NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 265 posts (970 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 28 posts (91 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 16 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16 posts (55 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rubyslippage with 18.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 107,120 views
    2. thumb_up 1,774 thanks given
    3. group 85 followers
    1. forum 556 posts
    2. attach_file 50 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

TST Combine Journal

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Daily stop hit today. 4 trades, 4 full stops.

Man, that hasn't happened in a while, which is a great thing, but boy it doesn't make it feel any better! I feel pissed at my coach for taking me off the mound when I "know" I can strike the next guy out. Deep down, I'm glad to have a coach though. I used to not have one.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Trade by trade recap, entry and exit.

Trade 1: Went short due to slowing momentum entering a resistance level.

I was quickly stopped.

Trade 2: Yes it was a 2 candle stall at support, but I chose to ignore the selling tails and the descending triangle forming against me.

Trade 3: Now we're trending down, but I wasn't aware of a longer term wedge forming on the 30 min chart, so I'm late to the party with this attempt at a continuation trade.

Stopped quickly... again.

Trade 4: Now we're grinding higher in an uptrend, and I go for the higher probability play with the pullback at support.

That my friends is a rough day.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Practice combine update:

I haven't posted the would-be stats in a while. I'll do it graphically today.

Here's overall net p/l performance. The blue line is what pace you have to be keeping to hit p/l targets in the 20 minimum days, the green line is what you have to stay above to hit the target in the max allowed 40 days.

Days traded 11, winning days 73%

20-trade rolling average of win% and win:loss (combine will use the total cumulative number which you can eyeball)

Here's a graph showing cumulative P/L (can also eyeball drawdown figures) in green and right axis. Each individual trade p/l is the bar chart in blue (left axis)

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

DarkPoolTrading View Post
Hey it7,

You mentioned yesterday that you were looking for some feedback on your blog posts to get an idea of whether you should continue them. I for one think they're excellent. I especially enjoyed the article on charting your win% against your win:loss size ratio. These are two of the many stats that I already keep in my trade stats spreadsheet but i've never thought of charting them like that. Although keeping stats are useful, it is in how we analyze and interpret them that we benefit and learn from them. The human brain generally responds extremely well to visuals (more so than pure data), so anytime there is an opportunity to visually represent data in a chart there is potential for increased learning. I will be incorporating this into my spreadsheet over the weekend.

Keep up the good work with the live webcasts. It's both inspiring and educational to watch an experienced trader walk us though his thought process. What im finding great is to see how losing trades dont affect your decision to take the next trade. You simply take the trade and manage the risk. Something i've been trying to improve on over the last few weeks.

How long do you typically trade for? I wasn't able to watch the whole of yesterday's webcast but the prior days you seemed to be done after a couple hours. Do you then move on to trading other instruments or are you done?

Do you find it best to apply complete focus for a limited time and stop trading as apposed to trading the whole day but potentially not having as much focus?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I literally have hundreds of people a day lurking the webcasts, blog, and the bmt journals, and I bet I average 3 "thanks" or interactions per day. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I typically trade until around lunch. Unless it's been really good and I feel like stopping, or it's really bad and I have to force myself to stop (like today). I really don't have any concrete rules for how long I trade each day, it's determined by how the trading is going, my emotional state, my physical state, my daily schedule, etc. If I am down for the day after a few hours, but not frustrated, and the markets are not in some awful state, I will keep going until I can get a big winner and end the day on a good note.

Yes, I think it's best to apply complete focus for a couple hours and be done. Given the short term nature of the moves I trade, if i'm "on", I should have been able to bank some ticks in a 4 hour period. In a realistically perfect world, I start to trade around 7CST, take 5 trades over the next 3 hours, with 2 small losers, 2 20+ tick winners, and a scratched trade.

Thanks again for the feedback. It certainly provides extrinsic motivation to continue to freely share what I know with other traders.

Best,

IT7

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

An interesting observation I made regarding the crude market lately. I posted it on the journal, because I figured more people might be interested there, but I didn't want to leave out anyone here.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Live webcast trading session starting in 7 minutes or so https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2023/04/new-community-features-for-google-chat-and-an-update-currents%20.html on google+

or watch the feed at indextrader7 - YouTube

I'll be using the S5 Platform today.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Another daily loss limit today. Very frustrating to put it mildly. It's my own fault today though. I had opportunities. Here's the overall picture. More analysis later after I take a break to clear my head.

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

indextrader7 View Post
Another daily loss limit today. Very frustrating to put it mildly. It's my own fault today though. I had opportunities. Here's the overall picture. More analysis later after I take a break to clear my head.

Hey man - happens to the best of us. Keep trying, keep focusing on the simple stuff - don't look for something complicated to fix anything. The devil is in the details and its attention to consistency and emotional balance that will keep you on the path to better and better performance. Clear your head and don't dwell too much on negatives going into the weekend. Next week's a whole new week.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

I really like the first chart in post #73, the Combine goal vs. net P/L. That is a very good visualization of where one stands and he can evaluate his performance with one quick look. If the performance keeps staying under the goal line, an adjustment is needed.

What did you use to make that chart?

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Pedro40 View Post
I really like the first chart in post #73, the Combine goal vs. net P/L. That is a very good visualization of where one stands and he can evaluate his performance with one quick look. If the performance keeps staying under the goal line, an adjustment is needed.

What did you use to make that chart?

excel line graph

Closed Thread

Last Updated on August 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts