NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 258 posts (612 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 121 posts (306 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 49 posts (167 thanks)
    4. looks_4 emini2000 with 36 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DarkPoolTrading with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Topstep with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 491,349 views
    2. thumb_up 2,123 thanks given
    3. group 387 followers
    1. forum 1,296 posts
    2. attach_file 44 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

Hoag 
Chicago Illinois

Experience: Advanced
Platform: T4
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 317

bobwest View Post

You will need to show the required profitability to have a pass.

Perhaps either @TopstepTrader or @Hoag could post a reply here to make it official.

By the way, as a suggestion for @TopstepTrader or @Hoag -- can you put the profit target on the dashboard? I have wanted to see it there for a long time, and this confusion here is a good argument for it. It is shown clearly on the website, but it would be much more clear, and always in front of the trader's mind, if it were shown on the dashboard. I can't understand what the reason would be to not have it there.

Bob.

HI,

Yes, to succeed in the Combine, you must adhere to the rules and meet the profit target.

As always thanks for the suggestions about the dashboard, we will have the profit feature when we launch a new dashboard that will be coming soon.

Hoag

If you have any questions about our Trading Combine or the opportunity to get funded through TopstepTrader, please visit www.topsteptrader.com or contact us at [email protected] or 888.407.1611.
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
 rgakalo 
Baku, Azerbaijan

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Meta Trader
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 60

Hi Hoag,
sorry, if this has been already asked but when do you plan to open funded Forex account and will carrying of positions overnight be available in it?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,343
Thanks Received: 26,267

I just put up a post in the "other" TST thread, the vendor review thread, which was copied from my reply to a PM asking for recommendations about which Combine to take. Naturally, there's no one answer for everyone, but you can weigh some of the factors to try to get something that works for you, as well as just decide if you should do it at all.

If anyone is interested, you can read it here:

I didn't want to fill up the AMA thread with something that is my opinion.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Tymbeline 
Leeds UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: MES, MNQ
Thanks Given: 2,343
Thanks Received: 1,054

emini2000 View Post
Say I chose the 3 lot combine.

Please excuse my interjecting a slightly "cautionary note", but I thought it would do no harm for someone to mention (pedantic though it sounds - sorry!) that that's really a "$30k Combine" rather than a "3-lot Combine".

I know it sounds really nitpicky, when you clearly meant "The Combine in which it's permitted to trade 3 lots" but it's actually quite a significant conceptual difference, the point being that trading the maximum number of lots permitted in any Combine may well be far from the best plan: huge numbers of people, including many with profitable methods, have inadvertently fallen foul of daily loss limits and/or hit trailing maximum drawdown limits that way.

For myself, I wouldn't trade more than a single lot in the $30k Combine, and if wanting to trade two lots, would try the $50k one as a minimum. Most of my own methods require trading a minimum of 3 lots (without which I can't scale in and out as I need to), and in practice I'd try either the $100k or $150k Combines, to do so. The emphasis is very much on risk management, when demonstrating to people that you should be trusted to trade with their funds.

Wishing you good luck with it.

emini2000
Atlanta GA USA

Thanks Given: 70
Thanks Received: 271

Tymbeline View Post
Please excuse my interjecting a slightly "cautionary note", but I thought it would do no harm for someone to mention (pedantic though it sounds - sorry!) that that's really a "$30k Combine" rather than a "3-lot Combine".

I know it sounds really nitpicky, when you clearly meant "The Combine in which it's permitted to trade 3 lots" but it's actually quite a significant conceptual difference, the point being that trading the maximum number of lots permitted in any Combine may well be far from the best plan: huge numbers of people, including many with profitable methods, have inadvertently fallen foul of daily loss limits and/or hit trailing maximum drawdown limits that way.

For myself, I wouldn't trade more than a single lot in the $30k Combine, and if wanting to trade two lots, would try the $50k one as a minimum. Most of my own methods require trading a minimum of 3 lots (without which I can't scale in and out as I need to), and in practice I'd try either the $100k or $150k Combines, to do so. The emphasis is very much on risk management, when demonstrating to people that you should be trusted to trade with their funds.

Thanks.

Yeah, I just couldn't remember which one it was at the time so I identified it by lots.

I think I would rather do the $30k and trade 1 with the occasional 2 due to the lower profit target. And as Bob pointed out, the daily lots resets every day, so that's a good thing. If you get close just quit and trade again the next day.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Tymbeline View Post

Very good points. Risk control is essential in the choice of Combines.

Bob.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

emini2000 View Post
Thanks.

Yeah, I just couldn't remember which one it was at the time so I identified it by lots.

I think I would rather do the $30k and trade 1 with the occasional 2 due to the lower profit target. And as Bob pointed out, the daily lots resets every day, so that's a good thing. If you get close just quit and trade again the next day.

The daily loss limit resets every day, (or actually, although I did put it that way, what's really going on is that it's a daily-only limit; every day has the same limit, and it doesn't carry forward) which I think is what you meant.

But there is still the trailing max drawdown, which never goes away and which is always waiting.

The thing to do is figure out the daily loss you are willing to accept, and that you need as a cushion. The 30K has a daily loss limit of $500. So if you have a 4-point loss in ES, you just lost $200 per contract. Or $400 for two. That means you better not do that twice in a row.

So it is something to work out, based on how you trade and what kind of daily loss you may need to be able to live through. Remember that very tight stops will mean smaller losses per trade, but sometimes also mean more losing trades because they get hit more often. So it's an overall strategic question, and should be approached, I would say, very conservatively.

I would do just as @Tymbeline suggested if I needed to use enough contracts for a scaling-in strategy. I do 50K because I do a 1-contract, all-in-all-out strategy. I would be scared to do the 30K even with one contract.

Now, that's only me. I'm just trying to lay out what I believe makes sense to think about. If you go into the 30K having figured all this out and with your eyes open, and with a realistic consideration of your strategy, how successful it is and what size cushion you need for the losing trades, then no problem.

Bob.

Thanked by:

KahunaDog 
Hawaii at the beach

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Nt8, MotiveWave, TOS
Broker: S5
Trading: ES, ZB fine alcohol and muscle cars
Thanks Given: 1,168
Thanks Received: 412

TopstepTrader View Post
* Always implement stops with an open position

Michael Patak

Does this mean you need to enter with an atm? I mean can you manually enter, then set stops and targets?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

KahunaDog View Post
Does this mean you need to enter with an atm? I mean can you manually enter, then set stops and targets?

Trading Combine Rules
1. Trade a minimum of 10 days
2. Trade permitted products and times
3. Do not hit or exceed the Daily Loss Limit
4. Do not allow your Account Balance to hit or exceed the Trailing Max Drawdown

REMOVED:
• Always implement stops with an open position
• Achieve at least 45% Profitable Days
• Achieve an Average Net P&L greater than $0 for each product traded

Thus you need not have a hard stop in the market while trading for the combine, but need to ensure that you do not hit the Daily Loss Limit

Thank My New Journal https://nexusfi.com/trading-journals/56579-just-being-trader-letting-go.html
Please visit and thank individual posts if you feel they are / will be serving some purpose for someone! Remember: Gratitude begets gratitude!
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
Surprise
Amman/Jordan

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 13

Tymbeline View Post

Why they call it a $30K combine then ? Surely you are not allowed to lose $30K nor you need that much to daytrade 1-3 lots , so whats the point from calling combines $30K or $100K ?

Closed Thread

Last Updated on January 31, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts