NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 265 posts (970 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 28 posts (91 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 16 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16 posts (55 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rubyslippage with 18.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 106,693 views
    2. thumb_up 1,774 thanks given
    3. group 85 followers
    1. forum 556 posts
    2. attach_file 50 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

TST Combine Journal

greenr 
london/england

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts, NinjaTrader, VK Trader
Broker: CQG, AMP, VK, Kinetick
Trading: CL/6E/TF/ES
Thanks Given: 562
Thanks Received: 1,280

indextrader7 View Post
I traded on ninja yesterday, I traded on S5 today thus no ninja chart with the fills today.

Current setup is ninja charts with S5 DOM.

Here's an S5 chart with the fills for your edification and enjoyment:

sorry missed putting an arrow under the last long trade there, you get the idea though.

ahhh got you

Thought you may have come up with an amazing cunning plan to some how show your fills from S5 on Ninja

Thanks Index

" I will follow my rules, I will take my stops, I will be disciplined and i will work with the market....NOT AGAINST IT! Professional mind control is the key"

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 mongoose 
Chicago, IL

Experience: None
Platform: oil super computer
Trading: multiple
Thanks Given: 817
Thanks Received: 433

Sorry if you posted this already, but are you still using multiple time frames? and what would you use as a lower time frame for the ES?

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Here's where I would be if I were in a combine through this whole time... just added in ES trades for the first time.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

mongoose View Post
Sorry if you posted this already, but are you still using multiple time frames? and what would you use as a lower time frame for the ES?

I couldn't imagine trading anything without multiple timeframes!

Currently using 500vol for smallest timeframe. It's the closest thing I could find to my 2range chart used for lower timeframe for CL and TF trading.

Anything that gives you 5 to 10x more info for the larger timeframe and 1/5 to 1/10 the info for lower timeframe is a good general rule of thumb.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I've caught myself telling multiple friends today that trading ES is like taking candy from a baby.

REMEMBER THIS POST ROOKIE???

DOWN CONFIDENCE!!! DOWN!!!!

I see you...

SteveH
Orlando, Florida, USA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 104

Merritt,

Do I have this right? If you wind up getting an account funded by TST, you absorb 100% of the losses below the initial balance and they take anywhere from 20-40% of your profits? Since they are at 0% risk from anyone's trading failure, capital from newbies would be secured ahead of trading a funded account. So they cut you off when you blow out that secured capital.

[Edited: I DO have the above wrong. The capital partner assumes some risk but the max exposure to their risk is no greater than what you would normally be willing to bear on your own, right?]

If you have 25-50K of trading capital and enough money to live off of for 12 mos, why would you ever need them in the first place? You can make a living AND keep 100% of your profits.

Given you're a positive expectancy trader to begin with, even if you had only 15-20K of startup capital with a broker who has $500-$1000 margin per ES contract, you could start out with, say, 3 ES contracts to get your confidence up and then get more aggressive after the first 10K profit.

Another thing to consider is that they give you a 1099. On their taxes, they get to claim the Section 1256 60/40 tax advantage. On your taxes, you pay Social Security and Medicare tax plus the standard rate on your 1099 salary. When you are an individual investor, you get the 60/40 tax advantage and don't have to pay SS or Medicare tax on your net gains from trading Section 1256 contracts. Your employment can be "unemployed" or "retired", doesn't matter because you won't (that is, you don't) claim business expenses to set yourself up as self-employed. You pay your fair share of taxes by the Section 1256 rule and trading expenses are negligible relative to that kind of advantage (save 7K-9K in taxes vs. regular rate per 100K of net gains + what you didn't have to pay in SS and Medicare)

If I were down to my last 20K of trading capital and still had 12 mos of savings to live off of, well, I would go for the 100% profit retention and find a job if that got blown out. The down side in both scenarios is the same. The up side is better on your own. With all of this, it's a given that a positive edge exists. You just have to manage those contracts to survive the necessary draw-down periods.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

SteveH View Post
Do I have this right? If you wind up getting an account funded by TST, you absorb 100% of the losses below the initial balance and they take anywhere from 20-40% of your profits? Since they are at 0% risk from anyone's trading failure, capital from newbies would be secured ahead of trading a funded account. So they cut you off when you blow out that secured capital.

No, you do not have this right at all.

Read: Live Trading Room | Trading Program | Topstep Funded Trader

SteveH
Orlando, Florida, USA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 104

Josh,

My apologies. I see where I misread that page. I edited the original post with an insert after the incorrect part. There is risk on their side. Looks very minimal though vs their upside potential.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

@SteveH

Thanks for the comments, I always appreciate your input.

Trading for TST is a total "long call option" payout for me. The risk is limited to the $400 bucks it costs to sign up. Once funded, I would have zero downside risk personally; the equity partners assume 100% downside risk. I would simply be entitled to (initially) 60% of the upside.

Anyone care to start making 60% of a fresh 150k account?

Yes, please.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

SteveH, no worries mate. I replied but instead of cluttering Merritt's journal I put it in the TST thread:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on August 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts