NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

asiaexpat journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one asiaexpat with 13 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two xiaosi with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,823 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 23 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

asiaexpat journal

asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: IB/IB, AMP/CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 53

(copied from one of my previous posts--might as well start my journal with it)

Was only 2 weeks ago that I decided to make the transition from passive Investor to active trader.

The challenges are formidable.

I have to upgrade my net connection, upgrade my pc hardware, get a new desk, reorganize furniture, change brokers, etc.... Having said that I expect everything to be in place by the end of march. In the meantime I am learning how to read charts, different instruments, watching webinars, videos, etc.....

I really like Al Brooks methods. "Gimme a chart and I'll trade it" That is basically my long term goal.

I'm slowly getting a grip on the various factors that make up a successful trader--psychology, strategy,methods, RR, Money management, journals, etc..., and again PSYCHOLOGY---

I have a full time job, family, badminton 3 nights a week, softball most Sundays--so while I remain focused on the task--it is going to take time--lots of it.

here's a real newbie question for all of you --Are there any charts that plot volume in candlestick format? ie.. draw a candlestick for every 100 contracts traded.

My study regimen? I will watch again all of Al Brooks webinars-- I also find useful Patstrading daily u tube videos

nightly chart watching--

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

xiaosi 
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: JIGSAW/SIERRA CHART
Broker: MacQuarie Futures/AMP Clearing/CQG
Trading: HHI, HSI, FDAX
Thanks Given: 448
Thanks Received: 535

asiaexpat View Post
(copied from one of my previous posts--might as well start my journal with it)

Was only 2 weeks ago that I decided to make the transition from passive Investor to active trader.

The challenges are formidable.

I have to upgrade my net connection, upgrade my pc hardware, get a new desk, reorganize furniture, change brokers, etc.... Having said that I expect everything to be in place by the end of march. In the meantime I am learning how to read charts, different instruments, watching webinars, videos, etc.....

I really like Al Brooks methods. "Gimme a chart and I'll trade it" That is basically my long term goal.

I'm slowly getting a grip on the various factors that make up a successful trader--psychology, strategy,methods, RR, Money management, journals, etc..., and again PSYCHOLOGY---

I have a full time job, family, badminton 3 nights a week, softball most Sundays--so while I remain focused on the task--it is going to take time--lots of it.

here's a real newbie question for all of you --Are there any charts that plot volume in candlestick format? ie.. draw a candlestick for every 100 contracts traded.

My study regimen? I will watch again all of Al Brooks webinars-- I also find useful Patstrading daily u tube videos

nightly chart watching--

You are starting a journey that I too started over two years ago now....if I had it to do over again I would have started with James Dalton and Brett Steenbarger. Learn to read what the market is telling you.

Good luck!

XS

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 traderwerks   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 436
Thanks Received: 465

asiaexpat View Post

Most charting platforms, like Ninja , have a volume chart type.

Math. A gateway drug to reality.
Thanked by:

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

Congrats on the journal - I'm in Bangkok too.

I'll stay subscribed to watch a fellow Bangkokian develop!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

DionysusToast View Post
Congrats on the journal - I'm in Bangkok too.

I'll stay subscribed to watch a fellow Bangkokian develop!

I think I've seen your username on thaivisa.com

Do you know if there is any social collaboration among the community of daytraders living around thailand? Ive got a vacant hosting account just aching for a new website

asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

So I finally figured out how to download free historical data and actually got a simulation session up and running.

5 minute Emini

I know there is some debate about simulation but I found it extremely useful.

My intention for this session was to get use the controls and mechanics of the ninja platform--Chart Trader/vs DOM etc.... but it quickly evolved into an all out trading session.

I was in way over my head.

I made all the rookie mistakes--poor entry selection, didn't follow my "rules", sold too soon, traded way too much, trying catch every swing. .... think I made like 27 trades in 3 hours. I got tired and impatient and lost $300 in the last 1/2 hour.

I was scalping--reached my target once and got stopped about 4 or 5 times. each of the stops cost me 100$.

Seems like every time I entered a trade within seconds I was already 1 or 2 ticks down --Then I went into " I was wrong and how to get out mode" So I would scalp for 2 or 3 ticks. etc.... etc... Just poor management. wanted to get my money back-- I'm competitive--even trading phoney cash.

On the positive side--I quickly identified a channel and made some good trades--even a couple trend lines I created were surprisingly useful.

I enjoyed it, Great experience-- Im starting again now.

DropD 
Western Slope+Colorado/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninja
Broker: NinaTrader Brokerage, Interactive Brokers
Trading: Coffee
Thanks Given: 39
Thanks Received: 29

xiaosi View Post
You are starting a journey that I too started over two years ago now....if I had it to do over again I would have started with James Dalton and Brett Steenbarger. Learn to read what the market is telling you.

Good luck!

XS

I would agree, learn everything you can about Market Profile!! I wish I would have started there!!!

asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

I finally got everything up and running--bought a ninja license etc...----

Today is the first day I could actually trade for real.

I was nervous---watching the ESmini open and trying to wait patiently for an entry point.

Finally took the plunge and exited 24 minutes later with a 4 tick winner.

It was tough waiting-- the temptation was to take 2-3 ticks but I was confident I could get more. I still dont know the what the final outcome would be if I just let it ride out.---

I need to figure out how to post the chart

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

asiaexpat View Post
I think I've seen your username on thaivisa.com

Do you know if there is any social collaboration among the community of daytraders living around thailand? Ive got a vacant hosting account just aching for a new website

Not seen anything - we are few & far between.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on June 5, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts