NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

asiaexpat journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one asiaexpat with 13 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two xiaosi with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,844 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 23 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

asiaexpat journal

asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: IB/IB, AMP/CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 53

(copied from one of my previous posts--might as well start my journal with it)

Was only 2 weeks ago that I decided to make the transition from passive Investor to active trader.

The challenges are formidable.

I have to upgrade my net connection, upgrade my pc hardware, get a new desk, reorganize furniture, change brokers, etc.... Having said that I expect everything to be in place by the end of march. In the meantime I am learning how to read charts, different instruments, watching webinars, videos, etc.....

I really like Al Brooks methods. "Gimme a chart and I'll trade it" That is basically my long term goal.

I'm slowly getting a grip on the various factors that make up a successful trader--psychology, strategy,methods, RR, Money management, journals, etc..., and again PSYCHOLOGY---

I have a full time job, family, badminton 3 nights a week, softball most Sundays--so while I remain focused on the task--it is going to take time--lots of it.

here's a real newbie question for all of you --Are there any charts that plot volume in candlestick format? ie.. draw a candlestick for every 100 contracts traded.

My study regimen? I will watch again all of Al Brooks webinars-- I also find useful Patstrading daily u tube videos

nightly chart watching--

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
21 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

xiaosi 
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: JIGSAW/SIERRA CHART
Broker: MacQuarie Futures/AMP Clearing/CQG
Trading: HHI, HSI, FDAX
Thanks Given: 448
Thanks Received: 535

asiaexpat View Post
(copied from one of my previous posts--might as well start my journal with it)

Was only 2 weeks ago that I decided to make the transition from passive Investor to active trader.

The challenges are formidable.

I have to upgrade my net connection, upgrade my pc hardware, get a new desk, reorganize furniture, change brokers, etc.... Having said that I expect everything to be in place by the end of march. In the meantime I am learning how to read charts, different instruments, watching webinars, videos, etc.....

I really like Al Brooks methods. "Gimme a chart and I'll trade it" That is basically my long term goal.

I'm slowly getting a grip on the various factors that make up a successful trader--psychology, strategy,methods, RR, Money management, journals, etc..., and again PSYCHOLOGY---

I have a full time job, family, badminton 3 nights a week, softball most Sundays--so while I remain focused on the task--it is going to take time--lots of it.

here's a real newbie question for all of you --Are there any charts that plot volume in candlestick format? ie.. draw a candlestick for every 100 contracts traded.

My study regimen? I will watch again all of Al Brooks webinars-- I also find useful Patstrading daily u tube videos

nightly chart watching--

You are starting a journey that I too started over two years ago now....if I had it to do over again I would have started with James Dalton and Brett Steenbarger. Learn to read what the market is telling you.

Good luck!

XS

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 traderwerks   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 436
Thanks Received: 465

asiaexpat View Post

Most charting platforms, like Ninja , have a volume chart type.

Math. A gateway drug to reality.
Thanked by:

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

Congrats on the journal - I'm in Bangkok too.

I'll stay subscribed to watch a fellow Bangkokian develop!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

DionysusToast View Post
Congrats on the journal - I'm in Bangkok too.

I'll stay subscribed to watch a fellow Bangkokian develop!

I think I've seen your username on thaivisa.com

Do you know if there is any social collaboration among the community of daytraders living around thailand? Ive got a vacant hosting account just aching for a new website

asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

So I finally figured out how to download free historical data and actually got a simulation session up and running.

5 minute Emini

I know there is some debate about simulation but I found it extremely useful.

My intention for this session was to get use the controls and mechanics of the ninja platform--Chart Trader/vs DOM etc.... but it quickly evolved into an all out trading session.

I was in way over my head.

I made all the rookie mistakes--poor entry selection, didn't follow my "rules", sold too soon, traded way too much, trying catch every swing. .... think I made like 27 trades in 3 hours. I got tired and impatient and lost $300 in the last 1/2 hour.

I was scalping--reached my target once and got stopped about 4 or 5 times. each of the stops cost me 100$.

Seems like every time I entered a trade within seconds I was already 1 or 2 ticks down --Then I went into " I was wrong and how to get out mode" So I would scalp for 2 or 3 ticks. etc.... etc... Just poor management. wanted to get my money back-- I'm competitive--even trading phoney cash.

On the positive side--I quickly identified a channel and made some good trades--even a couple trend lines I created were surprisingly useful.

I enjoyed it, Great experience-- Im starting again now.

DropD 
Western Slope+Colorado/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninja
Broker: NinaTrader Brokerage, Interactive Brokers
Trading: Coffee
Thanks Given: 39
Thanks Received: 29

xiaosi View Post
You are starting a journey that I too started over two years ago now....if I had it to do over again I would have started with James Dalton and Brett Steenbarger. Learn to read what the market is telling you.

Good luck!

XS

I would agree, learn everything you can about Market Profile!! I wish I would have started there!!!

asiaexpat 
Chiang Mai Thailand

I finally got everything up and running--bought a ninja license etc...----

Today is the first day I could actually trade for real.

I was nervous---watching the ESmini open and trying to wait patiently for an entry point.

Finally took the plunge and exited 24 minutes later with a 4 tick winner.

It was tough waiting-- the temptation was to take 2-3 ticks but I was confident I could get more. I still dont know the what the final outcome would be if I just let it ride out.---

I need to figure out how to post the chart

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

asiaexpat View Post
I think I've seen your username on thaivisa.com

Do you know if there is any social collaboration among the community of daytraders living around thailand? Ive got a vacant hosting account just aching for a new website

Not seen anything - we are few & far between.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on June 5, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts