NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 265 posts (970 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 28 posts (91 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 16 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16 posts (55 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rubyslippage with 18.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 106,693 views
    2. thumb_up 1,774 thanks given
    3. group 85 followers
    1. forum 556 posts
    2. attach_file 50 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

TST Combine Journal

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

indextrader7 View Post
Today was a great day as far as having the proper trader mindset goes. Really quite good, but not perfect.

After checking the news today, I got the idea to set a loop timer to be a reminder to bring me back to where my mind should be, and read through important mental beliefs and such that I have written out (all Mark Douglas stuff).

I set it to go off every half hour. It's a free tool I found at Loop Countdown - Repeating Timer - Loop Timer if anyone is interested.

A big THANK YOU for that resource! Just what I was looking for!

indextrader7 View Post

7:00 to 7:22 - I did notice a bit of frustration felt due to the fact that the market was absolutely not moving. I noted this feeling, and refocused.

*In between trades (looking for next edge) I noticed, "I'm fully aware of my desires to anticipate signals today." This is a good thing for me to notice myself thinking about.

Your journal is unique because you don't just focus on the market part, you also focus on what is MY state at the moment part which makes us feel we are sitting right next to you and observing your mind through a glass on your forehead while you are trading. Thanks!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

targetfilled View Post
Have you started your combine...

Not yet. No rush.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

@DarkPoolTrading here are the CL trades on a chart for you today:

Got chopped up a bit early on, but then we got some continuation and I was there and available for it.

...and two later in the day:

I've got to run to have lunch with a buddy, but I'll post my more detailed review later. Wow, the bottom is falling out as I type this...

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I will admit it. Trading CL is taking a toll on me. It's so demanding. It's so fast. It's so mean!

I feel as though my returns (especially on a risk adjusted basis) have diminished. I will, however, finish this Exercise #3 I'm currently in with the same market through the end of the week as planned.

I will be taking a hard look at ES though. I know it's "slow" compared to CL, but that is welcomed at this point. I really do feel worn out.

Ok, enough of the pity party. Here are the cumulative results since I began Exercise #3 last Friday. This is my sheet I import the trade analyzer data into. The results are in average ticks per contract traded.

Mentalities:

They have been quite good actually! Things have become much easier since I got away from TRYING to be so mechanical, when that is not what I do. I'm really embracing the uncertainty of the markets, although I would be lying if I said I didn't want to be right on every trade. At least I am acknowledging that it's impossible to know the outcome of trades, which is a huge benefit when it comes to trade management.

The problems, frustrations, and weariness are coming from trying to trade so TIGHTLY in such a wild market.

efutures 
kansas city, KS.

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradestation and Interactive Brokers
Trading: Futures, currencies, stocks and options
Thanks Given: 58
Thanks Received: 27

Hi IT7,

Here is my post from your previous thread on 3rd November.

" You are doing a great job of being consistently profitable. Why did you move from TF to CL?. If I am moving to CL from TF, I could expect my profit to go up 2 to 3 folds else not trade CL as the drawdowns to much more severe on CL.

In my opinion, you could easily make more than 20-25 Ticks just by going to higher tick count and being selective in trading. "

I think what I wrote then is still vaild and kind of knew you will have large of drawdown in the way you are trading the CL then. 10-20 Tick in CL is pure noise. The way I see it - you should go for trades that will give you more ticks, meaning use a large tick chart. You will get 3 to 5 trades in normal day, but that is all you need.

Why are you thinking of ES, when you have a thread dedicated to TF. Price action in ES is better than TF but the spread will eat you up if you trade two many times in a day. Check YM price action is similar to ES and the spread better than ES.

Above are just my opinion, all the best to you.

Good Trading.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

efutures View Post
Hi IT7,
Check YM price action is similar to ES and the spread better than ES.

YM is all good but the tick price is only 5 bucks and the commission is another 5 bucks (on TST for that matter), so you just give up 1 tick to pay for the trade, while in ES or 6E you only pay same 5 bucks while 1 tick costs 12.5, so the costs are less than half of for YM. Same with contracts, you have same number of contracts for ES, YM or anything else, so dollar-wise you cannot gain as much bucks for your ticks. Sure, volatility is higher on YM but then you need to more than double your targets in ticks to gain the same buck for your limit contracts number to match ES, 6E or CL.

PS not sure how come spread is better on YM, unless during news release ES is always 1 tick spread, sometimes even 0. Only in a sense that it is 1 tick on both but 1 tick costs less on YM the spread is just 5 bucks not 12.5 in YM, if you must use market orders, but this is offset by higher (relative to tick value) commissions.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

xelaar View Post
PS not sure how come spread is better on YM, unless during news release ES is always 1 tick spread, sometimes even 0. Only in a sense that it is 1 tick on both but 1 tick costs less on YM the spread is just 5 bucks not 12.5 in YM, if you must use market orders, but this is offset by higher (relative to tick value) commissions.

It does not matter what type of order you use, you pay the spread. If you use a limit to enter and exit, the market has to move 1 tick to fill you, so your 1 tick gain becomes a scratch. The spread exists always, it's what makes a market. A zero spread is not practically possible for any instrument, for normal type trading anyway.

Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

efutures View Post
" You are doing a great job of being consistently profitable.

I think what I wrote then is still vaild

Well, it is not. On the last chart posted, after 35 trades he is at breakeven, that is not consistent...

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

josh View Post
It does not matter what type of order you use, you pay the spread. If you use a limit to enter and exit, the market has to move 1 tick to fill you, so your 1 tick gain becomes a scratch. The spread exists always, it's what makes a market. A zero spread is not practically possible for any instrument, for normal type trading anyway.

I agree but unless you are filled to the tick and then price reversed or reversed one tick shy you don't suffer from the spread. All said commissions toll is much more visible on the statement.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

For some reason, venting about CL bothering me yesterday helped me today. I had a much stronger detachment from each 10 or 15 tick swing, and really stuck with my guns. It's like I grew acceptance of the fact that CL is wild, instead of trying to mentally control it tick by tick, haha.

As usual though, I had single trade MAE's that are equal to my daily profits. So I'm only making about 1 unit in terms of R on most profitable days. I'm better in other markets. Actually I'm being hard on myself as usual, my average R today was 58 ticks, and I made 144 ticks... so actually I came out with 2.5R. I'm so mean to me unless I make a conscious effort not to be!

Here's the trades, both on a chart and the trade analyzer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow will be the final day of Exercise 3. If feels like a finish line! I'll give a detailed review/analysis/next steps after tomorrow's session.

I also want to say thanks to everyone that takes the time to offer feedback, criticism, and encouragement. I feel honored each time you do.

Closed Thread

Last Updated on August 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts