NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bitcoin trading/mining

Discussion in Cryptocurrency

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 24 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 24 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xelaar with 15 posts (11 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MrYou with 7 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one suko with 1.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two CryptoTrader with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 xelaar with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 53,770 views
    2. thumb_up 50 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 117 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Bitcoin trading/mining

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TW TOS LiveVol
Broker: TD, TW, IB, Saxo
Trading: VXX, VIX, SPY
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 1,416

About a year ago one of my non-trader friends got really excited about Bitcoin, and started telling me about how it was going to be the next big thing for trading, and blah blah blah.

I said, well, you don't really have good trading platforms for Bitcoin yet, and the exchanges are immature, and it's all immature, so why would you want to trade Bitcoin in favor of some FOREX pair like USDJPY?

Well, the answer he gave me was "because Bitcoin is cool."

So later, last November (2014) I met some guys at the local Bitcoin Meetup, dev types, who had been in on Bitcoin from back when it was just one dollar. And they told me some wild tales about making fortunes then having it all stolen, etc. Anyway, I got the idea that yeah you could have made a lot speculating in this one particular digital currency with the right timing a couple years ago.

But nobody answered the question as to why you would want to trade Bitcoin instead of, for instance, USDJPY now.

Nevertheless, I did learn about the best online wallets and about how to transfer money between banking systems via Bitcoin as a non-geeky person using rapidly maturing operators such as Circle.com

Fast forward a year.

I've got my international money route all set up and I have been happily transfering money back and forth internationally. This is very cool, since my local bank here charges me $100 to make transfers plus a spread, plus they make me fill out paperwork for two hours in microscopic Chinese characters. Usually I get a form filled out and make a mistake over one stroke in a Chinese character and the clerk will pull out a new form and make me fill it out again. Agony.

With my new Bitcoin route I can move money from a brokerage account in one country to one in another with a few mouse clicks and very small fees.

So I have some skin in the Bitcoin game, so to speak, and I had been getting pretty comfortable making transactions purely for the sake of international FOREX transfers. So, if Bitcoin was going up, I would hold it overnight or a couple of days, then go ahead and complete the transaction, smile over a little profit and have my fees covered, and it was all good.

OTOH, if Bitcoin was going down, I would make the transfer as quickly as possible and not sweat it.

THEN my local exchange added a nifty trading platform plus short selling with 4.5 to 1 leverage. Now it's getting interesting.

I made some very small trades just to get comfortable with the platform.

Then when Bitcoin broke out of its range for the monster rally this past week I was locked and loaded. Made some good trades all the way up and almost got top tick. Then scalped it on the way down. And today I am doing some more scalping.

As a trader nowadays I usually make month-long swing trades in options or vol products, so this was a new experience for me, sitting there staring at the 1 minute BTC chart. Kinda fun.

Volatility

I have spent the past year of my trading apprenticeship focused almost entirely on volatility, both in terms of IV in options and also VIX and other indexes. I am all about volatility. And then I was watching Pete Mulmat's most excellent futures show "Splash into Futures," the other day, and it's just a throwaway line, he's talking Euro futures, I think, and he says

"In FOREX, a 10% move is a huge move."

Well, duh. I never realized that, not being a FOREX trader.

So now I get why you want to trade Bitcoin.

As a new FOREX asset class, it's got wonderful volatility. It's like trading UVXY, it lights up the board like there's no tomorrow.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

@suko

Interesting, I was interested in bitcoin since it was 30 buck a crack. But the problem with exhanges and shady dealing kept me off it. If the volatility is the most important factor that drives you to bitcoin, then compare it to NASDAQ small caps, where price moves 100-500% on pumps and crazy news and then drops. People are killing it there, all while using regulated brokers, established platforms and actual stock exchange.

Trade to live. Not live to trade.
Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Platform: TW TOS LiveVol
Broker: TD, TW, IB, Saxo
Trading: VXX, VIX, SPY
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 1,416

xelaar View Post
@suko

Interesting, I was interested in bitcoin since it was 30 buck a crack. But the problem with exhanges and shady dealing kept me off it. If the volatility is the most important factor that drives you to bitcoin, then compare it to NASDAQ small caps, where price moves 100-500% on pumps and crazy news and then drops. People are killing it there, all while using regulated brokers, established platforms and actual stock exchange.

Or biotech.

FOREX in general is problematic in that sense.

I think the key with Bitcoin is trade small particularly.

Anyway, seeing that Bitcoin is now going mainstream, I have decided to roll up my sleeves and become an expert on it.

Thanked by:
 justrandom 
Batavia NY

I would trade Bitcoin but would have more trust in a 1920s bucket shop swindler than in the current infrastructure.

rleplae 
Gits (Hooglede) Belgium
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader, Proprietary,
Broker: Ninjabrokerage/IQfeed + Synthetic datafeed
Trading: 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, 6J, 6S, ES, NQ, YM, AEX, CL, NG, ZB, ZN, ZC, ZS, GC
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 5,863

IMHO, the biggest issue with trading bitcoins is the counterpart risk, especially if you want to do arbitration from one exchange to another.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

justrandom View Post
I would trade Bitcoin but would have more trust in a 1920s bucket shop swindler than in the current infrastructure.

rleplae View Post
IMHO, the biggest issue with trading bitcoins is the counterpart risk, especially if you want to do arbitration from one exchange to another.

+1 both comments.
When it's segregated accounts I might start taking notice.

rleplae 
Gits (Hooglede) Belgium
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader, Proprietary,
Broker: Ninjabrokerage/IQfeed + Synthetic datafeed
Trading: 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, 6J, 6S, ES, NQ, YM, AEX, CL, NG, ZB, ZN, ZC, ZS, GC
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 5,863

SMCJB View Post
+1 both comments.
When it's segregated accounts I might start taking notice.

one of the problems is also the lack of instant confirmation in some scenarios
unless you go through a central solution or other solution for creating an
instant/trusted process

that makes it difficult to trade or do arbitrage, as it could take a few minutes
before you are sure the transaction was non repudiate-able

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Any news about Winkelwoss' Bitcoin ETF coming to life?

Trade to live. Not live to trade.

Last Updated on November 11, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts