NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

10,000 hours, really?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 27 posts (33 thanks)
    2. looks_two Massive l with 10 posts (31 thanks)
    3. looks_3 josh with 9 posts (28 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 8 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 3.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Massive l with 3.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 syxforex with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 45,793 views
    2. thumb_up 349 thanks given
    3. group 52 followers
    1. forum 205 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

10,000 hours, really?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

I'm starting the thread to encourage participation on this subject. Many people say you need "10,000 hours" of hands-on trading experience before you can become adept enough on the subject to be in a position to be any good at it.

Most people who work 40 hour work weeks in a "day job" work approximately 2,000 hours a year. This equates to roughly 5 years of experience to equal the 10,000 hour mark, if you put in 40 hours a week with 2 weeks off per year.

Thoughts?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,181
Thanks Received: 15,564

YES!! ...(very confrontational question)

some thoughts about:
1) If one is working on ONE instrument - to get in touch witch that special instrument behaviour
you need a lot of experience
2) looking for many instruments - the "feeling" for ONE instrument time will be mutliplied by instruments

SO:
If one gets a feeling of price movements in ONE instrument - one can cut down experience hours...
if not - a 10K screen hours on different instruments does NOT prevent from trading losses.

My 2 cents - concentrate on ONE instrument you believe on

GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

Big Mike View Post
Most people who work 40 hour work weeks in a "day job" work approximately 2,000 hours a year. This equates to roughly 5 years of experience to equal the 10,000 hour mark, if you put in 40 hours a week with 2 weeks off per year.

Thoughts?

Mike

I think its bang-on - as a minimum! Expecting the dream for less is foolhardy in the extreme. Most jobs can be learned in that same kind of time-frame, but most jobs do not have the psychological inside out turns that trading does. I'd say (from 13yrs and still surviving) that doubling the number is not a problem either.

Right now is a classic example, the markets are being held in a stalling pattern and traders will be blowing up accounts all over the world trying to force trades to happen that are not yet present with a good r/r. To learn when not to trade let alone how to trade takes a very long time indeed.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

is probably a good evaluative criteria to gauge when an individual might start to gain increasing profitability and consistency. The really bright, really assertive can do it sooner, yet keep in mind that there are no barriers to entry, so many that should not even consider it, do give trading a whirl.

It might not be fair though to consider "top performance"

Thanked by:

Fadi 
Luxembourg

Broker: IB / Kinetick
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 667
Thanks Received: 648

Makes sense; not only for trading, but for any skill/craft one is learning and trying to master.
Some people can do it will less hours, others require more - a very interesting book touching on this subject is: "The Dip" from Seth Godin.

I am not sure 10,000 is the magical number, I was convinced of something like 4500...
But either way the idea is there It requires lots of commitment, and will power; time + energy to say the least.

Ask any worldwide champion about his journey to the top, they are all similar fom chess players to the most extreme competitions you wish to think of (including trading of course)

Successful people will do what unsuccessful people won't or can't do!
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

Platform: MC, MC.Net, NT, TWS
Broker: IB / IQFeed / Kids
Trading: Forex, stocks
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 460

IMO 10,000 is probably in the ball park. As @wldman suggests the figure no doubt varies according to what talents the trader already possesses and how quickly s/he is able to acquire new skills--less for the gifted or more for folks who have a lot of unlearning to do (bad habits, psychological issues, unproductive personality traits).

While it may seem those who obsess about things (tend to work far more than 40 hours / week) ought to be able to get into "the zone" sooner than 5 years I'm not sure that's the case 100% of the time. IMO for example psychological issues responsible for obsessive and often compulsive behaviour, the resolution of which may have nothing to do with trading experience, can cause us to repeat the same bad behaviour over and over--expecting different results, as the joke goes--stuck in a rut for a very long time before we finally snap out of it.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

And what about the traders whose charts are constantly changing? I mean different specialty bar types, different indicators, and thus different setups?

Is the 10,000 hours cumulative across all these differences? Or does one need 10,000 hours on a vastly similar approach to be an expert in that approach?

How different is trading one "chart template" with one bar type, and one set of indicators compared with a different "chart template" of a completely different bar type and indicators?

What about varying methodologies such as trading divergences vs breakouts, or trading extremes countertrend vs trend following and trend continuation? Do you need 10,000 hours of each?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

Prop shops give traders 12 weeks of training & then let them work SIM till they get good enough to be let loose on 1 or 2 lots. Some people are there on week 12 and some never get there.

3 months, not 5 years.

There wouldn't be ANY professional traders anywhere if it took 5 years of full time commitment to get profitable.

Think about it people, how would a firm be able to survive if if they had to pay people for 5 years before they got a return? How would prop traders on a stipend of $750 a month survive for 5 years on that pittance before they made enough money to buy a few new shirts, or eat.

What is it that occurs at hour 10,000 that is so special? Why not 5403 or 1726 or 8983?

It's just a myth perpetuated on teh interweb in my opinion.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

I would tend to agree with Dionysus. If you want to become the next Warrren Buffet then maybe you'd need 10000+ hours but learning a basic intraday method should not take more than 3 months. Obviously, if you want to program your own tools and reinvent the wheel then it is another game.

Last Updated on November 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts