NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Volume market profile - ThinkOrSwim platform only

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one WilleeMac with 9 posts (8 thanks)
    2. looks_two haljordan with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 DarkPoolTrading with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one growex with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mfbreakout with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Barnacle Bill with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 WilleeMac with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 53,542 views
    2. thumb_up 40 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 35 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Volume market profile - ThinkOrSwim platform only

Leon of Pizza 
St. Louis

Experience: Beginner
Platform: thinkorswim, NT8
Trading: equity and fx futures and options
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 192

As of 11/3/16 thinkorswim's volume profile remains inaccurate. To see evidence of this - plot a profile and expand the price axis until the volume numbers appear. Then its revealed that they are plotting the same value for each price within a bar.

workarounds:

The 1 day aggregations are accurate enough for folks that trade areas rather than a specific tick. It seems that accuracy improves as the period is increased. I suppose this is due to an averaging effect because each error is confined to a bar's range and the errors become smaller relative to the increasing price range introduced as the period is increased. A 1m chart is more accurate than a 30m chart for the same period. Obviously, the "custom row height" setting is a ruse.

Customized aggregation periods are extremely limited. Specifying begin/end dates is not available. The 2 methods are: 1) use a single profile and set the period to chart, then adjust the chart period. Sometimes the period, or price range of interest can be gleaned. 2) set the period to day and bump up the multiplier. This function is broken and has been for years. To test it, step through the multiplier values and take a quick look at the result after each one. Method 1 is like a short-handled shovel and 2 should be avoided.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

ThunderThor
New York City

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 4

WilleeMac View Post
I've brought this up before in another thread at thinkscripter (and here) and it's something that needs attention

Pull up a volume profile on a fast moving product (/6E) when news is out or an event etc

Set chart to today M1

Set study to ticksize, time per profile day, multiplier 1, on expansion no

Zoom in enough so that the chart will show you the volume numbers within each node

You will notice that several nodes above and below price are adding volume simultaneously

Because ToS receives their data in blocks (not true tick data) it causes the nodes to do this

I've brought this up to ToS at least twice w/ no definitive answer

-Bill

P.S. I just did this on /ES M15 20 day and several nodes above and below price are adding volume - today here now

Thanks for this post. Do you know if TOS ever changed it from data blocks to true tick data ?

Thanks

RosDaBoss 
USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation, Win98
Trading: 6E, ES, TF
Thanks Given: 44
Thanks Received: 27

I'm trying to expose yesterday's vpoc as a label. I attached the indicator that I am using on a 3 minute chart. I inserted line 12, 14, and 27 to try and accomplish but have not had any luck. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

thinkorswim Sharing

SkyChef
Los Angeles CA, USA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

If you want to use ToS monkey stuffs for market structure's information like where is the main value areas, support & resistance are then it's usable but you still need to rewrite the codes to split the date, time etc. Too much works w/ minimum rewards. It's better to use different platforms.

n7ekg 
Plano, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 44

I know this is an old thread, but I've been trying to find code that will identify high and low volume nodes in the TOS volume profile, much like Sierra's volume profile does. Has anyone taken a swing at doing this? It seems as of the TOS volume profile study is wholly inadequate for any serious work.

Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Leon of Pizza 
St. Louis

Experience: Beginner
Platform: thinkorswim, NT8
Trading: equity and fx futures and options
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 192

n7ekg View Post
...trying to find code that will identify high and low volume nodes in the TOS volume profile....It seems as if the TOS volume profile study is wholly inadequate for any serious work.

I don't use code, but since its nearly useless as a charting tool, I doubt that there's anything to extract with code.

I also use NT8 and they have a number of better volume profile tools. One of which is the Order Flow Volume Profile drawing. They use the same workaround that thinkorswim uses (previously discussed in this thread), so its not completely accurate, but its a lot more functional and very usable for chart work. The caveat is that the NT8 basic drawing tools are lacking a lot of basic functionality.

Last Updated on November 3, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts