitor that says "WHAT TO DO IN A CASH TRADE:" and list some things. Here are two that come to mind. #1: Ask yourself, are you calm and your heart rate normal? #2: Ask yourself, is your back touching the chair or are you leaned over?

Beth (grateful)

Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Price currently trades at 1095.50 (up 5+ points from yesterday's Close @1090.25. We have important news today which will probably move the market, ie

- 10:00 am New Home Sales
- 2:15 pm FOMC Statement

Top VPOC 1108.75
Bottom VPOC 1079.00

Overnight High & Low as at 9:00 am: 1097.75 and 1090.75

Have a Successful day.

Beth

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Premarket Homework for 23 Jun Wed.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	15963  
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

First Thing First.

1. ES

I did a real trade and no sim trade so far!

Goal Accomplished: It's an A- trade and B for Trader Beth (me)! Why a minus for the trade? The market has been falling esp after the 10:00 am news and it's advisable to do Short trades. It's a Long with all indicators aligned + I followed the PA method LOL!

2. TF Sim Trade (Semi-auto)

My strategy triggered a Short around 10:00 am and immediately after a super-long red bar. I was not able to view the SMA crossover clearly to confirm it's likely a profitable Short. Then considering Mike's earlier suggestion (treat sim like cash), I placed a sim trade instead of a real one (which I did Mon). It's a good one and I outperform the strategy. What happened? It did not fall far enough to reach PT and instead SL was hit. That explained why I would like to do occasional semi-auto trades and not run it live.

Emotion-wise: I asked myself lots of questions. Actually I started asking what newbies will do during pullback? Maybe jumped to a Long trade and got burned?!

Beth

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ES Trade Log 23 Jun (Real Trade).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	15965   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 09-10  6_23_2010 (4 Range).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	15966   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 09-10  6_23_2010 (4 Range) Vol.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	15967   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Sim Trade Log 23 Jun.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	15968   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Sim Trade 23 Jun.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	15969  
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Initial Balance: 1080.25 - 1092.25 (12 points)
Value Area as at 11:20 am: 1090.75 - 1087.25 - 1083.25 (7.50 points)
Price opened @1091.75
Today's High and Low as at 11:20 am: 1092.25 and 1080.25 (matching IB)
VPOCs: Top 1108.75 and Bottom 1079.00

Overnight High and Low: 1097.75 and 1090.75

My Expectation: Rotation Up or Down after FOMC Statement at 2:15 pm. From now till then maybe sideway.

Trade with the Trend!

Beth

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ES 09-10  6_23_2010 (30 Min).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	15976  
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

We do have some action this morning since I need to map out the 2 charts separately .. smile .. Let's wait and see what may happen in the afternoon.

Beth

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA morning.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	15978  

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 21, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts