NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 265 posts (970 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 28 posts (91 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 16 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16 posts (55 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rubyslippage with 18.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 106,693 views
    2. thumb_up 1,774 thanks given
    3. group 85 followers
    1. forum 556 posts
    2. attach_file 50 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

TST Combine Journal

TonyParisi 
Jacksonville, FL

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 40

@TonyParisi Thank you. You're right bro, I certainly do overtrade at times. It's something I've been "aware" of for quite a while, but since I'm profitable I've been ignoring it. Certainly something for me to add to the to do list for the continual revamping process we call trading. I'm a huge fan of accountability, it's part of the reason I have journals on futures.io (formerly BMT). What steps did you take to add accountability that helped you the most?

Probably my most notable turning point was when I started trading 1 lots live. I don't mean sim did absolutely squat for me. But, eventually it became a crutch. Just stick to your plan with 1 lots, or I understand that some people use runners so 2 lots if need be.

If you are dead-set on the combine, why not start on like the $50k???? You only need like $350 a day to hit goal, with a $1k loss limit. With 2-3 lots this should not be a problem I know you can do that I have seen your screencasts! I have seen quite a few great traders on futures.io (formerly BMT) posting calls and being wicked good at timing entries, exits, and overall market structure (mfbreakout, Gabriyele, PrivateBanker, etc, etc, etc). This takes years and years of experience. I'm not even close to being in the same league, these dudes are Pro, and I'm still using the T-Ball stand. But you know what, you can still get by, and get by well using that T-Ball stand.

Make a plan, follow it, no excuses, no regrets, no discretion, no second guessing, FOLLOW IT. Remember it isn't a sprint, it's a journey. You simply experienced a 'pullback'. Keep up the trend dude.

Perhaps watch this 50 times:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Really sorry to hear of what happened today. I'm curious, why did that happen? Did you get caught up in the moment, and forget where you were loss wise before taking that last trade, or did you take that last trade knowing a loser could lead to Combine failure, or unanticipated slippage, or just something else?

Yesterday I wrote in my Combine journal that "daily loss limit" was one of the few combine requirements in my control, and therefore never should be exceeded. But maybe I missed some aspect of it.

There is a lesson here for all Combiners, that definitely goes beyond the trading strategy itself.

If you already did diagnose this, I must have missed it in the thread. Can you tell me the post #?

Thanks

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

indextrader7 View Post
I don’t think I’ve ever truly succeeded at anything in my life.

I don’t know if I will ever be able to not have blowout days in trading. This is my second one in 12 months. All it takes is ONE every 100 months to matter.

I know exactly where to exit trades for small losses. I cannot follow that rule 100% of the time.

I don’t know if I am cut out for trading. I know that I’m not cut out for trading if I cannot fix the problem, and the problem is me.

I don’t know how to fix the problem. There is a way to take the responsibility off myself and only keep enough margin in my personal account to where I’ll be hitting a margin call around the time of a daily loss limit. So that’s one thing I can do, but it doesn’t satisfy the root of the problem.

Honestly I’m tired. My arms are up in the air. I almost just don’t care.

This painful experience WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to change me. I’ve had plenty of them through the years, and I still go back to letting a trade get out of control from time to time.

I don’t know how to fix me.

Thank you for your honesty and quality postings... I've enjoyed them for quite some time now.

If you want a real reset and a fresh start in your trading career... AND are willing to try anything, I suggest you book yourself for a free 10-day meditation course:
The Vipassana Center in Georgia - I think this one is closest to you
(Alternatively, you could find another center at Dhamma.org)

You don't know how to fix you. The 10-day meditation course will give you the tools.

I suggest this only if you are serious about deep personal change.

The rest is up to you, I wish you the best.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

Anagami View Post
Thank you for your honesty and quality postings... I've enjoyed them for quite some time now.

If you want a real reset and a fresh start in your trading career... AND are willing to try anything, I suggest you book yourself for a free 10-day meditation course:

You don't know how to fix you. The 10-day meditation course will give you the tools.

@Anagami is right.

Mindfulness has been the KEY - The Holy Grail - that has kept me afloat in the combine waters.

You can also refer to my experiences at

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

kevinkdog View Post
Really sorry to hear of what happened today. I'm curious, why did that happen? Did you get caught up in the moment, and forget where you were loss wise before taking that last trade, or did you take that last trade knowing a loser could lead to Combine failure, or unanticipated slippage, or just something else?

Yesterday I wrote in my Combine journal that "daily loss limit" was one of the few combine requirements in my control, and therefore never should be exceeded. But maybe I missed some aspect of it.

There is a lesson here for all Combiners, that definitely goes beyond the trading strategy itself.

If you already did diagnose this, I must have missed it in the thread. Can you tell me the post #?

Thanks

I knew exactly where I was p/l wise the whole time. You're right, it was in my control, and should not have been exceeded. It was definitely one of those things where I hesitate on the normal loss, and as mentioned, keep finding levels lower and lower that I think could possibly support price. Eventually it's a very large loss, and I get the feeling, "Well, I've already really screwed this up this bad, might as well let it play out to the bottom of the channel i've been trading off of for weeks. The channel broke and my final stop was underneath it.

It was the classic, move the stop... price nears... move the stop again... big loss.

futuretrader 
Como Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, customized
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 643

Anagami View Post

I would also recommend trying meditation. It may be too much to think of going for one of these 10 day retreats, but there are usually shorter retreats happening all over. And if not that, just start doing it for short periods at home, and build up. The basic instructions for vipassana are simple and take about a paragraph, the rest is just doing it.

It's especially good for helping you interrupt your habitual responses - there's a near perfect negative correlation between my own repetitive stupid mistakes and my persistence in meditating for short sessions throughout the day.

pilotui 
Oklahoma City OK/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradeovate
Trading: NQ/ES/NG
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 153

Exactly, easily one of the best pen to paper quotes I've ever read in my life. You summed up exactly how I felt when I blew all my profits. Bravo.

IT7...take a day, and then get back at it.

FuturesTrader71 View Post
I have a simple question: Are you or are you not committed to being a consistent trader?

In other words, given that we can't change the past and we live in the now-moment, what do you want to do? Would you like to complain, be a victim (maybe) or would you like to take actionable steps to potentially improve the situation for yourself?

Let me know and we can move forward.

Days like today are TEACHERS. They stress-test our risk plan, emotions and attitudes. How are you handling today's test?

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Spent the first part of the day going through an "exercise" in what happens when you don't take your small loss with a fellow trader and new friend.

Started trading after 11AM. Two trades for the day.

First trade was a simple pullback looking for a final push into the 47.25 area. Got filled there, and the rest stopped out near BE.

Second trade was a reversal to long after the remainder of the short was scratched. This trade made a lot of sense to take, as I was seeing a range developing on my higher timeframe. Target was 55, but it stopped 2 ticks shy of there and I got stopped on a pullback before it eventually got there. Still a good trade and well managed.

main trading timeframe

higher timeframe

Hard to really trade off this info, but I think it's pretty significant that we're unable to sustain anything above 1556. Kind of a hint hint like the last time I said "hint" on 3-27-13:

indextrader7 View Post

I figured we would push down to the lower end of the channel that I posted about pre-session today (which interestingly, and bullishly, we failed to do ((hint for tomorrow)).

3-28 (the next day) ended up being a pretty strong up day, we'll see, it's all random anyways (whether this bearish view plays out), but it's just what I see currently.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

indextrader7 View Post
it's all random anyways

eh?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Big Mike View Post
eh?

Mike

Whether that hypothesis plays out or the exact opposite happens = random. That's my current bias though.

Closed Thread

Last Updated on August 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts