NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 265 posts (970 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 28 posts (91 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 16 posts (55 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 16 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rubyslippage with 18.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 106,776 views
    2. thumb_up 1,774 thanks given
    3. group 85 followers
    1. forum 556 posts
    2. attach_file 50 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

TST Combine Journal

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

^^^ Above post might as well have been a big bull on the cover of Time magazine. haha

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I'll manage this trade on a live webcast if anyone wants to join:

It may be the most boring thing ever. Or not...

https://join.me/indextrader7

SESSION CLOSED NOW.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

Is this a prep for TST trade? If so, I'm sure you are aware you must close the position by 3:10pm CT; are you expecting 92 by that time today?

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Yes, thanks man. 1:30 is my session ending time, so I just closed out the remainder.

josh View Post
Is this a prep for TST trade? If so, I'm sure you are aware you must close the position by 3:10pm CT; are you expecting 92 by that time today?

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Here's how it went.

Took first half off after price was quickly rejected at new highs. Took rest off when swing low that led to that high failed.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Well, I scalped from 7am until 1:30pm today. 25 trades. Keep in mind this is on sim, and it's a mental exercise I'm doing. I have no real concern for trades, other than to follow rules and manage them as best I can. The main thing I'm focused on is how I FEEL during trades.

Yesterday, I hesitated on a few setups. Today, I didn't do that, so kudos there.

The problems today? I should not allow trades to go past 10 ticks on me. That went out the window today; I had six trades that had MAE's beyond 10 ticks.

On those trades today that I allowed past 10 ticks, a few things happened that I noticed:
1. I really wanted to "be right" on them. Noted in journal.
2. I would start to look at other timeframes, other information, searching for ANYTHING to give me a reason to "hang on" a little longer.

This is a good thing to notice, because it's something that needs to be fixed.

Other than that, I executed the system well today. Today was certainly not a day that was conducive to that method, but that's beside the point.

Being 100% honest, it is embarrassing to write these things down here. I feel like I should be "better" than this. I feel awkward for putting myself out there as someone who can "help others" with trading, because I now see myself as the one who needs help. I'm not having a pity party here, it's just the truth that it's hard to continue to make my weaknesses public. It's shaming. (Probably a good motivator to continue to improve though right?!)

Here is the 20+ trade sample.

A zero expectancy (gross) for this sample set. 50% winners, 9 tick average win, 9 tick average loss. (negative expectancy after commissions on the 29 trades)

Here's a cumulative look at the past two days trades, which completes this exercise for the 29-trade sample. This chart was made using the output function that the S5 trade analyzer has. I just combined yesterday's and today's outputs.

Results of the exercise:

- I really did make less mental mistakes than the first exercise, so that is a good thing for sure.

- I can tell that I am becoming much more self-aware. This is a very very good thing. If I get nothing from these exercises other than an increased self-awareness, then they will have been time well spent.

- I still struggle with wanting to be right on trades. Which, in this exercise, led me to hesitate. Yesterday, I hesitated on a few entries, today I hesitated on a few exits. Interesting to me how it was only a one-sided problem each day. I wonder if there is anything behind that dynamic...

Focus for the next exercise:

- Keep improving self-awareness. Right now I am catching myself in the act of committing errors; next, I will catch myself even thinking about them (before I commit the crime).

- Larger sample size. Because scalping can lead to so many trades, I'm going to extend the sample size for Exercise Round 3 to be time based. It will start tomorrow, Friday the 8th, and go through next Friday, the 15th.

- Continue to remove energy from the idea that I need to be right. Continue to add energy to the idea that I don't need to know what's going to happen next in order to make money.

- I will be taking this exercise live soon, no more sim exercise.

Guys, this is so much work. I feel completely uncomfortable. This is probably a good thing, but it is so hard.

jimjones26 
Tulsa OK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader/Jigsaw Tools
Broker: Deep Discount Trading/TT
Trading: ZN, ZB
Thanks Given: 138
Thanks Received: 207

indextrader7 View Post
Guys, this is so much work. I feel completely uncomfortable. This is probably a good thing, but it is so hard.

Everything worth having in life requires work IMO.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 Brewer20 
Denver, CO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: T4/TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 71
Thanks Received: 93

indextrader7 View Post

Good work on your progress! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I think trading is uncomfortable because the needed mindset is very different from many other areas in life.

Plan your trade, trade your plan.
Thanked by:

Boomer34 
Georgia, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TOS
Broker: TOS
Trading: SPX
Thanks Given: 74
Thanks Received: 57

IT7...I really appreciate the honesty and transparency in this thread. Great stuff

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

indextrader7 View Post

- I really did make less mental mistakes than the first exercise, so that is a good thing for sure.

- I can tell that I am becoming much more self-aware. This is a very very good thing. If I get nothing from these exercises other than an increased self-awareness, then they will have been time well spent.

Focus for the next exercise:

- Keep improving self-awareness. Right now I am catching myself in the act of committing errors; next, I will catch myself even thinking about them (before I commit the crime).

Keep up the good work!

We are all standing besides you on this wonderful community @Big Mike. If you ever feel you need some data crunched let me know and I will do it for you. I know how huge and insurmountable the multiple tedious tasks of trading feel (and I used to be actually THRILLED while trading a few years ago, LOL).

Starts with review, planning, what-if, keeps you on your toes waiting waiting waiting to no end for low risk setups, then keeping yourself patient and further patient and composed till a proper exit presents itself, then further self-awareness to stop ego from a profitable trade and fear adding from a losing trade and not letting both affect you on the next trade, rinse repeat for hours --- and ends with record-keeping, self-awareness again. Takes the life out of you. Almost makes me feel promoting myself to a swinger from a scalper!

Great job, and all the best on live!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on August 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts